Portal opens up in a couple of weeks

cousin oliver

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Seems to me, NT did pretty well in the portal.

As far as the "wait and see approach", not sure how you would know when and how many portal players were analyzed and recruited by NT. 

They stated that was their plan after having signed 8 players in early signing:

ON HAVING LESS SIGNEES THAN PAST YEARS AT THIS POINT:

“It was a good start, we have a long way to go until February. Again, it’s a little different this year. I think for the past few years we’ve been done at this point, but with the landscape it’s gone to you always want to have enough scholarships left over to make sure you find the best players. There’s going to be a ton of great players out there in January leading into February signing day. I think you can get some steals, I really do, because of how the recruiting’s gotten. There’s more players that are going to go unsigned this year than in a lot of different years at the high school level. That’s just where we’re at. Continuing to evaluate and finding needs and I think you’re going to get some really good football players in January and the February signing day.”

They only added 5 more in February, hoping to land some surprise recruits with left over scholarships. 

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

They stated that was their plan after having signed 8 players in early signing:

They only added 5 more in February, hoping to land some surprise recruits with left over scholarships. 

That was their plan to save ships for more players that might go to the portal at a latter date.  I don't think there was a strict time to enter the portal as there is now. 

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

That was their plan to save ships for more players that might go to the portal at a latter date.  I don't think there was a strict time to enter the portal as there is now. 

I think it's pretty clear they were hoping some surprise names would be left out by the bigger schools and UNT would swoop in and snag them. It didn't work out, and if you go back to that time people were pretty unhappy with recruiting to put it lightly.

• Upvote 1