We hired Seth and Tulane hired Fritz

meangreen11

Up until this season most people would have probably said we made the better hire.  I’m not going to take the time to research it, but I bet a lot of coaches hired during that off season didn’t do nearly as well as SL.  

I lied.  I did research it briefly.  I stand by my statement after looking at this list.

https://footballscoop.com/.amp/news/2015-16-head-coaching-changes

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

14 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Up until this season most people would have probably said we made the better hire.  I’m not going to take the time to research it, but I bet a lot of coaches hired during that off season didn’t do nearly as well as SL.  

Must consider quality of opponents (or lack of) when considering just record as a success measure. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Must consider quality of opponents (or lack of) when considering just record as a success measure. 

Also state of the program, I know we had a horrific season the season before he arrived but the program was just 2 years removed from a bowl win.  It wasn’t like taking over Buffalo or Umass a couple years ago.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

27 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Absolutely.  AAC has had up to 3-4 ranked teams some seasons.  CUSA, not so much.

Interesting take. I would think every fan base would feel pretty much the same about a .500 record.  I guess SMU is over the moon with Rhett LaShae.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

4 wins, 2 wins... what's the significance difference 

6th season coming off a 6-6 season with an overall conference record of 15-25

vs

4th season coming off a 9-4 season with an overall conference record of 15-9.

That is the difference. If Seth has a 2 win season you can bet your house that he will be canned, surprising that Fritz was not.

• Upvote 5

I don't know where some of y'all get that SL is a sure-fire goner if he doesn't win the CUSA ship and/or bowl.  Would love to see/hear your sources.

I have not read or heard anything from up top that gives any indication.  Nothing.  It feels no different than the previous 2 seasons right now.  If anything, they are more optimistic about being in first in line (er, first in line after UTSA) for the conference championship.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

I don't know where some of y'all get that SL is a sure-fire goner if he doesn't win the CUSA ship and/or bowl.  Would love to see/hear your sources.

I have not read or heard anything from up top that gives any indication.  Nothing.  It feels no different than the previous 2 seasons right now.  If anything, they are more optimistic about being in first in line (er, first in line after UTSA) for the conference championship.

We’re clearly speculating based on our own desires, but it’s hard to imagine Wren and co. are seeing Seth’s body of work as acceptable in the long term. Especially if we want to compete at the level the university says it does.

• Upvote 3

With the exception of a handful of coaches or ADs that see something in the coach or have patience to see the process through, the head coach industry is a what have you done for me lately business.  Tulane has done well this year.  Assuming we move on our coaching staff and hire someone like Willie Fritz, are we willing to be patient enough to wait through a 6 year conference record like the one below before we go 7-1 in and get to 10-2 for the regular season?  

1.  1-7  (4-8)

2.  3-5  (5-7)

3.  5-3  (6-6)

4.  3-5  (6-6)

5.  3-5  (6-5)

6.  1-7  (2-10)

7.  7-1  (10-2)

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, greenminer said:

I think you are correct and that Wren probably has no desire to get rid of him (especially if it keeps him from avoiding the big money donors). I also think the way this has been handled 100% reinforces what other schools and fans say about UNT football - Winning is not a priority. I have always tried to understand why players from Denton do not stay at North Texas, when you see players in places like Houston stay at the local university. I think a great example is what the coach for Denton Guyer said their interview during one of their playoff games; players want to play at schools with an "expectation of excellence". Seth gives us a very average coach - He is our Rick Stockstill.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1