Battle flag

Ibleedgreen

From what I have been told it is difficult to trademark or copyright the flag, as it is basically a templet of the state flag. Β Of course, the templet itself is so recognizeable that it is instantly well known. Β 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, drex said:

From what I have been told it is difficult to trademark or copyright the flag, as it is basically a templet of the state flag. Β Of course, the templet itself is so recognizeable that it is instantly well known. Β 

I believe from just a color change of the state flag you could trademark it....

Stylized flag designs that can be registered as trademarks include those that form another shape (e.g. the elements of the flag within the outline of U.S. geographical borders), use significantly different colors (red, white and green stipes) or change a significant feature (stars that make a different shape).

https://www.muslaw.com/there-are-limits-to-flag-designs-in-registered-trademarks/

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, drex said:

Interesting...I wonder why athletics has not done this. Β You could put a small UNT at the lower right corner and that would make it ours for sure.

I don't know that athletics ever trademarked our Stylized Eagle, aka Flying Worm.Β  They should.

Someone said Baylor added some Gold trim to their battle flag.Β  That may be enough for them to not violate our trademark, if we were to get one.Β  Or they could simply add a BU somewhere on it too.Β  Probably too difficult to keep fighting if they really wanted to copy us.Β Β 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, NT80 said:

I believe from just a color change of the state flag you could trademark it....

Stylized flag designs that can be registered as trademarks include those that form another shape (e.g. the elements of the flag within the outline of U.S. geographical borders), use significantly different colors (red, white and green stipes) or change a significant feature (stars that make a different shape).

https://www.muslaw.com/there-are-limits-to-flag-designs-in-registered-trademarks/

But this would mean Baylor could trademark theirs as well, no? I don’t see how we could stop anyone from making their own version since ours is just a copy of the Texas flagΒ 

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

We need to have a local State Representative introduce a resolution in the State Legislature that recognizes our flag as the "Official Battle Flag of the University of North Texas". This could be heard on the floor during Denton County Day or UNT Day if the dates are different. The resolution would describe the flag in detail and put some flowery language about UNT and the Mean Freen Nation etc. On most days that recognize Counties the Reps are given gift bags from those Counties etc. that are honored and UNT should be able to get a supporter (ex. Ryan) to pay for caps with the Battle Flag featured and the name of the supporter on one side and UNT or North Texas on the other. Giving caps to 150 reps, 31 State Senators, and the Lt Gov would be worth the effort and raise our profile in my opinion. I have thought about suggesting this for many years. My experience has been that resolutions like this are relatively easy to pass. For example, my State Rep from a few years ago, a personal friend, introduce a resolution in a special session honoring my wife and myself on our 25th anniversary.Β 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2022 at 10:03 AM, drex said:

Battle flag created in 1986...anything after that just an copy of the original idea.

Β 

Here’s the original game day Battle Flag at Kyle Field on September 22nd, 1990. Β Notice the track. Β This Battle Flag was also used in the movie β€œNecessary Roughness” which debuted the following year.

Rick

BE7C3FE9-B2B6-4464-8043-9F90315773C0.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1