****OFFICIAL RICE vs UNT GAME DISCUSSION THREAD****

Coach Andy Mac

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

I think everyone needs to look around and see if this feels like what a championship run should feel like. I think that says all that needs to be said about how the team has performed this year. 

This is what happens. Everyone is so short sighted. Is it that we limped it into the championship or is it that you were the 2nd best team in a bad conference? Guess it is perspective. Me personally, I expect better than to just squeak by in a bad conference.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

This is what happens. Everyone is so short sighted. Is it that we limped it into the championship or is it that you were the 2nd best team in a bad conference? Guess it is perspective. Me personally, I expect better than to just squeak by in a bad conference.

It would be great if UNT had looked like a conference winner all season. But winning the conference is what people will remember, if the Mean Green can get it done. And if that happens and the team wins a bowl, 2022 will be one fans celebrate for a long time.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

5 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Yes, they beat us in rushing yards and passing yards…but lost in the biggest stat of all.  2 turnovers to our zero.  

Against UTSA,UAB, and RICE our defense was on the field about 10 minutes longer that theirs. I don't think we are good enough to continue this trend, and really don't see how we stayed on the field with the Roadrunners a month ago.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Just curious, what do you consider squeaking by and what is not squeaking by?

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, wardly said:

Against UTSA,UAB, and RICE our defense was on the field about 10 minutes longer that theirs. I don't think we are good enough to continue this trend, and really don't see how we stayed on the field with the Roadrunners a month ago.

We ask a lot from our defense. The number of  3 and outs on offense is brutal. If we can put together some drives and give our defense any type of break, they usually respond well. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Had some bad losses and wins over teams we were expected to beat.  If we defeat UTSA on Friday it'll be our first league title in nearly two decades.  I won't care how we got there just like I never much cared how we became Sunbelt champs.  The important thing is the trophy.

But if we won it - would it feel like a championship run? Because it's really all about feelings.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Is it fair to say the defense made a good deal of strides during the season after starting out fairly mediocre? Meanwhile the offense has regressed more than it should have from the RB injuries (all teams have injuries after all), has loads of trouble staying on the field these days and the end result is that the overall team is not horrible, but also not inspiring and unlikely to overcome an opponent who is good at converting chances.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, golfingomez said:

Just curious, what do you consider squeaking by and what is not squeaking by?

Squeaking by is losing to a UAB team with a chance to clench the championship, then taking a bad Rice team down to the final minutes to get into the championship. 

See my previous comment. You were the 2nd best in a bad conference. You can sugar coat it by saying we just had to be better than all those other bad teams, but going into the AAC with this kind of mentality will not end well.

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 2

10 hours ago, keith said:

Jeez…we played the exact same conference schedule as UTSA with the exception of us playing 4-4 FAU and UTSA playing 4-4 MTSU. 

Ok, and what is their conf record? Now compared to ours.... they took care of business, we almost lost to Rice. I get it may not matter to some people because of the win, but that Rice game wasn't pretty.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

I guess i missed that UTSA won ALL of their conference games by 3 scores or more.....Close games happen, it's about the W.  We got it, they didnt, we play next week, and a whole bunch of other school dont...PERIOD

I will happily eat crow if SL wins Conference and Bowl, until then this is the same song, same dance.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Ok, and what is their conf record? Now compared to ours.... they took care of business, we almost lost to Rice. I get it may not matter to some people because of the win, but that Rice game wasn't pretty.

You might want to check on how many of their wins came down to the last minute, several in overtime. Half their conference wins were by one score, so lose me with the "we almost lost to Rice".

They "almost lost to":

Us, Army (a 6 loss team), Western Kentucky, UAB (double OT), and UTEP (a 7 loss team)

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigWillie said:

UTSA squeaked by UNT and UTEP.

Who cares? Go win a championship.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigWillie said:

You probably should have taken a peek at UTSA’s schedule before posting this.  

And, are you telling me UNT has reached such elite status that winning isn’t good enough, but we have to win pretty*?

*I would also submit that several elite schools have been very happy to “win ugly” the past few weeks.  It’s a lot better than losing.

• Upvote 2