Fresno State (11/19/22)

CMJ

You can tell the guys still need to be coached into what Mac wants. It's understandable since we have so many new guys out there and they only have 3 actual games to try to work out the kinks. Having Perry and Jones back was a huge plus, you can tell they really helped anchor the team. Neither one of them is 100% so I expect them to step it up with more time and minutes. 

Hopefully the guys start to build that chemistry and gel into a single unit like Mac likes as they get more games under their belts. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 5

Much better team performance tonight with the return of Perry and Jones.  Nice to see the net rip on some of those 3s.  However, are we a player or two going down or fouling out from disaster?  It’s a long season and good to get the win at home.  Need to stay healthy and out of foul trouble.  70+% team FT is encouraging.  Need to keep that up and maybe add a few percentage points to that.  Congrats on the win. 

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

How many minutes did Fresno’s starters play in the second half?  

Until I know that, I can’t be sure of how excited to be

I like this. I will find you every game and then you post about the other teams starters it will be like a thing. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 3

7 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

Both squads are in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade.  They all left out this morning.  Have to be there for practice 

I'm not sure which page this question should be posed on, but...

If the band, cheerleaders, and dance team are in New York for a parade on Thursday, will they be home and ready for a football game on Saturday?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

This “very bad” team we beat won 23 games last season. 🙄

I was making it in reference to their poor start this year. We went to the NIT and still barley beat (or according to some as well… lost) to a D2 team at home. Unless your a blue blood then your mostly going year by year. This year they don’t look as good so far. 

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4

9 hours ago, ADLER said:

I'm not sure which page this question should be posed on, but...

If the band, cheerleaders, and dance team are in New York for a parade on Thursday, will they be home and ready for a football game on Saturday?

If Seth needs them to beat Rice then we are in worse shape than I thought.

Fresno is like us in that they use their defense to win games.  

There were times in last nights games when the chemistry was there and then it would disappear for while. I saw all three phases working at times last night.

I think we will be fine.  We better be because every CUSA will be out to kick our ass.

I loved Draper talking about the time Chris Davis came to talk to the team. Said as Davis was leaving, wearing blue jeans and a jacket, called for a ball and drained a 30 footer. Davis turned around and said, “Some things never change.”  
I also didn’t realize that Davis had mono and missed the last couple of games of his career. Hank mentioned that and said he probably would have passed Lyon’s as the programs all time leading scorer if it weren’t for him getting sick. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

There were times in last nights games when the chemistry was there and then it would disappear for while. I saw all three phases working at times last night.

I think we will be fine.  We better be because every CUSA will be out to kick our ass.

• Fresno State has now limited its opponents to fewer than 70 points in 34 of its last 40 games, including all four games this season.
  • Upvote 1

Mavs commentator and UNT alum Mark Followill is really hyping up North Texas and Josh Green's appearance at yesterday's game during the first half of the Mavs game against Denver tonight. Saying that Green, who scored 13 points on 5-5 shooting in the first half, was inspired by his trip to Denton and North Texas's win over Fresno State.

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Mavs commentator and UNT alum Mark Followill is really hyping up North Texas and Josh Green's appearance at yesterday's game during the first half of the Mavs game against Denver tonight. Saying that Green, who scored 13 points on 5-5 shooting in the first half, was inspired by his trip to Denton and North Texas's win over Fresno State.

Followill is dropping UNT shout-outs all over the place tonight. Pretty sure he must be a GMG lurker.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I also didn’t realize that Davis had mono and missed the last couple of games of his career. Hank mentioned that and said he probably would have passed Lyon’s as the programs all time leading scorer if it weren’t for him getting sick. 

I vaguely recall the mono, but I had no idea he was < 40 points away from Lyon's mark.  Wild.

7 hours ago, greenminer said:

This has probably been said before, but I an optimistic Ousmane's game will open up as our outside shot finds itself.  Teams will be forced to soften their interior defense (in theory)

Yeah, they were forcing the ball out of Ousmane’s hands all night. He made some great decisions/passes in the 2nd half. Having other guys hit some shots may give him some more space down low. I think he can have a really great year. 

6 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I see what you did there. 😏