Ryan Walters may be our guy

Jonnyeagle

I have not given up on Seth, but if we do need a replacement hire I think Ryan Walters may be the guy.  Known as an outstanding recruiter, he has coached at North Texas before and understand the situation and what needs to get done.  Known as the very best recruiter in the country.   Only problem is paying his buyout won't be cheap, it's $750K.

Illinois has extended defensive coordinator Ryan Walters' contract through the 2024 season, adding one year to his initial three-year contract, which pays him $850,000 this season. In a press release announcing the move, Illinois said Walters will be paid the third-most among Big Ten defensive coordinators and top-10 nationally for his position.

According to an Illinois press release, Walters' base salary increases to $1,050,000 for the 2022 season, with $100,000 raises in each of the two seasons that follow. He will also be eligible for annual retention incentives of at least $250,000 per season. His contract includes a $1,000,000 buyout for any non-head coaching position in the Big Ten, and a $750,000 buyout for any non-head coaching position outside of the Big Ten.

I think he would be a fantastic hire and unlike Fuente would still be hungry to win. 

Edited by Jonnyeagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

7 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Only problem is paying his buyout won't be cheap, it's $750K.

Actually I don’t think there is a buyout if we hire him as head coach.   With Seth and presumably Phil Bennett gone with him I would like to have him as DC.  But I don’t want if UNT is paying Illinois 750k to get him on top of his DC salary his first year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

The window to get rid of Seth has passed. The transfer portal opens on December 5th. We will be playing in the conference championship a few days before it. There’s not enough time to get a new guy/staff in place. The portal and NIL have changed the landscape of college fb.

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Presumably Wren & company has a very short list of guys that will be free and won’t take long to consider an offer to be head coach.  Seth may resign if he doesn’t get an extension so you absolutely can’t let him and fear hold the program hostage.  I think you absolutely cannot go forward with him if they have a bad showing in San Antonio.

Yeah, I am sure he does have a short list. Maybe I should have edited my post to the chances of him getting let go are growing smaller by the day due to the changes in the transfer portal. I doubt he resigns. I would be content getting 2 mil a year, access to a private jet, low expectations of just making a bowl game and having a .500 record. 

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

I doubt he resigns. I would be content getting 2 mil a year, access to a private jet, low expectations of just making a bowl game and having a .500 record. 

No way any coach would leave such a cushy position.  Being average in an easy conference and paid $2M plus bonuses.  Only Wren can stop the bleeding!

Come on Wren, hire your own football head coach!!

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

The window to get rid of Seth has passed. The transfer portal opens on December 5th. We will be playing in the conference championship a few days before it. There’s not enough time to get a new guy/staff in place. The portal and NIL have changed the landscape of college fb.

Case in point on why mid-season firings will and should become the norm. 

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

the window is closing, coaches are interviewing all over the country this week, I dont know if they can wait a week. 

There has to be some sort of deadline on making a decision on SL, I would assume the school would not want to be suck in the middle of the transfer window with out a coach. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

the window is closing, coaches are interviewing all over the country this week, I dont know if they can wait a week

I think this is a false sense of urgency. Coaches and players are going to continue to shuffle in the coming weeks. Waiting until after the CCG will be fine. There are 131 FBS jobs, and with the facilities upgrades that have happened over the last few years and the commitment from administration at UNT, this is a better job than it was 8 years ago. There will be good candidates who want this job should it open up. I think that, should a change in leadership of the FB program be made, next year is going to be another tough year no matter who takes over.

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I think this is a false sense of urgency. Coaches and players are going to continue to shuffle in the coming weeks. Waiting until after the CCG will be fine. There are 131 FBS jobs, and with the facilities upgrades that have happened over the last few years and the commitment from administration at UNT, this is a better job than it was 8 years ago. There will be good candidates who want this job should it open up. I think that, should a change in leadership of the FB program be made, next year is going to be another tough year no matter who takes over.

how long can a school wait?  players are going to start moving as soon as the window opens on the 5th, how well can a school recruit with out a coaching staff in place?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I'll also add that I think Ryan Walters would be a good hire, given that he goes out and hires a good offensive mind for his OC. Ryan's young and a great DC and recruiter by most accounts. I think he'll be a great HC when given his shot.

What would be nice -

Bring in G.J. Kinne as your OC.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

how long can a school wait?  players are going to start moving as soon as the window opens on the 5th, how well can a school recruit with out a coaching staff in place?

I think most good transfer movement will be players following their current coaches, at least early on in the transfer window. The rest will shake itself out in the coming weeks. Transfer players enjoy being courted as much as HS players do. I don’t think a ton of movement will occur right away. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what my gut says.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

It depends on if you are only handing out a one year contract to the new coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I think most good transfer movement will be players following their current coaches, at least early on in the transfer window. The rest will shake itself out in the coming weeks. Transfer players enjoy being courted as much as HS players do. I don’t think a ton of movement will occur right away. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what my gut says.

I would have thought the transfer process would take a little longer given that the student athlete would still be accepted into the university.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Ryan Walters is a STUD that can recruit pretty much anywhere in the country. He would do wonders for UNT by strengthening our recruiting status in DFW, while attracting athletes across the country as well. I absolutely love his resume and the grind he's had across all of the schools he's worked with. 

People would be foolish not to consider him seriously 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Guys will be transferring from the beginning of the transfer window up until summer. It will depend on their individual circumstances who transfers when. Some will make it based on how their season shakes out. Some will make it based on other coaching changes that will be occurring at the end of the season, and some will be making it based on what happens in Spring. 

Also, I believe UNT's Spring transfer deadline is 12/1/22, so anybody with plans to be here for Spring has likely already applied. Otherwise, guys have until July.

On 11/27/2022 at 12:01 PM, jtm0097 said:

Yeah, I am sure he does have a short list. Maybe I should have edited my post to the chances of him getting let go are growing smaller by the day due to the changes in the transfer portal. I doubt he resigns. I would be content getting 2 mil a year, access to a private jet, low expectations of just making a bowl game and having a .500 record. 

Unfortunately you might be right.  I couldn’t go with a puking eagle reaction or downvote.   No reaction conveys sadness. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1