Paul Quinn College (11/22/22)

NT80

2 hours ago, Big Z said:

UTA, SMU or TCU? But we get this cupcake 

They are a scheduled win.  Do you think TCU or SMU would schedule NT?

The changes of a good D! program playing NT in Denton in the oc is remote.  

The value of this game is that NT played 14 players.  

The concern is NT did not shoot the ball well from outside despite having wide open looks and added bad free throw shooting. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

They are a scheduled win.  Do you think TCU or SMU would schedule NT?

The changes of a good D! program playing NT in Denton in the oc is remote.  

I am a little surprised that not one AAC school made the schedule, though I understand why SMU wouldnt want to play us.  TCU probably had a lot of interest from around the country. 

But the one school I would have thought to be interested in playing at UNT is Texas A&M, they narrowly missed the NCAA tournament last year, they will probably end up on the bubble again this year, so beating other bubble teams (especially away) might make them look good come selection day.  Granted they do have SMU at home and Memphis away.

• Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I am a little surprised that not one AAC school made the schedule, though I understand why SMU wouldnt want to play us.  TCU probably had a lot of interest from around the country. 

But the one school I would have thought to be interested in playing at UNT is Texas A&M, they narrowly missed the NCAA tournament last year, they will probably end up on the bubble again this year, so beating other bubble teams (especially away) might make them look good come selection day.  Granted they do have SMU at home and Memphis away.

I suggest listening to Mccasland talk about the scheduling in this podcast:

In college basketball, it’s all about record and Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins (to a lesser degree). And with Quad 3 and 4 record, the committee doesn’t care about those but they do care how many Quad 3 or 4 losses a team has. That’s what gets evaluated when it’s time to pick at-large NCAA tournament teams.

In order for a home game to count as a Quad 1 win, the opponent has to be a Top 30 NET team. Mccasland explains how teams don’t want to play us, even at their place, because the risk of losing to us isn’t worth the reward of a possibly Quad 3 win, or at best a Quad 2 win. Losing to us at home is either going to worsen the Quad 2 record or show up as a Quad 3 loss, neither are going to help an at-large bid.

CE2F1FB0-B412-4E95-B38E-BEB459EE407A.jpeg

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

18 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

SMU just lost to the Louisiana in overtime. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

26 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

18 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I suggest listening to Mccasland talk about the scheduling in this podcast:

@MrAlien Scheduling talk starts at 12:21

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

41 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

NCAA needs to just step in and start making schedules because all this does is just like football play into the hands of big boys. 
-end pay to play games across the board. Help fun athletics, eliminate the NIL… I’m going to stop before I get worked up lol. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Good showing, the guys are starting to ease in, but they still need more time to really get to know each other. Even the vets are having to deal with large rotations which is new for us. Martinez has been the standout of the new transfers, he looks ready to score from any part of the court. I was wondering why we didn't see Sissoko out there more in the past games. He looked silky smooth when he got the ball, IMO he needs more minutes shared with Ousmane. Having 2 viable big men would be huge. Speaking of Abu, I don't know if he is just in a funk or what, but he doesn't look like the player from last year. His hooks and shots have been off, I know he was the leading scorer tonight so maybe it's just me, but he looks like he's lacking confidence? Good game to help the team build on their chemistry. Huntsberry needs to guard the ball better, we can't have so many turnovers, but his shooting has looked good. Good game overall. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Andrew said:

NCAA needs to just step in and start making schedules because all this does is just like football play into the hands of big boys. 
-end pay to play games across the board. Help fun athletics, eliminate the NIL… I’m going to stop before I get worked up lol. 

You want to trust the NCAA? That sounds like it will work out!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Good showing, the guys are starting to ease in, but they still need more time to really get to know each other. Even the vets are having to deal with large rotations which is new for us. Martinez has been the standout of the new transfers, he looks ready to score from any part of the court. I was wondering why we didn't see Sissoko out there more in the past games. He looked silky smooth when he got the ball, IMO he needs more minutes shared with Ousmane. Having 2 viable big men would be huge. Speaking of Abu, I don't know if he is just in a funk or what, but he doesn't look like the player from last year. His hooks and shots have been off, I know he was the leading scorer tonight so maybe it's just me, but he looks like he's lacking confidence? Good game to help the team build on their chemistry. Huntsberry needs to guard the ball better, we can't have so many turnovers, but his shooting has looked good. Good game overall. 

If Abou knew where he was on the court and didn't fumble every pass he could easily be averaging 20ppg. He should have dominated Southern Nazarene and Paul Quinn.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

If Abou knew where he was on the court and didn't fumble every pass he could easily be averaging 20ppg. He should have dominated Southern Nazarene and Paul Quinn.

I never got the impression that he was fumbling a ton of passes.  I'll have to revisit the games and look for that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Year 1 to year 2 was a massive improvement. I guess I thought he would come out looking like a monster this year. I'm hoping some of that is still the new guys learning how each player likes to play and how to best facilitate a teammate. 

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I never got the impression that he was fumbling a ton of passes.  I'll have to revisit the games and look for that.

Unfortunately, he's been out of position on the block a number of times this year, along with missing wide-open looks right at the basket.  Chalking it up to lots of pressure on him to produce early with Perry and Jones, not in the lineup.  I think he'll get back to last season's form as everyone gets adjusted to the new lineup at full strength.  He has the ability to be dominating in the paint.

• Upvote 2