Littrell banking up on bonuses

meangreenfaninno

4 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Not in CUSA.

Seth has a better than average record against CUSA teams. In fact - his record over that timeframe is amongst the teams that have won the conference over the same timeframe.

I don't think if salary was reduced and Seth had the most wins per dollar we would be happy with no conference championships and no bowl wins during Seth's tenure. The pay is right where we want to be.

He is 3 or 4 conference wins short over the past 7 years from having the best record.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

Seth has a better than average record against CUSA teams. In fact - his record over that timeframe is amongst the teams that have won the conference over the same timeframe.

I don't think if salary was reduced and Seth had the most wins per dollar we would be happy with no conference championships and no bowl wins during Seth's tenure. The pay is right where we want to be.

He is 3 or 4 conference wins short over the past 7 years from having the best record.

I was responding to your salary claim of him making average salary.  Compared apples to apples in CUSA, he is in the top two.  

I don't understand your reference to CUSA wins.  Sure, he can beat the sisters-of-the-poor of the conference plus an FCS every year.  But no OOC G5 wins, yet still have 6 wins and a lame bowl invite.   Another participation ribbon.   6 wins and a bowl loss is not worthy of $2M+ that we're paying.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Pay range for this position is on par with these Group of 5 schools:

Boise State

Tulane

UTSA

UAB

Toledo

Liberty

Tulsa

BYU

Coastal Carolina

SDSU

Memphis

Fresno St

Army

Central Michingan

Wyoming

FIU

UNLV

MTSU

Rice

Uconn

ECU

New Mexico

Others making significantly more:

SMU

Houston

Air Force

Navy

Temple

South Florida

Colorado State

Source:

https://coacheshotseat.com/CFBCoachesSalaries.htm

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

Please remember as someone already clearly pointed out that the only reason we are in the Championship game is because 3 teams left for the SunBelt forcing a change in the format. 

Keep that in mind. 

Also remember the ONLY reason these bonuses are being paid is because WB agreed to them.

• Upvote 3
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, NT80 said:

According to that link Seth is the top paid CUSA coach by $500K per year.   

Square at the 83rd highest paid head coach in the country out of 131. That's in the bottom half of all of D1. At $2M per year.

A top paid CUSA coach is delivering top CUSA results.

Most of the teams we play out of conference have head coaches making more.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

51 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

That isn't the average salary for CUSA pay during his tenure.  His salary was always near the top of CUSA.  That is the measuring stick not Big 12 or SEC salaries were 1.8 million is Coordinator salary sometimes.

He doesn't have average CUSA results. He has near the top CUSA results (as bad as that is).

Both are nothing to puff out our chests about. CUSA salaries are in the bottom half of all schools. CUSA results across the board are in the bottom half of all schools.

If you want better results (which we all do), get ready to pay a lot more - not just for coaches.

We are a monetary underdog walking into just about every game not in CUSA and we are getting upset about results not going our way. Ya'll are getting upset about dice not rolling UNTs way when they are weighted against UNT. Some of you act like North Texas is the one carrying the weighted dice... For most CUSA matchups, you'd be right, but for the rest - not so much.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I am ready to move on if he doesn't win a trophy this year, but I am ok with him getting these bonuses. When you make those contracts you cannot plan for how these achievements look in all circumstances, including the fact that you get to the conference championship looking this mediocre and being 7-5. Despite it being impossible to plan for that, it is still the right move to have a significant portion of the salary as incentives rather than base salary. In fact, i think SLs incentives are too small and the base salary too high.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, NT80 said:

I was responding to your salary claim of him making average salary.  Compared apples to apples in CUSA, he is in the top two.  

I don't understand your reference to CUSA wins.  Sure, he can beat the sisters-of-the-poor of the conference plus an FCS every year.  But no OOC G5 wins, yet still have 6 wins and a lame bowl invite.   Another participation ribbon.   6 wins and a bowl loss is not worthy of $2M+ that we're paying.  

If you are comparing salaries against CUSA, you have to compare records for only CUSA which is exactly what @MeanMagis doing. You want to pay for premium hamburger while expecting filet results. We are paying for some of the best CUSA but if you want top G5, you better pony up like those teams from Dallas and Houston.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I think people read these things and get mad at SL, when there is really someone else they should be getting mad at. Of course SL would sign these contracts with a great salary and reasonable bonus structure, wouldn't you?

Meanwhile, recruiting is currently in the dump, but if i say, just let him play out his contract others will say that is silly, because then our recruiting will go in the dump if he doesn't have more guaranteed years.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Meanwhile, recruiting is currently in the dump, but if i say, just let him play out his contract others will say that is silly, because then our recruiting will go in the dump if he doesn't have more guaranteed years.

Mazin Richards, Kaylon Horton, and Jordan Smart say our new recruiting strategy works pretty well.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

I think people read these things and get mad at SL, when there is really someone else they should be getting mad at. Of course SL would sign these contracts with a great salary and reasonable bonus structure, wouldn't you?

Right. Seth is not stealing from this university. He’s doing his job and performing to expectation and budget. I imagine everyone wants to see above expected and budgeted results, because that actually happens and that’s what we all want, but generally it will require a non-linear increase in $.

93DB33E2-29E9-478B-B0D8-D6A310AF5DFA.png

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3