New 3-PART Justin Fuente Interview

Jonnyeagle

Doug is joined by former Virginia Tech and Memphis Head Coach Justin Fuente for the final conversation of a 3 part interview. He discusses taking how he landed the head coach job at Memphis, the tsunami of responsibilities as a first time head coach, how he turned around the program from off the radar to nationally ranked, the first time he saw future 1st rounder Paxton Lynch, why he left to take over for Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech, why he decided to keep legendary DC Bud Foster as a holdover on his new staff, how COVID stalled his momentum in Blacksburg, why it ultimately didn’t work out, and the lessons he learned from the job as he looks to the future.

PART 1:  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/all-ball-former-va-tech-hc-justin-fuente-on-qb-career/id1230116944?i=1000585174721

PART 2:  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/all-ball-pt-2-justin-fuente-on-tcu-oc-break-patterson/id1230116944?i=1000585874257

PART 3:  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/all-ball-pt-3-justin-fuente-on-memphis-turnaround-paxton/id1230116944?i=1000586344853

Edited by Jonnyeagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Interesting. I like him and think he could be good but am very cautious to say I want him after just how average his VT teams were. We’re trying to move past being average

I haven't seen any names being thrown around that are slam dunks.  For every "favorite" being labeled in a thread, a small army of people show up to tell us why he won't work.  every. single. time.

Is this one of the worst offseasons for hiring a coach in 10 years?

Also, I see a ton of current/former HCs.  I wish there were more assistant/coordinator names being submitted.

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I haven't seen any names being thrown around that are slam dunks.  For every "favorite" being labeled in a thread, a small army of people show up to tell us why he won't work.  every. single. time.

Also, I see a ton of current/former HCs.  I wish there were more assistant/coordinator names being submitted.

What makes you say this?

And Neal Brown is probably the closest thing to a "slam dunk" we can realistically get. I can't see a scenario he's brought back at W. Virginia. Look at what Troy was doing before he got there and what they've been in the years since he left. I'm not worried about his time at West Virginia. Sometimes coaches chose the wrong program. See Sonny Dykes and Cal. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

9 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

What makes you say this?

And Neal Brown is probably the closest thing to a "slam dunk" we can realistically get. I can't see a scenario he's brought back at W. Virginia. Look at what Troy was doing before he got there and what they've been in the years since he left. I'm not worried about his time at West Virginia. Sometimes coaches chose the wrong program. See Sonny Dykes and Cal. 

high five top gun GIF

EDIT:  I feel the exact same way about Fuente, simply because their paths are virtually the same.  The only difference is that Fuente's G5 success came a little before Brown's.    I would not be disappointed with either one.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, zenhuddy said:

The HC we need is on the Broyles List - there are several - but I do get risk with OC hiring if they have had no HC experience 🤔

We are literally currently dealing with the ramifications of that kind of hire. No thank you. Give me previous head coaching/program building experience. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

What makes you say this?

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

high five top gun GIF

EDIT:  I feel the exact same way about Fuente, simply because their paths are virtually the same.  The only difference is that Fuente's G5 success came a little before Brown's.    I would not be disappointed with either one.

My thoughts exactly. I feel like either would be a great hire here

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

My thoughts exactly. I feel like either would be a great hire here

Agreed they both look like good hires. I would rather have Brown just because personality wise he's a breath of fresh air compared to Littrell. He's incredibly forthcoming in his press conferences about what went right/wrong, regardless if he won or loss. You can tell he has an incredible football mind. Not to say Fuente doesn't, but he's closer to Littrell's guardedness when it comes to interviews.

After Kansas Loss

After Oklahoma Win

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Agreed they both look like good hires. I would rather have Brown just because personality wise he's a breath of fresh air compared to Littrell. He's incredibly forthcoming in his press conferences about what went right/wrong, regardless if he won or loss. You can tell he has an incredible football mind. Not to say Fuente doesn't, but he's closer to Littrell's guardedness when it comes to interviews.

After Kansas Loss

After Oklahoma Win

I'm also with you on that. I think this fanbase needs the anti-Littrell to drum up interest and engagement again

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Interesting. I like him and think he could be good but am very cautious to say I want him after just how average his VT teams were. We’re trying to move past being average

I would take 12 games over .500 as an acceptable standard of average.  Also has an AAC championship under his belt. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

After Kansas Loss

After Oklahoma Win

I can tell you only watch Vito’s press conferences and never listen to the coach’s show based on this statement alone.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I would take 12 games over .500 as an acceptable standard of average.  Also has an AAC championship under his belt. 

At Memphis his overall record was only 3 games over. His conference record at either place doesn’t scream “hire me”. Beat your peers.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

19 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

What makes you say this?

Purely a hunch, that's all.  Previous seasons, it has seemed like there were at least 1 or 2 coordinators out there that made a ton of sense.  I don't feel it this year.

So yeah, purely gut.  

Sometimes coaches chose the wrong program.

Ain't that the truth.  And sometimes good coaches land at a place that just doesn't fit.  They hop to the next stop and reveal that they can still coach.

• Upvote 1

Trying to come up with examples of head coaches who were successful at the G5 level, moved to P5 and were not successful, then moved back to G5 and had success. First names that comes to mind are Lane Kiffin and Sonny Dykes. Others?

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Trying to come up with examples of head coaches who were successful at the G5 level, moved to P5 and were not successful, then moved back to G5 and had success. First names that comes to mind are Lane Kiffin and Sonny Dykes. Others?

George O’Leary Notre Dame /UCF comes to mind.  He really was able to elevate that program to a whole New level.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

George O’Leary Notre Dame /UCF comes to mind.  He really was able to elevate that program to a whole New level.

I remember he had success at G-Tech, so he never really failed at coaching at the P5 level. Did he ever actually coach a game at ND?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Trying to come up with examples of head coaches who were successful at the G5 level, moved to P5 and were not successful, then moved back to G5 and had success. 

P5 programs can be much harder on head coaches.  They have larger and more rabid fans and influential ($$) boosters to satisfy.  You get limited time to show success or you're out.  G5's are much more patient for success to come, mainly because they can't afford buyouts as easily as P5 programs.  You can get 4-5 years to show something at a G5.  Upper level P5's will cut you after 2 years if you don't win.  Harsin at Auburn is an example of torch-carrying fans demanding change after 1.5 years. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, greenminer said:

Id say it’s definitely not a great one to hire a HC. Last year I wanted UNT to get in on it early before some hidden gems got picked up but they stuck with Littrell and here we are now

• Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

At Memphis his overall record was only 3 games over. His conference record at either place doesn’t scream “hire me”. Beat your peers.

Now check out their record before Fuente. It was a rebuild and then 3rd year success. We don’t even need a rebuild. 

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Skip Holtz. I mean, it’s three examples within our own conference! And two of them earned their way back to P5, FFS. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

Heck look at our record over the decade before Littrell took over. We were atrocious except for one season.

And he was almost hired away and got a huge raise and extension.

Look, you have been presented facts about why he could be a good candidate. He might fail here. Another HC might succeed here or fail. Seth might stay and win the AAC or finish last. We don’t have a clue. We can only guess based on past results and those say that Fuente, Brown, or Holtz (or another former HC) are more likely to succeed. All could also fail. 

It seems obvious you are digging in on this issue, so I will stop arguing with you about it. But if we fire Seth (and I think we will) my vote is for an experienced HC, specifically one who has guided a G5 program to a championship.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

It seems obvious you are digging in on this issue, so I will stop arguing with you about it. But if we fire Seth (and I think we will) my vote is for an experienced HC, specifically one who has guided a G5 program to a championship.

This.   Experienced HC is a much better choice than an OC that has never been a HC.  OC's are X's and O's guys, only responsible for certain position players.  HC is much more encompassing over the whole program.  It's about staffing hires, media and fan relations, problem-solving, and making it all mesh together.  Many OC's can't adapt.

• Upvote 1