When is it Time to Panic?

gordo nation

Zero panic here.  They are fine-Grant didn’t forget how to coach, and these kids are all trying to play roles that they didn’t play the first month of practice.  Stone wouldn’t be playing if there was someone better…he will find his shot.  This team will be rolling by January 1st.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Wake Forest beat Utah Valley by 3 tonight.  

will ferrell panic GIF

Louisville lost by 1 to App State. Syracuse lost by 13 to Colgate. New Mexico is up by 21 against SMU with a minute and some change left to go. Upsets happen.

Really though, my issue is I hoped we'd be more competitive these 2 first games. We weren't Wake Forest, TCU, or Syracuse to begin with. I was hoping we'd be more like Utah Valley, Colgate, or FAU but we're none of those either. As of right now, we're more like Rice and I hoped we'd be better.

Part of my disappointment is Huntsberry. I think Huntsberry will be fine as the year goes on but I was thinking he'd be a bit better this early. That's probably on me, though.

• Upvote 2

On 11/15/2022 at 9:05 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

Louisville lost by 1 to App State. Syracuse lost by 13 to Colgate. New Mexico is up by 21 against SMU with a minute and some change left to go. Upsets happen.

Really though, my issue is I hoped we'd be more competitive these 2 first games. We weren't Wake Forest, TCU, or Syracuse to begin with. I was hoping we'd be more like Utah Valley, Colgate, or FAU but we're none of those either. As of right now, we're more like Rice and I hoped we'd be better.

Murray State over #24 Texas A$M in College Station tonight, 88-79.  A&M never led in the game, lol.

• Upvote 3

On 11/14/2022 at 8:31 PM, outoftown said:

My personal panic meter went up from 1 out of 10 at the start of the season to about 5 now (i.e. the world isn't ending, we don't need to fire the coach, the season isn't shot yet, but actual damage is being done, and not all of it will be reversible this season).

Back down to about a 4. As expected, definitely looked better with less flue and more starters back. However, i am still worried that this team is one unfortunate landing of one of Perry's feet on someone else's foot away from being very mediocre for the rest of the season. Maybe when more coaching can take place the team will also have more players emerge offensively. But until this happens my panic meter will not really go back down to where it was before the season.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, outoftown said:

Back down to about a 4. As expected, definitely looked better with less flue and more starters back. However, i am still worried that this team is one unfortunate landing of one of Perry's feet on someone else's foot away from being very mediocre for the rest of the season. Maybe when more coaching can take place the team will also have more players emerge offensively. But until this happens my panic meter will not really go back down to where it was before the season.

I share this concern about TP, he had a few athletic plays that showed he can challenge the knee pretty well and drive hard. However he did sub himself out after an athletic layup and fall to the ground.

I think we see other players develop and emerge as the season progresses.

• Upvote 1

Time to panic is if NT loses to Paul Quinn. 

NT is right were everyone would have predicted 1-1, although the loss to St Mary was a lot bigger than expected and the win over Nazarene was at best problematic. 

My biggest concern is the lack of offense minus Perry.   Perry is a super player, but McCasland is going to have to find another scorer.  They might already be on the team and just need a few games to be ready.

The play of Martinez and Scott is very promising.  Huntsberry and Eady should get better.

Stone has got some criticism on this board, and I am not sure why.  His shooting is not were it needs to be yet, however he is very active on the court with some timely rebounds and at least adequate defense. 

I do wonder about Chris Morgan, maybe he is out with illness or injury, but it is time for him to contribute.  

NT  has the potential to be a much deeper team, but will McCasland expand his rotation.  I have my doubts, he will ever use more than 7 players unless it is a blow-out. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Time to panic is if NT loses to Paul Quinn. 

NT is right were everyone would have predicted 1-1, although the loss to St Mary was a lot bigger than expected and the win over Nazarene was at best problematic. 

My biggest concern is the lack of offense minus Perry.   Perry is a super player, but McCasland is going to have to find another scorer.  They might already be on the team and just need a few games to be ready.

The play of Martinez and Scott is very promising.  Huntsberry and Eady should get better.

Stone has got some criticism on this board, and I am not sure why.  His shooting is not were it needs to be yet, however he is very active on the court with some timely rebounds and at least adequate defense. 

I do wonder about Chris Morgan, maybe he is out with illness or injury, but it is time for him to contribute.  

NT  has the potential to be a much deeper team, but will McCasland expand his rotation.  I have my doubts, he will ever use more than 7 players unless it is a blow-out. 

Morgan came in the last !:34 of the Fresno State game...not sure that answers your question

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/15/2022 at 7:26 PM, 2020 Sucks said:

Zero panic here.  They are fine-Grant didn’t forget how to coach, and these kids are all trying to play roles that they didn’t play the first month of practice.  Stone wouldn’t be playing if there was someone better…he will find his shot.  This team will be rolling by January 1st.

I told you so!  The team is 21-5 and in a great spot for the Tournament!  The panicked fans don’t understand how Grant builds teams!  The loss to rice was just a bad night…and the home loss to FAU goes to the refs.  We should be 23-3.  

To me, we should be completely pissed about teams refusing to schedule us.  We need opportunities for quality wins.  Grant has to land some home & home gigs with some good programs!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, 2020 Sucks said:

I told you so!  The team is 21-5 and in a great spot for the Tournament!  The panicked fans don’t understand how Grant builds teams!  The loss to rice was just a bad night…and the home loss to FAU goes to the refs.  We should be 23-3.  

To me, we should be completely pissed about teams refusing to schedule us.  We need opportunities for quality wins.  Grant has to land some home & home gigs with some good programs!

way to go kids GIF by Children's Miracle Network Hospitals

• Upvote 2

On 2/15/2023 at 5:12 PM, 2020 Sucks said:

Which tournament? It is in a good spot for the conference tournament. But those early season woes indeed did a lot of damage for at large chances at the NCAA one. I get how coach builts his teams. But it often comes with some annoying downsides early in the season that kill any margin of error a team like NT has to get an at large, and often you would need that margin for error at some point. Right now, there is only the tiniest of chance of NT getting in without winning the tournament. Like- NT has to run the table until the final and have looooooaaaads of carnage among the other bubble teams, plus NT needs to have its OOC opponents start to perform better down the stretch . Had they performed better in OOC (like staying close with st maries and beating UNC-W or beating FAU at least once, then they would appear in a lot of bracketologies now. Don't get me wrong: this IS a good team now. And they could absolutely get back to the big dance. But there is no margin for error because of how the early season went.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

If things fall right... North Carolina continues to fall apart, along with Clemson, Utah, and Oregon loosing at least one more game.  Memphis still has 2 games against Houston, and 1 at Whichita, which could pull them out of contention.  So there is a path for UNT to earn an at large, they would still need to win out their conference games and have a strong showing in the conference championship.   

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

If things fall right... North Carolina continues to fall apart, along with Clemson, Utah, and Oregon loosing at least one more game.  Memphis still has 2 games against Houston, and 1 at Whichita, which could pull them out of contention.  So there is a path for UNT to earn an at large, they would still need to win out their conference games and have a strong showing in the conference championship.   

Did not know Memphis still has 2 against Houston. Watched the end of Memphis vs UCF last night and couldn't believe how UCF collapsed like that. Memphis got a successful trap and hit the game winning lap with 7 seconds left. UCF quickly tossed the outlet pass and had a 2 on 1 to win the game but missed the contested layup. A Memphis loss last night would have really helped us.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

more important than that, i feel like we just need all the top ranked teams to win their conference tourney

that'll help keep at large spots available

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

more important than that, i feel like we just need all the top ranked teams to win their conference tourney

that'll help keep at large spots available

Not just win, but perform against their lower ranked conference mates early in their conference tournaments. Don't need a 16-14 team going on a run in their conference tournament and finishing 19-15. Even without winning their tournaments, that's enough to propel some blue bloods into at large bids.

• Upvote 1