Paul Quinn College (11/22/22)

NT80

DENTON — The North Texas men’s basketball team is back in action from the Super Pit Tuesday night with a home game against Paul Quinn College.

Tipoff for Tuesday’s contest is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT and will be streamed on YouTube and the Mean Green Sports Network, presented by Learfield on The Varsity Network app.

UNT (2-1) is coming off a 61-52 home victory over Fresno State Saturday afternoon where reigning all-conference guard Tylor Perry made his return from injury and scored 21 points to lead the Mean Green to victory. Fellow starting guard Rubin Jones also made his return Saturday after missing the last five months due to an offseason surgery and positively affected the North Texas offense that had been looking for a spark.

The Mean Green will welcome on Tuesday a Paul Quinn College squad that competes at the NAIA level and is the reigning United States Collegiate Athletic Association DI national champion. The Tigers (1-0) are not shy about playing NCAA DI teams around the Metroplex. On Oct. 29 Paul Quinn took on SMU in Dallas in an exhibition and held a one-point lead at halftime. The Mustangs pulled away in the second half and won 80-66.

The next day Paul Quinn traveled to Fort Worth to face TCU. The Horned Frogs came away with a 112-42 victory.

After Tuesday’s game the Mean Green will travel to the Bahamas to play in the Baha Mar Hoops Nassau Championship. UNT will open the eight-team three games in three days tournament on Friday versus San José State. Tipoff to Friday’s game is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. CT. All games will be streamed on FloHoops.

Contact the Mean Green Ticket Office at 940-565-2527 or by emailing ticketoffice@unt.edu for more information on UNT hoops tickets.

Game notes: https://meangreensports.com/documents/2022/11/21/11.22.22_UNT_MBB_Game_Notes_-_Paul_Quinn_College.pdf

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

They were there on Saturday, just the cheerleaders missing.

I hope they took the dj with them.  I don't know why we have to have blaring music all the time.  I rather hear the band or be able to hold conversation with someone than have dj playing music.  

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I hope they took the dj with them.  I don't know why we have to have blaring music all the time.  I rather hear the band or be able to hold conversation with someone than have dj playing music.  

Same for the games at Apogee.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Do y'all not watch P5 football and high-major basketball games? There's music playing constantly. If you want light elevator music playing in the background so you can talk stocks, stay home. You want a big time atmosphere until you don't.

Agreed. Just go to the tailgating area during football games. Blaring the rock or hip hop music. That’s what draws students to games. I enjoy the pep band, but the students will come for DJ and music they relate to. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

I don't like the trend of DJs rather than pep (or marching) bands playing, but it is definitely something more and more schools do and it ain't changing.  I miss the pep band sound, but time moves on.  I just hope it doesn't go away completely - because there's nothing quite like a good pep band at a basketball game.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I don't like the trend of DJs rather than pep (or marching) bands playing, but it is definitely something more and more schools do and it ain't changing.  I miss the pep band sound, but time moves on.  I just hope it doesn't go away completely - because there's nothing quite like a good pep band at a basketball game.

As a kid I loved the pep band. Fly like an Eagle was a classic every game. I also like current music so I enjoy a mix of both, but I guess I can understand most college kids aren’t going to want to listen to a band play when their is a DJ blasting music they love. If you want students to pack the pit you cater to the students I’m assuming. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

31 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Yeah, I mean I tend to agree.  Though even as a student I preferred the pep band to the occasional "jock jam" track they'd play over the loudspeakers.  🙂

Yeah although the 90s jams were much better than today. Give me that space jam soundtrack to introduce the team every time 

• Ray 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 11/21/2022 at 6:04 PM, greenjoe said:

According to Google, which could certainly be wrong, Paul Quinn College has an enrollment of 424 students.  I promise my freshman biology class was bigger than that.

I had a hard time finding out much of anything about the school except they have an online program. It was kind of weird.