Loaded sophomore class

ntmeangreen11

Earle, Gunnell, JD Head, Ragsdale, Johnson, Adaway, Adeyi, Jordan Smart, Detraveon Brown, Damon Ward, Roberts, Alderbing, Duncan, Blair, Gallo, Roach, Pickett, R. Brown, E. Jackson, Trieb, Jordan Brown, Texada, Nick Nakwaasah, Logan Wilson, L. Thompson, D. Williams, Harold West

A few unknowns in there, especially the QB position, a couple guys injured in the spring but would have played (Nakwaasah & D. Brown) unlisted scholarship players who still have plenty of time to figure it out in Khatib Lyles, Dorian Morris, Bryce Linder, Christian Lee, and Daxton Byers there is significant talent in this class. I don't know how many of these guys should be juniors due to COVID, or how many still have a redshirt year, but if we can keep them on campus, and one of the three QB's show they can play we should be pretty damn good. We will be fielding 20+ talented seniors with a whole lot of experience in 2024 if we can keep them out of the portal. There is no excuse for whoever is coaching this team next season not to win at least 7 games.

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 2

49 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Most won't leave, they will stay for the upgrade in coaching!

Besides, someone posted the portal percentages that only about 30% in the portal get a scholarship again...  most get no offers.

I think anytime you have a great coaching change now, the portal is going to be active with outgoing players

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, greenminer said:

We've had great talent across the roster for 2-3 years, at least.  Maybe not at every position, but enough to win our schedule.  Circle back to SL and question roster management and the QB room.

I don't necessarily disagree but due to his poor roster construction we've never had a big class with this many guys playing meaningful snaps. If we do hire a new coach, having this group for the next two seasons will be huge.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, greenminer said:

We've had great talent across the roster for 2-3 years, at least.  Maybe not at every position, but enough to win our schedule.  Circle back to SL and question roster management and the QB room.

psaki-circle-back.gif.15f71570446f0697f8b5db780914c369.gif

10 hours ago, NT93 said:

I just can’t image any player hitting the portal before finding out who the new coach is and meeting with him.   I would think a home run hire would make players want to stay, especially if they are a good fit in the new coach’s system.

This what NT93 said. Got to stop being scared to lose players. They will do what they want regardless. TCU made a coaching change after having Patterson for 20+ years and they look better off.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I’m not so worried about losing players to the portal. Every team is losing and adding players. It happens. Obviously, I’d want to keep the talent we develop, but each kid needs to do what they feel is best for them.  We need to make sure to entice players to come play for us. Just hope it’s a net gain for the good guys in green. 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, NT93 said:

I just can’t image any player hitting the portal before finding out who the new coach is and meeting with him.   I would think a home run hire would make players want to stay, especially if they are a good fit in the new coach’s system.

I can.  You just never know what's going on inside their heads.  Someone may already be finding reason(s) to leave, family/play with a friend/whatever, and a new staff is simply the catalyst.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

37 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I can.  You just never know what's going on inside their heads.  Someone may already be finding reason(s) to leave, family/play with a friend/whatever, and a new staff is simply the catalyst.

Or a new staff can be a reason to stay. Every situation is different and there's no way to cater exactly to the needs of 100 college kids (plus Aune). You've got to do what's best for your program. Talent comes and goes and they're only here for 4 to 5 years tops anyways. A legit coach can change the future of a program.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I guess I can turn that and say someone may be finding reasons to leave and a new staff convinces them to stay.  You can argue it either way and both ways may be correct depending on the player.  I definitely agree with the first part of your post of never knowing what’s going on inside their heads.   

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3

On 11/23/2022 at 8:19 PM, southsideguy said:

SL has lost players to the portal so I am not sure him being let go would make a difference.  It is the way of the world,

Yeah, losing players has been his biggest hit (along with QB).  He seems to get a lot out of FR/SO but he needs to keep them for 2 more years.  It's a little surprising since the players seem to like SL and want to play for him (at least I've not heard much bad talk from those that have left.)

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

Yeah, losing players has been his biggest hit (along with QB).  He seems to get a lot out of FR/SO but he needs to keep them for 2 more years.  It's a little surprising since the players seem to like SL and want to play for him (at least I've not heard much bad talk from those that have left.)

I would fault Seth for a good amount of issues with our program, but not this. I think almost all coaches at our level are going to fight a losing battle with the portal

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Any particular reason why or just a gut feel?

We lose guys* to P5 and we pick up FCS transfers. Hierarchy of college football.

*starters - we have plenty who leave for lower ranks. Only a couple have transferred to peers (Siggers and Stout) and most who left rarely if ever saw the field. 

• Thanks 1