Charlotte Hires Biff Poggi

jtm0097

Interesting hire by Charlotte. He ran a hedge fund, coached a high school in Baltimore, and was recently on the Michigan staff.

There is an HBO documentary about the inner-city high school he coached at called The Cost of Winning. I'm interested to see how this turns out. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/charlotte-hires-biff-poggi-49ers-call-on-key-michigan-assistant-to-lead-program-after-firing-will-healy/amp/#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16685493818511&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

Interesting hire by Charlotte. He ran a hedge fund, coached a high school in Baltimore, and was recently on the Michigan staff.

There is an HBO documentary about the inner-city high school he coached at. I'm interested to see how this turns out. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/charlotte-hires-biff-poggi-49ers-call-on-key-michigan-assistant-to-lead-program-after-firing-will-healy/amp/#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16685493818511&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

Sounds somewhat similar to Joe Moglia.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, ADLER said:

Butthead GIF - Back To The Future Staring Butthead - Discover & Share GIFs

It's Back To The Future for them

Meanwhile, we're stuck in Groundhog Day

Just Hit Culture Of Time: Groundhog Day's Best Supporting Actor Is A Bedside Alarm  Clock - HODINKEE

I had been wondering what bell this Biff name was ringing in the back of my head.

Those are two great movies. Remember how Bill Murray saves everyone's day at the end of the movie... when he finally moves forward.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4

10 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

It’s so weird trying to figure out what his role even really was at Michigan. On their game notes, he’s listed as “Associate Head Coach/Special Advisor” listed under Analysts. He’s not even a position coach. So strange. How is the Associate Head Coach not even a position coach?

He looks like a rich guy who decided he wanted to coach, bought a high school football team and really talented players, parlayed that into an analyst job at Michigan, and now the HC job at Charlotte.

Am I missing something? Seems like a Maryland Private High School version of Todd Dodge.

Based on what criteria?

Did you read the article?  Coaches like Nick Saban praising the hire and also his accomplishments at Michigan and other places?  Nick Saban doesn’t seem like a guy that gives out false praise.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Did you read the article?  Coaches like Nick Saban praising the hire and also his accomplishments at Michigan and other places?  Nick Saban doesn’t seem like a guy that gives out false praise.

Does your girlfriend approve of this hire, I hear he might raise his voice some? Forget Saban praise, we need to know if the GF is ok with the hire. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

This article sheds light on his role in Michigan's turnaround, and it sounds like he's been a major contributor to their recent success: https://theathletic.com/3771847/2022/11/08/michigan-biff-poggi-jim-harbaugh/

I get the impression he'll be a "CEO" type of coach in that he'll hire the best coordinators he can, and hold them responsible for successful Xs and Os while he focuses on the bigger picture and fosters team culture, motivation, and relationships.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

This article sheds light on his role in Michigan's turnaround, and it sounds like he's been a major contributor to their recent success: https://theathletic.com/3771847/2022/11/08/michigan-biff-poggi-jim-harbaugh/

I get the impression he'll be a "CEO" type of coach in that he'll hire the best coordinators he can, and hold them responsible for successful Xs and Os while he focuses on the bigger picture and fosters team culture, motivation, and relationships.

Please keep in mind that many of our fans prefer to take shots at other teams while they seem to be happy keeping the status quo at North Texas. Guess it's much easier to make fun of others than to hold your own school accountable.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 5

12 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

I was kind of iffy about him too but seems like he can do about anything he sets his sights on. Certainly understands the importance of transfers.

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/24263583/the-football-team-won-league-lost-opponents

Same here.  The more I read about him I like him.  It's out of the box to a degree but the portal has changed things and certainly guys like Sonny Dykes have changed the mold so to speak.  I hope we go in a fresh new direction as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

I remember watching the show.  Thought it was pretty good.  It's an interesting (perhaps risky?) hire, no doubt and makes for an intriguing story.  Poggi seems like a bigger-than-life character.  It will be fun to watch how this plays out and as they say, with risk, you should expect bigger returns (if the bet pays off).

• Upvote 2

On 11/15/2022 at 10:37 PM, DentonLurker said:

It’s so weird trying to figure out what his role even really was at Michigan. On their game notes, he’s listed as “Associate Head Coach/Special Advisor” listed under Analysts. He’s not even a position coach. So strange. How is the Associate Head Coach not even a position coach?

At Alabama this title/position is called "Saban coach rehab clinic" for recently failed coaches that need insight as to how top notch programs are run. I think they are used also for their experience to grade in real time performance on the field while understanding all the HC duties/communications/recruiting for "the process" of being a head coach. 

Use Sark as an example. Look at him Pre-Alabama and Post-Alabama. His demeanor is completely different. Hes having some great results and some dud reults, but he'd definitely handling it better than ast USC or Washington.  He was in this "analyst role" before leaving for the Falcons and then returning to Alabama for the 2019&2020 seasons. 

Weird that this guy was that already at Michigan, so no you aren't missing anything. A rich guy who may or may not know football that is "on cheap" for Charlotte. 

• Upvote 1