UNC-Wilmington (11/27/22)

CMJ

I've been saying it for a while, Ousmane has not been himself. He was a giant hole in our game today. FTs are so critical, we need to shoot better from the line. That alone would have kept us in the game. Too many mental mistakes and just unaware of what to do when having the ball. 

Most of all I feel for Rubin, he just can't catch a break. I really hope it's nothing serious. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Hurts because as poorly as we looked on offense, we still had a chance at the end. Tough to swallow but 2 wins in 3 days is still a silver lining when we haven't had a whole time to gel in between injuries and the flu. Thankfully no one looked to be seriously hurt by that floor. Still glad we get tournament opportunities like this. On to the next. 

4 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I've been saying it for a while, Ousmane has not been himself. He was a giant hole in our game today. FTs are so critical, we need to shoot better from the line. That alone would have kept us in the game. Too many mental mistakes and just unaware of what to do when having the ball. 

Most of all I feel for Rubin, he just can't catch a break. I really hope it's nothing serious. 

Sounds weird, but part of me looks at all that movement on the outside.  It's almost like our G play was over-working on the outside, and not looking for Abou like maybe they should have?

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Sounds weird, but part of me looks at all that movement on the outside.  It's almost like our G play was over-working on the outside, and not looking for Abou like maybe they should have?

I feel like they weren't going inside because they played tough defense and because Abu was not doing well in the matchup. His hook shot and inside pivot game look nothing like last year. I don't know if the passing was a plan to open lanes up, but it wasn't throwing their defense off at all. 

Just now, Green Otaku said:

I feel like they weren't going inside because they played tough defense and because Abu was not doing well in the matchup. His hook shot and inside pivot game look nothing like last year. I don't know if the passing was a plan to open lanes up, but it wasn't throwing their defense off at all. 

Yeah, they played physical defense on the outside.  Their guards just seemed to outwork ours.

14 minutes ago, South Texas Green said:

Hurts because as poorly as we looked on offense, we still had a chance at the end. Tough to swallow but 2 wins in 3 days is still a silver lining when we haven't had a whole time to gel in between injuries and the flu. Thankfully no one looked to be seriously hurt by that floor. Still glad we get tournament opportunities like this. On to the next. 

So Jones was alright?

Followed on ESPN.  My take from reviewing the Team Stats was that our shooting was subpar, FT shooting continued to struggle and turnovers.  Really, take care of the turnovers and we would have won.

I am not worried about this team.  It is still early with a number of new faces.  They now get a week off prior to returning against Omaha on Saturday.  Everything that is a current issue is easily remedied and I expect Mac & Staff to do so.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

only caught the 2nd half, but the team looked very sloppy, 16 turn overs 😱 and 38% on free throws has to improve. 

It looked like the second half strategy was for the guards to try and drive inside and draw fouls.  But instead we kept getting the ball stripped or became off balanced to just throw up a bad short shot.  Turnovers were totally the difference.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Shark 64 said:

This team just needs 3-4 days of practice in a row with everyone healthy. Omaha is Saturday so we should be able to get some work in Tuesday through Friday. 

Yes, it was a team bonding trip and lots of game play in 3 days.  This loss is like Buffalo last season, a lesson learned, about protecting the ball and value each possession in a close contest.

• Upvote 2

I really appreciate the kind of players we recruit as people .   The coaches can work with these guys and get the best out of these players     Kind of like the Spurs philosophy of signing players. 

We look better the last two years at this point in the season than probably any team over the last 30 years of me watching us play,  except for maybe the Josh White team that beat the Big 12 team at the Pit. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1