How good is the USF football job? Better than it was in Bulls’ last coaching search

Coach Andy Mac

TAMPA — As the USF football coaching search unfolds over the coming weeks, every Bulls candidate will confront the same question.

How good is the USF job?

The answer being pitched this week at the Lee Roy Selmon Athletics Center: better than it was 35 months ago when the Bulls hired Jeff Scott.

“A lot of things that Jeff helped pave the way for will be a great benefit to whoever comes in here and takes the baton from here,” athletic director Michael Kelly said Tuesday.

Related: Forget about sexy hires, USF is looking for a long-term relationship

The foundation Scott laid will be a crucial selling point as USF hunts for his successor. Because for all of USF’s inherent advantages — starting with its location in one of the nation’s top recruiting areas — its history is full of unrealized potential.

But USF has also never won a conference title or played for one. Since 2000, only four other Group of Five programs have played every year without at least appearing in a conference championship: Eastern Michigan, UNLV, New Mexico and Tulane (which might get there this year).

read more:  https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2022/11/09/usf-football-coaching-search-bulls-jeff-scott-michael-kelly/

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

TAMPA — As the USF football coaching search unfolds over the coming weeks, every Bulls candidate will confront the same question.

How good is the USF job?

The answer being pitched this week at the Lee Roy Selmon Athletics Center: better than it was 35 months ago when the Bulls hired Jeff Scott.

“A lot of things that Jeff helped pave the way for will be a great benefit to whoever comes in here and takes the baton from here,” athletic director Michael Kelly said Tuesday.

The foundation Scott laid will be a crucial selling point as USF hunts for his successor. Because for all of USF’s inherent advantages — starting with its location in one of the nation’s top recruiting areas — its history is full of unrealized potential.

But USF has also never won a conference title or played for one. Since 2000, only four other Group of Five programs have played every year without at least appearing in a conference championship: Eastern Michigan, UNLV, New Mexico and Tulane (which might get there this year).

read more:  https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2022/11/09/usf-football-coaching-search-bulls-jeff-scott-michael-kelly/

Manny Diaz!

• Upvote 1

Success is perception.  

I live in Seminole, Florida, across the bridge fromTampa.  My neighbor was on the coaching staff at USF when Jim Leavitt was the coach.  He asked me, “I saw you guys are bowl qualified.”

I replied that we were but our bowl outcome didnt look good.  I told him we had been to six in the Littrell era. 

“Six!”, he replied.  “We have only won 4 games total in the past three years.”

Success is perception.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ntexeagle said:

Success is perception.  

I live in Seminole, Florida, across the bridge fromTampa.  My neighbor was on the coaching staff at USF when Jim Leavitt was the coach.  He asked me, “I saw you guys are bowl qualified.”

I replied that we were but our bowl outcome didnt look good.  I told him we had been to six in the Littrell era. 

“Six!”, he replied.  “We have only won 4 games total in the past three years.”

Success is perception.

You know UNT would still be an underdog to USF for a game in Tampa.  It's more strength by association.  Conference affiliation is perception of a better program.  USF being in the AAC is much better than the same USF if it was in CUSA.   Playing several ranked conference opponents and one member that was in the College Football Playoffs adds more "strength to program" than who we play in conference.  Even lowly Vanderbilt gets beauty points just for being an SEC member.