DRC: North Texas basketball chalk talk -- UNT vs. San Jose State

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

Seems like we are doing more tournaments/overseas/unique OOC matchups then we were trying to do prior to Coach Grant.

Maybe it's just me.

I wonder if it's because we are having to get creative with finding quality matchups because of all the success that has come with McCasland.

We got into the NIT one year…. Of course we all know how that ended…

Honestly all most every year for the last 10-15 years we have played in a tourney. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

Seems like we are doing more tournaments/overseas/unique OOC matchups then we were trying to do prior to Coach Grant.

Maybe it's just me.

I wonder if it's because we are having to get creative with finding quality matchups because of all the success that has come with McCasland.

Grant has stated in a couple of interviews that these tournaments are the only way they can get challenging games.  Nobody will do a home & home with him.  Every Big 12 team in Texas and Oklahoma has declined at some point in the past 3 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Honestly all most every year for the last 10-15 years we have played in a tourney. 

Doesn't appear so.  Here is what I could find on MGS going back to 2012.  I thought it was interesting that the NIT Season Tip Off in 2012 is not clearly labeled on our website.  They just look like normal scheduled games.  Other tournaments are clearly labeled.  Maybe there are others that we did that are not clearly marked?

2022-2023 (2) Baha Mar Hoops Nassau // 2022 Naismith BBall HOF Jerry Colangelo Classic
2021-2022 (3) ESPN Events Invite // 2021 Naismith Memorial HOF Classic // Compete 4 Cause Classic
2020-2021 NONE
2019-2020 (1) Jersey Mike's Jamaica Classic
2018-2019 (2) Outrigger Hotels Rainbow Classic // Wolfpack Classic
2017-2018 NONE

2016-2017 NONE
2015-2016 NONE
2014-2015 NONE
2013-2014 NONE
2012-2013 (1) NIT Season Tip-Off

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Doesn't appear so.  Here is what I could find on MGS going back to 2012.  I thought it was interesting that the NIT Season Tip Off in 2012 is not clearly labeled on our website.  They just look like normal scheduled games.  Other tournaments are clearly labeled.  Maybe there are others that we did that are not clearly marked?

2022-2023 (2) Baha Mar Hoops Nassau // 2022 Naismith BBall HOF Jerry Colangelo Classic
2021-2022 (3) ESPN Events Invite // 2021 Naismith Memorial HOF Classic // Compete 4 Cause Classic
2020-2021 NONE
2019-2020 (1) Jersey Mike's Jamaica Classic
2018-2019 (2) Outrigger Hotels Rainbow Classic // Wolfpack Classic
2017-2018 NONE

2016-2017 NONE
2015-2016 NONE
2014-2015 NONE
2013-2014 NONE
2012-2013 (1) NIT Season Tip-Off

They must not be marked because we did one in California before…. As well as one where we played in Oregon or Washington I think. Portland was in that one. Most all of Benfords years we had tournaments. Some were just four teams. Which that was in 13-14. Just checked. 

15-16 we were in a tournament where we hosted games. I had oral surgery that year and remember going to the Idaho game right after. It was the mean green showcase tournament. 

it seems like almost every year we played in some form of tournament wether we host it or not. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2