Fresno State (11/19/22)

CMJ

1 minute ago, UNTethered Eagle said:

With our starters we looked much better tonight. Defense played well imo. Definitely no need to panic, but we can do have room for improvement.

The good news is the rest of our schedule coming up doesn’t look too difficult. The bad news is Fresno was a very bad team and we couldn’t beat them by double digits at home. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 11
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

Nice W. Perry back eases my first two game concerns. With him facilitating the offense, Kai and Abou don’t have to press so much to try and make things happen. It’s a more natural flow. Still tons of room to sharpen up though. Those long offensive lulls let them hang around when we could have put them away.

Defensive effort continues to be great. We’ll continue to get better on that end of the court as well. 

Great bounce back after disappointment!!

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The good news is the rest of our schedule coming up doesn’t look too difficult. The bad news is Fresno was a very bad team and we couldn’t beat them by double digits at home. 

Let’s not over exaggerate. They aren’t a great team but they aren’t very bad. A very bad team is like a bottom half SWAC or Southland team. They were a middle of the pack Mountain West team, which is a better conference than CUSA. I doubt last year’s team beats them by more than that. That’s about how much most of our CUSA home wins were by, save for the very bottom of the conference teams.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Nice W. Perry back eases my first two game concerns. With him facilitating the offense, Kai and Abou don’t have to press so much to try and make things happen. It’s a more natural flow. Still tons of room to sharpen up though. Those long offensive lulls let them hang around when we could have put them away.

Defensive effort continues to be great. We’ll continue to get better on that end of the court as well. 

Great bounce back after disappointment!!

Agree on that defense. Stone finally hit a three but I think his hustle and defense was key. He won’t show up on the stat line much, but he made a huge impact on this game. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Let’s not over exaggerate. They aren’t a great team but they aren’t very bad. A very bad team is like a bottom half SWAC or Southland team. They were a middle of the pack Mountain West team, which is a better conference than CUSA. I doubt last year’s team beats them by more than that. That’s about how much most of our CUSA home wins were by, save for the very bottom of the conference teams.

Yes, Fresno only lost by 6 to a 4-0 San Francisco team.  As long as we stay healthy, I think Grant has a deeper team this year.  He will yell them into shape.  The road trip tournament coming up will be a good bonding time and test to get used to playing away from home.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

We showed that we could separate by double digits in the first half, but unfortunately couldn’t maintain it because of scoring droughts. The defense did a good job keeping them at bay winning the 50/50 balls. 

Hard to tell how good or bad Fresno is based on all their new players. They weren’t scrubs that’s for sure.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

*Finney-Smith. And it was Josh Green who was there. Baker for Fresno State was Green’s former teammate at Arizona.

Thanks. I will tell my Mother  in law he texted and said some Mavs were there according the broadcast. 
which apparently she didn’t like. She said some former player was doing it and was awful and annoying. 😕

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

Yes, Fresno only lost by 6 to a 4-0 San Francisco team.  As long as we stay healthy, I think Grant has a deeper team this year.  He will yell them into shape.  The road trip tournament coming up will be a good bonding time and test to get used to playing away from home.

Yeah we look pretty close to where one would hope we would look like early in the season, with new pieces working their way in. Jones, Eady, and Huntsberry were 1-15 from 3 today and those are the catch and shoot threes that we should hit with regularity. I think those guys will start to hit, based on their track record, and that will make us tough. In addition to Ousmane hopefully getting back on track. Again, something I expect given what we’ve seen him do.

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Thanks. I will tell my Mother  in law he texted and said some Mavs were there according the broadcast. 
which apparently she didn’t like. She said some former player was doing it and was awful and annoying. 😕

Yeah, DJ Draper was the color commentator with Hank Dickenson doing play by play on the ESPN+ broadcast.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1