If Cliff Kingsbury Becomes Available do We Want Him?

Mike Jackson

Cliff Kingsbury Becomes Available do We Want Him?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What Percentage

• 0-10% or no way in hel
    • 10-20% if an offer is made but still very unlikely
    • 20-30% Kingsbury considers an offer in our budget but declines
    • 30-50% Cliff realizes he ascension to the NFL wasn't warrented and seriously considers any good G5 level job or higher

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/29/2022 at 08:22 AM

I hear Kliff Kingsbury might  fired by the Arizona Cardinals by the end of the season.   If he becomes available if he becomes available, would it be worth Wren Baker's time to pursuit him?  I think he would be a perfect fit for UNT right now.  He is a Mike Leach disciple whose name generates interest around here.  Also, since we run a variation of the Mike Leach system now losses via the transfer portal on offense should be minimal.  It also makes the coordinator positions here more attractive for up-and-coming coordinators not quite ready to be head coaches.  You might even get Graham Harrell to come back as "future head coach in waiting" under Cliff.   I think trying to get him is definitely worth a shot, the more public, the pursuit, the better.   It just gives us the appearance of a program really trying to get better.

Look at Lane Kiffin’s resume before FAU landed him.  If they could get Kiffin, we could get Kingsbury. 🤷🏽‍♂️

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Kiffin

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

52 minutes ago, NT93 said:

From Texas Tech to Arizona Cardinals to North Texas…interesting career path.  Don’t get me wrong, I think it would be slam dunk hire, but I don’t see Kliff going to any G5 and probably only a select few P5.

Don’t forget Arizona hired him less than 2 months AFTER he was fired by his alma mater. He may not be in as much P5 demand as you think. I think he will end up a coordinator again somewhere.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I think he would see if another NFL team has interest in the spring, if not start interviewing with colleges in the fall after schools start firing coaches.  Even if you start a college job in late January, then you have already missed the main transfer window and it might even be hard to land decent high school recruits. 

He admitted that at Tech he dislike recruiting or something to that effect so he didn't put much of an effort into it. If we can get others to pick up his slack in recruiting then I like him running our offense. 

But every time he fails at a job he seems to get something better, so he'll probably talk Goodell out of his job and be commissioner. 

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/23/2022 at 12:53 AM, Green Crazy said:

He admitted that at Tech he dislike recruiting or something to that effect so he didn't put much of an effort into it.

11 minutes ago, Billy Clyde said:

As someone else said, he DETESTS recruiting. I cannot emphasize enough how much he despises it.

Can I read up on this? If you have sources/links, please share.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Kliff a lot and have since he was the Texas A&M OC back in 2012. I think he did a good job at Tech, as it’s notoriously hard to win there, and on top of that did a decent job with the Cardinals and dealing with Kyler Murray. No idea how he’d do at UNT but I do believe he understands the importance of defense more now. But honestly I expect him to be back at A&M or at another big school as an OC next season

Answered no way but now that I think about it, I think he could make UNT football really exciting. Will it translate to conference championships? I don't know. But putting up 50 ppg should put butts in seats and get the local recruits excited. My biggest thing is the local kids being excited though. Hey, kids! Check out the guy who found Baker Mayfield as a walk-on, who coached Patrick Mahomes his whole college career, and was the OC for Johnny Manziel during his Heisman campaign. He also coached the first Texas Tech unanimous All-American since Crabtree in Jace Amaro. I think he would bring a lot of local talent to Denton.

I guess my thought is his floor is where we are now while his ceiling is higher. A big offense will get wins at the G5 level. Question is how many. Dykes and Kiffin were P5 retreads who are doing just fine after going the G5 route. Why not have Kingsbury do the same here? Why not UNT?

Side note, he made it a point to have complete control over uniforms at Texas Tech. It was critical enough that it was in his contract. I don't care either way but thoughts?