When is it Time to Panic?

gordo nation

Okay, that was really hard to watch. Now I know there's a bunch of excuses to justify this loss (mostly regarding the flu) but we still saw a group of supposedly competitive D1 athletes get absolutely demolished by a team that should've been relatively equal in regards to talent. `

I know it's only 2 games, but when do we start pulling the alarms on this season?

GMG  

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Am I missing something? I thought this St. Mary's team was supposed to compete with Gonzaga for their league title.  Not just play second fiddle, but actually compete at their level.

Eh you're actually probably right. I think the 30 point loss just kinda struck a a cord in me

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

Jayden Martinez was a bright spot from this game.  He should be starting in place of Stone.  He was 3/4 from 3 point range and 5/8 from the field for 13 total points as a forward.  Stone again with zero points.

Agree wholeheartedly.  Stone is an absolute liability on offense and defense.  Why did we sign a slow, white kid that can’t shoot?

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

My personal panic meter went up from 1 out of 10 at the start of the season to about 5 now (i.e. the world isn't ending, we don't need to fire the coach, the season isn't shot yet, but actual damage is being done, and not all of it will be reversible this season). Yes flu. Yes good opponent. Yes down two of the most experienced starters left. Yes MacCasland has proven that he gets his teams better during the season and yes he has the skins on the wall to prove he is a good coach.

But also: 33-4 (!!!!!) at some point during the first half. The final result was not actually indicative of the true beat down it was. And that on top of a D2 game that at can at best be considered a lucky win against against a lower level opponent that couldn't be bothered enough to go for the jugular. And also, when you play like this early in the season if you make it you get lower seeding, and you don't get the Q1 and Q2 wins you need to have a shot at an at large. Some may think one doesn't have that anyway in C-USA but i would disagree. And next year in the AAC there definitely will be the opportunity to get there, but for that NT has to start gelling earlier in the season than it has at times the last few years.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Grant has a 5 year track record of doing great things, the flu has apparently decimated the team (get your shots people) .... St Marys is good, would've been nice to get a Q1 but it didnt happen 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

It *was* halftime of the SNU when we were down 4 at home to a D2 team.  Last night just strengthened that panic feeling.  We shouldn't lose by 30 to anyone, regardless of the excuses.  Hopefully things get better when Perry and Jones return, but if Ousmane keeps missing bunnies and we're relying on Scott for our outside shooting, it's going to be a long season.

• Upvote 6

We need our full team to be playing before we panic.  Learning who can contribute when forced to play big minutes could help us in the future.

It is concerning to see us look lost on offense like that, but our defense played pretty well.  Most of the team is new too.  I think by mid-December we'll look like a different team once we have Perry and Jones back and a more normal rotation.

• Upvote 6

35 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We have people trying to come up with reasons to keep giving Seth more chances and others are going to start talking about panicking in reference to Grant? What a fanbase.

To be fair…. Benford lost to a D2 team on the road and got trashed. McCarny lost to a D2 football program at home and lost his job. Mac lost to a D2 team at home… there needs to be some skepticism what the rest of the year holds. I don’t see why people would attack other coaches but give Grant a pass. All 3 losses sucked… 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 8

You panic if we struggle all the way through to the conference opener, showing no signs of improvement, then lose that game against nutsak (Dec 22).

This team has a long way to go to get to where they will be competing for the conference title.  As others have said, previous Mac teams have stumbled out of the gate, but kept improving all year.  If he can get this current squad in the competition for a conference title it looks, right now anyways, that it will be his best coaching job yet. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We have people trying to come up with reasons to keep giving Seth more chances and others are going to start talking about panicking in reference to Grant? What a fanbase.

If you compare the most hawkish folks on basketball with the most dovish ones on football, of course it will look a bit schizophrenic. Its because those are not the same people, and every fanbase has a bit of diversity of views. However the big difference to football is that even though some want more, I don't think i have seen anyone yet wanting to pull the rug on grant, plenty of people (probably majority on this board) wanting to pull it on Seth.

People are worried about this season in Bball. People take solace in past seasons, which is reasonable, but given how this present season has gone so far, unadulterated optimism would also be hard to justify.

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

17 hours ago, Andrew said:

To be fair…. Benford lost to a D2 team on the road and got trashed. McCarny lost to a D2 football program at home and lost his job. Mac lost to a D2 team at home… there needs to be some skepticism what the rest of the year holds. I don’t see why people would attack other coaches but give Grant a pass. All 3 losses sucked… 

When are we going to talk about the FACT* that McCasland held Rubin and Tylor out of this game in a blatant attempt to throw the game??!!

*"Fact" is defined as some stuff I pulled out of thin air, with zero logical basis, but will double down on when challenged.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Not really worried about the Saint Mary's game due to the flu issue, but there was no excuse for the Southern Nazarene performance. If you're a legit conference contender it shouldn't matter if you're top 2 players are out. You should still dominate a D2 opponent.

Can you imagine the uproar if Littrell needed a last second FG to beat TX Southern?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1