Question for the board...

keith

3 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Seth was until just recently the highest paid coach in the conference, highest paid coach in our history.

I expect greatness and all I have been served is his mediocre to subpar results for the money invested.

I expect for that money several Conference titles, some bowl wins and heavily stacked winning season records. 

Seth's stats out of conference suck, his overall conference performance sucks, his bowl game records has sucked and his recruiting has sucked. 

Just imagine how bad he will suck if he stays for the AAC. 

Fire Seth NOW! 

Littrell's currently salary is about the average in the AAC. Might be time to readjust your expectations. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

37 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Graham Harrell and Mason Fine ran cover for Littrell. Littrell tried to parlay their success into a P5 position but KST was too wise. Unfortunately our leaders weren’t. 

Mason Fine was here in 2019 for our 4-8 season, the worst season of Littrell’s tenure. He didn’t run much cover without Guyton and Bussey, did he?

KST wasn’t too wise, the primary reason Littrell didn’t get that job is because they wanted to force him to keep certain KState coaches from Snyder’s staff when Littrell was expecting to bring his entire staff from UNT.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, MrAlien said:

Ideally I would like to see an experienced head coach, has a better then .500 winning percentage, and some recruiting skills.  But lets be realistic, this program has limits to whom it can bring in, and is not going to be able to poach a decent coach away from another school.  More then likely they either bring in a first time head coach, or they bring in a coach that was recently fired. 

What happens to the rest of the coaching staff and players, how many jump ship? 

At $2.2m, with our location, facilities and the AAC this will be a plum G5 job. 

• Upvote 4

Going bowling at least 2 out of 3 years (only counts if record is at least 6-6, backing in doesn't count), winning a bowl about once every 3 years. 0.600+ conference record (after about 4 seasons one oughta look at that) with a conference championship about once every 5 seasons and an appearance in conference final about once every 3. Averaging at least one OOC win over a fellow FBS team per year.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

28 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

In theory it should be, but I haven't heard of one realistic coaching candidate put forward. 

Skip. Holtz. 

I mentioned him. You neglected to acknowledge. 

There are others. Once UNT starts taking flyers, applicants will pour in and there will be no lacking in qualified candidates. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Skip. Holtz. 

I mentioned him. You neglected to acknowledge. 

There are others. Once UNT starts taking flyers, applicants will pour in and there will be no lacking in qualified candidates. 

Holtz isn't the only one.   There's literally a gigantic thread with all kinds of "realistic" names.   That I'm pretty sure this guy has seen.

Dude is myopic and thinks the only way to accomplish what we're talking about is to hire a sitting, winning, G5 or P5 coach off of a school somewhere or something (which, again, WOMACK AT SOUTH ALABAMA has been mentioned).   That is an INCREDIBLY SHORT LIST, and leaves out a ton of well-qualified, proven coaches that have either done it before (Fuente, Herman, for instance).  I have no idea what's going through his mind.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Littrell's currently salary is about the average in the AAC. Might be time to readjust your expectations. 

So your saying we should expect to be bottom barrel in the AAC? I am sure you are correct.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

So your saying we should expect to be bottom barrel in the AAC? I am sure you are correct.

No, I’m saying if you think how much we pay our coach compared to our conference mates should correlate with on-field success then you might consider tempering expectations. We currently do not pay our coach a lot of money compared to AAC standards. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

36 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

No, I’m saying if you think how much we pay our coach compared to our conference mates should correlate with on-field success then you might consider tempering expectations. We currently do not pay our coach a lot of money compared to AAC standards. 

Again, redact UH, Cincy and UCF from that list. Ole Seth Littrell would be doing alright for himself. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

He'd be top 3. I looked it up. 

So, expectations don't stop, Jimmy. 

https://www.agent49.net/aac-football-budgets-and-coaching-salaries-2022/

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/platform/amp/2021/2/23/22290155/how-much-do-aac-teams-pay-their-coaches-american-athletic-conference-football-coaching-salaries

At best he’s 6th highest. And I got some ocean front property in Arizona for you if you think those SMU and Tulane figures are accurate. 
Just promise you won’t freak out when our potential new coach makes $2M. That’s not overpaying. It’s just keeping up with the Joneses. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

https://www.agent49.net/aac-football-budgets-and-coaching-salaries-2022/

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/platform/amp/2021/2/23/22290155/how-much-do-aac-teams-pay-their-coaches-american-athletic-conference-football-coaching-salaries

At best he’s 6th highest. And I got some ocean front property in Arizona for you if you think those SMU and Tulane figures are accurate. 
Just promise you won’t freak out when our potential new coach makes $2M. That’s not overpaying. It’s just keeping up with the Joneses. 

What benefit would it be to pay more to Tulane, Tulsa and SMU? It wouldn't. You think Bloomengren at Rice is gettin the mack truck backed up to his bank account too? So, again, he's right even or slightly higher with a lot of AAC coaches as it sits right now. Temple is slightly more and Navy pays well. So. SL, with the future big12 programs removed puts him right around 3rd. New coach, if it's a name guy, will probably be in the 2-2.2 range and that will put whoever it is near the top. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, MrAlien said:

Ideally I would like to see an experienced head coach, has a better then .500 winning percentage, and some recruiting skills.  But lets be realistic, this program has limits to whom it can bring in, and is not going to be able to poach a decent coach away from another school.  More then likely they either bring in a first time head coach, or they bring in a coach that was recently fired. 

What happens to the rest of the coaching staff and players, how many jump ship? 

A new coach will bring a new staff. So no worries about staff leaving.

As far as the players, with NIL and the free transfer; some may leave.  However, to be honest how many do other schools even want.  If a P5 school wants them they would probably already be gone.  The first thing a new HC would do after hiring a staff would be to evaluate the current squad and re-recruit the ones he wants to coach and encourage the others to transfer. 

There are plenty of coaches that would jump at a NT head coach offer with a $2m salary.  I can't think of many G5 positions that would be better than NT.  Good facilities and budget plus a great football location.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

What benefit would it be to pay more to Tulane, Tulsa and SMU? It wouldn't. You think Bloomengren at Rice is gettin the mack truck backed up to his bank account too? So, again, he's right even or slightly higher with a lot of AAC coaches as it sits right now. Temple is slightly more and Navy pays well. So. SL, with the future big12 programs removed puts him right around 3rd. New coach, if it's a name guy, will probably be in the 2-2.2 range and that will put whoever it is near the top. 

Can you not read? Based on the Bleacher Report article we know Memphis, Temple, Navy, UTSA, UCF, and likely SMU and Tulane pay more in base salary. Why are you in such denial about this? 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

Just now, UNTcrazy727 said:

Can you not read? Based on the Bleacher Report article we know Memphis, Temple, Navy, UTSA, UCF, and likely SMU and Tulane pay more in base salary. Why are you in such denial about this? 

I didn't click on your artcles. I read in my own research that Memphis is right at 1.8 with SL. Temple and Navy pay higher, as I stated. I didn't think about UTSA. SMU and Tualne is speculation. UCF will be gone. So, 4th. I'm not in denial about anything. I'm juat stating that SL salary is high now, and even if we keep the new guy at the same pay (which I don't think we will), it will still be  a competitive salary that demands results. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I didn't click on your artcles. I read in my own research that Memphis is right at 1.8 with SL. Temple and Navy pay higher, as I stated. I didn't think about UTSA. SMU and Tualne is speculation. UCF will be gone. So, 4th. I'm not in denial about anything. I'm juat stating that SL salary is high now, and even if we keep the new guy at the same pay (which I don't think we will), it will still be  a competitive salary that demands results. 

That's not surprising.

*USF is listed at $1.8M, they ain't going anywhere. And Littrell is actually closer to $1.7M so like I've been saying all along, he would be an averaged paid coach in the new AAC. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

That's not surprising.

*USF is listed at $1.8M, they ain't going anywhere. And Littrell is actually closer to $1.7M so like I've been saying all along, he would be an averaged paid coach in the new AAC. 

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

• Upvote 3

@MeanGreenTexan @UNTcrazy727 by the criteria of “compete for a title and be non-conference competitive” I think is is fair. 

2017 was a team that got to the title game but eeked out wins vs UAB, Army, UTSA, and could have very easily had a losing record. It is comparable to 2022 in that expectations were not “compete”. 

I note that to highlight that I thought the 2018 team was more complete (and didn’t trail but for like 10minutes until ODU, Bowl game or something.) They did well by the above criteria — w v Arkansas — and lost to two very good teams in Tech and UAB. They didn’t go to the title game but I can appreciate it and think they deserve a passing grade. The bowl collapse, ODU loss, and the bad taste left by that UAB game drop them down a bit. I group 17/18 together because it was a good time. B- when you consider the championship game blowout, two blowout Bowl losses. 

2022 has been fun in conference (competitive by that lose-to-only-good-teams-2018-standard) but awful in non/con. If NT gets rocked in the title game and bowl it will change my feeling of this season a ton. D- range. 

If they win a league title it raises the grade but I don’t think anyone’s memory of SMU/UNLV/Memphis is washed away. B-. Bowl for bonus points after a title. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, aztecskin said:

@MeanGreenTexan @UNTcrazy727 by the criteria of “compete for a title and be non-conference competitive” I think is is fair. 

2017 was a team that got to the title game but eeked out wins vs UAB, Army, UTSA, and could have very easily had a losing record. It is comparable to 2022 in that expectations were not “compete”. 

I note that to highlight that I thought the 2018 team was more complete (and didn’t trail but for like 10minutes until ODU, Bowl game or something.) They did well by the above criteria — w v Arkansas — and lost to two very good teams in Tech and UAB. They didn’t go to the title game but I can appreciate it and think they deserve a passing grade. The bowl collapse, ODU loss, and the bad taste left by that UAB game drop them down a bit. I group 17/18 together because it was a good time. B- when you consider the championship game blowout, two blowout Bowl losses. 

2022 has been fun in conference (competitive by that lose-to-only-good-teams-2018-standard) but awful in non/con. If NT gets rocked in the title game and bowl it will change my feeling of this season a ton. D- range. 

If they win a league title it raises the grade but I don’t think anyone’s memory of SMU/UNLV/Memphis is washed away. B-. Bowl for bonus points after a title. 

In 2017 UNT was picked to finish 4th in the division. No one expected us to win 9 games or make the conference championship, but you want to dock them points for close wins vs 3 teams that had winning records? Give me a break. Their losses were to an 8 win Iowa, 7 win SMU, 11 win FAU, and 11 win Troy. How can you honestly give that team a B-? They won 4 more games than the previous season! I think people only grade the '17 and '18 seasons based on the championship and bowl losses, which is way too harsh. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3