Do we have to make a decision prior to the bowl game?

Tom McKrackin

39 minutes ago, wardly said:

Tennessee was a 3 td favorite over South Carolina so "most assuredly" might be an overstatement, one that I certainly have been guilty of. My best guess is that if we play and beat UTSA and win our bowl game we may not see the last of Littrell. It would be really hard to fire a coach who won the conference championship game against a ranked team,won a bowl game, and finished 9&5. Just saying.

I agree it would be hard to do, but I am not sure we win all of those games. So then what.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

It's a pretty easy answer. Lose to Rice, fired. Lose to UTSA in the CCG, fired. If he beats UTSA he most likely stays.

The only difficult choice would be if he beats UTSA, but then gets stomped again at a bowl game. That's going to be a really hard choice on the AD. 

Wren will have to take into account this season as a whole.   Say we beat Rice....  

We will have beaten only one (1) team this whole season with a winning record  = WKU currently 7-5.

We lost badly to three (3) teams, only Smut (6-5) has a winning record.  UAB (5-6) and UNLV (4-7).

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

It's a pretty easy answer. Lose to Rice, fired. Lose to UTSA in the CCG, fired. If he beats UTSA he most likely stays.

The only difficult choice would be if he beats UTSA, but then gets stomped again at a bowl game. That's going to be a really hard choice on the AD. 

I’m all for SL staying, but getting curb stomped in another bowl?  Time to move on.  I hope this scenario does not happen, though. Win out!  GMG!

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

We will beat Rice most assuredly. Just wondering if the decision for Littrell comes before or after the bowl game and what are the advantages/disadvantages of either?

I believe that the decision was likely made after the UAB game but I believe that Seth finishes the season because some players stayed to have a chance to get a bowl win.  In the meantime the coaching search should be completed and the new coach might well have his staff decided by shortly after the end of the bowl game.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I believe that the decision was likely made after the UAB game but I believe that Seth finishes the season because some players stayed to have a chance to get a bowl win.  In the meantime the coaching search should be completed and the new coach might well have his staff decided by shortly after the end of the bowl game.  

I agree with you @GrayEagle

my only hope is they handle it with class and dignity.  Things they sadly did not choose to do with Dan McCarney..

12 hours ago, NT80 said:

Wren will have to take into account this season as a whole.   Say we beat Rice....  

We will have beaten only one (1) team this whole season with a winning record  = WKU currently 7-5.

We lost badly to three (3) teams, only Smut (6-5) has a winning record.  UAB (5-6) and UNLV (4-7).

Memphis is 6&5 with SMU left to play. I don't know which was the biggest surprise this season. Getting pounded by UNLV or pounding WK. I think if you were to recap Littrell's history at UNT vary few victories were against teams finishing the season with winning records. I am sure that someone inclined to do so could provide a recap.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNT Family Man said:

Any announcement (even if we lose to Rice) will not come until after the championship game.  The buy out drops in early December again!!! Only way it happens right after Rice would be agreed upon by Littrell and Wren at the lower buy out.

I doubt we lose to Rice, but if we do, & WKU takes care of business to reach the title game over us, we simply cannot wait.  Prospective coaches will be watching, & if NT is not able to cough up the extra $250k or so in buyout, then they’ll be asking what kind of funding they might have.    
We have to be able to strike when the decision is made.  

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

If we beat UTSA I think he gets an extension. I never envisioned we would be in the Championship Game. I think that gives him a pass to the bowl game. Win and he gets an extension. Lose both and he should be let go. 

We have greatly benefited from the elimination of divisions. With divisions we are already out of consideration for the conference championship.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1