Congrats to UTSA

Jonnyeagle

8 hours ago, Rowdy said:

Are there currently any other conferences without divisions?

8 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Big 12 hasn’t had divisions for years. You don’t see them crowning anyone until the championship game. 

The American also does not have divisions ever since they and UConn split, and even decided to keep it that way as it goes to 14 next year.

The B1Gand ACC are also getting rid of them and the PAC10 already has.

The SEC is the last "power 5" conference with divisions and is at least thinking about it, likely to pull the trigger on eliminateing them when UT and OU join.

If the mountain west loses members to the PAC the sun belt and the MAC might possibly eventually end up being the only conferences with divisions (not sure how future C-USA will handle it).

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, outoftown said:

The American also does not have divisions ever since they and UConn split, and even decided to keep it that way as it goes to 14 next year.

The B1Gand ACC are also getting rid of them and the PAC10 already has.

The SEC is the last "power 5" conference with divisions and is at least thinking about it, likely to pull the trigger on eliminateing them when UT and OU join.

If the mountain west loses members to the PAC the sun belt and the MAC might possibly eventually end up being the only conferences with divisions (not sure how future C-USA will handle it).

Divisions were meant for scheduling purposes (by geography and rivals).   Then conferences started using them for an extra-game championship matchup.  But the division winners are not always the best two teams in a conference.  Like the Big10 this year....

East division has Michigan (11-0), Ohio St (11-0), and Penn St (9-2)

West division has Iowa (7-4), Purdue (7-4), and Illinois (7-4)

I thinking ripping UTSA for this is dumb, because we would be doing this exact thing if we were in their shoes and eating it all up.

18 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Y’all forget the championship game is December 2nd? Not sure what the celebration is about. 

The championship game is not regular season matchup.  If UTSA loses the 'ship game, they will still have the best regular season record.

Didn't we do this for MBB?

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I thinking ripping UTSA for this is dumb, because we would be doing this exact thing if we were in their shoes and eating it all up.

The championship game is not regular season matchup.  If UTSA loses the 'ship game, they will still have the best regular season record.

I get your point but say we defeat them in the championship game?  Does that mean anything.  Sort of defeats the purpose of a final showdown.

24 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I’m mostly ripping CUSA for introducing this made up title that’s never existed before. Unless a conference doesn’t play a championship game, regular season titles are not a thing. 

But if UTSA losses the CUSA Championship, but still claims a 2022 title then yes, I will mock them endlessly. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I’m mostly ripping CUSA for introducing this made up title that’s never existed before. Unless a conference doesn’t play a championship game, regular season titles are not a thing. 

But if UTSA losses the CUSA Championship, but still claims a 2022 title then yes, I will mock them endlessly. 

This is the first year of this format in CUSA.  Might be worth seeing what other conferences have done.

Our MBB claims a regular season title, along with the trophy, despite losing in the CUSA postseason.

I just don't see anything wrong with this, and I truly believe we would be doing the same thing if we were in their position, which makes the idea of mocking them a really bad look.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I get your point but say we defeat them in the championship game?  Does that mean anything.  Sort of defeats the purpose of a final showdown.

I guess I don't understand why this is so hard for y'all.  We see it all the time in basketball regular/postseason play.  Just because it's rare in football doesn't change the reasoning.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, cousin oliver said:

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

If they did it the right way UTSA would be crowned the conference champions and there would be no championship game. They beat every team on their conference schedule. There is no reason to mock them. They handled their business against UAB and us. We did not handle our business against them or UAB.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I guess I don't understand why this is so hard for y'all.  We see it all the time in basketball regular/postseason play.  Just because it's rare in football doesn't change the reasoning.

Because literally no other conference does it that plays a conference championship game. Its incredibly dumb. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

This is the first year of this format in CUSA.  Might be worth seeing what other conferences have done.

Our MBB claims a regular season title, along with the trophy, despite losing in the CUSA postseason.

I just don't see anything wrong with this, and I truly believe we would be doing the same thing if we were in their position, which makes the idea of mocking them a really bad look.

No other conference recognizes a regular season football champion. That’s what the championship game is for. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Because literally no other conference does it that plays a conference championship game. Its incredibly dumb. 

We're on different roads.  You're trying to drive home the point that it's dumb, probably because you want a reason to make fun of UTSA, and making your point by saying how no one else does it.

All I'm saying is, dumb or not, they do it in other sports and it makes sense when they do it.

I suspect it's more normalized in other sports because of the structure of postseason bids/play.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

We're on different roads.  You're trying to drive home the point that it's dumb, probably because you want a reason to make fun of UTSA, and making your point by saying how no one else does it.

All I'm saying is, dumb or not, they do it in other sports and it makes sense when they do it.

I suspect it's more normalized in other sports because of the structure of postseason bids/play.

It doesn’t make sense in other sports either. It’s incredibly unstable having multiple teams claiming league titles for the same year. You don’t see the NBA/NFL/MLB crowning a regular season champion.