SMU Tulane Observations

meangreenfaninno

9 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Has SMU digressed, or are we really that bad?

Tulane is a Top 25 team.

I don't know why they wear the "Dallas" uniforms on a road game in New Orleans.  I can't imagine having such a well known brand as SMU and thinking "let's just get rid of it and put the name of the Metro area we play in." The SMU marketing dept should be fired.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

14 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Tulane is a Top 25 team.

I don't know why they wear the "Dallas" uniforms on a road game in New Orleans.  I can't imagine having such a well known brand as SMU and thinking "let's just get rid of it and put the name of the Metro area we play in." The SMU marketing dept should be fired.

Done to try and get fans. One of the first things that comes to mind for many in the region when you hear the SMU name is how they try to act elitist and arrogant. They are trying to appeal to the area.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Done to try and get fams. One of the first things that comes to mind for many in the region when you hear the SMU name is how they try to act elitist and arrogant. They are trying to appeal to the area.

I get the thesis, it's just terrible. 

SMU love it or hate it, is aspirational and looks good hanging on a piece of paper on the wall.  Even if you really believe in the "Dallas" alternate branding, it makes ZERO sense wearing outside of a home game or maybe a game vs UNT in Denton.

The sands of time are not kind to established brands who look to enhance their brand by totally abandoning it.

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Just now, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I get the thesis, it's just terrible. 

SMU love it or hate it, is aspirational and looks good hanging on a piece of paper on the wall.  Even if you really believe in the "Dallas" alternate branding, it makes ZERO sense wearing outside of a home game or maybe a game vs UNT in Denton.

The sands of time are not kind to brands who look to enhance their brand by totally abandoning it.

I think they should dump it. Maybe they are trying to hold on to the Sonny Dykes mojo 😈

28 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Tulane is a Top 25 team.

Because Smut is not a well known brand.   

Most people don't even know where they are located.   

No, it's not Dallas.   

Highland Park.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 4

16 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If we were to meet in a Bowl Game do you think the results would be very different?

There are too many variables to really say for sure. Are we riding high with a Conference Championship under our belt and a record of 8-5? Is SMU playing all of their players or are some sitting out for the draft like Torrey did last year? SMU looks weaker now than they did at the start of the season. If When they lose tonight they're 6-5 and if they lose to Memphis to end the season, 6-6. I don't see another 38 point blowout loss but with our bowl history there's no telling what team shows up. 

• Upvote 3