Okay... Now I Understand...

gordo nation

5 hours ago, gordo nation said:

This man CAN NOT be allowed to coach this team in the AAC. Obviously we will all be happy if we win a bowl game this year, or somehow manage to win a CUSA championship (by the grace of God LMAO.) However, this level of mediocrity can't be allowed to continue...

Exactly you should be able to bring Another coach to be mediocre with solid resources here.  There was nothing worth hanging on to after last year.  And Aune being the starter and not improving significantly is just glaring failure for a head coach with an offensive background.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 4

21 hours ago, gordo nation said:

I have to admit, I get it now. I was pretty new to this football community, and I only had the knowledge of Seth's record on paper before this year. Being an out of state freshman that really didn't watch any UNT football until this year, I never understood why the community felt so negatively for Seth. In my eyes, all I saw was a coach that took a team that got blown out by Portland State, to a team with multiple bowl appearances and a mediocre record. I understood the frustration by fans wanting to see the team take steps forward, but I never saw why people found Littrell to be such a terrible coach... Well that all changed yesterday.

Let me just say... Holy shit... That was some of the worst, uninspiring, boring game managements i've ever seen in my life (granted i'm only 19.) How daft do you have to be to seemingly give up on your team in pivotal moments? It felt like he saw every moment in the game as nothing more than a damn scrimmage. I genuinely don't think he cares. I first had my suspicions when I watched his press conferences. They were dull, lackluster, generic, and didn't really make his coaching style or demeanor stand out in any motivating way. You know who he reminds me of? SCOTT FROST!!! A promising coach on paper, but nothing more than a Madden robot once he's on the sideline. 

This is long, but I just wanted to throw my thoughts out there. I feel as if I owe an apology to the entirety of mean green nation. I had Seth's back for a while due to the fact that I never really had solid evidence to completely give up on him, well now I do!

This man CAN NOT be allowed to coach this team in the AAC. Obviously we will all be happy if we win a bowl game this year, or somehow manage to win a CUSA championship (by the grace of God LMAO.) However, this level of mediocrity can't be allowed to continue...

And please... For the love of God do not hire a TX high school football coach like they did with Todd... Obviously I did not experience that era in person, but I know damn well that hiring local HS FB coaches for FBS jobs do not usually turn out well

Anyway... Thoughts are always welcome. I love this school and I still manage to brag to my friends back home about how much of a hidden gem this place is. I really hope we take a chance on a new coach next year. GMG!

Yup, it's been like this for all 7 years of his tenure. Mediocrity but somehow managing to do just enough to keep his job before getting blown out in yet another meaningful game (conference championship, bowl game, etc.) Follow that up with little to no emotion on the sidelines and the same copy and paste press conferences of "we need to be better in all three phases, etc." and many on this board are fed up with this because it has been the same situation over and over again. I truly believe a majority of our games will be blow outs once we are in the American if Seth is our coach.  

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Yup, it's been like this for all 7 years of his tenure. Mediocrity but somehow managing to do just enough to keep his job before getting blown out in yet another meaningful game (conference championship, bowl game, etc.) Follow that up with little to no emotion on the sidelines and the same copy and paste press conferences of "we need to be better in all three phases, etc." and many on this board are fed up with this because it has been the same situation over and over again. I truly believe a majority of our games will be blow outs once we are in the American if Seth is our coach.  

And I think that's what is so frustrating for both the fanbase, and the athletic department. The AD looks at this situation in a comparison to what UNT was before Seth was here, not what UNT SHOULD be after how long Seth has been here. 

I do not entirely blame the AD. It's hard to pull the trigger on a coach that's still managing to achieve consistent bowl appearances, but at some point you have to move forward and want MORE for the program.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, gordo nation said:

I have to admit, I get it now. I was pretty new to this football community, and I only had the knowledge of Seth's record on paper before this year. Being an out of state freshman that really didn't watch any UNT football until this year, I never understood why the community felt so negatively for Seth. In my eyes, all I saw was a coach that took a team that got blown out by Portland State, to a team with multiple bowl appearances and a mediocre record. I understood the frustration by fans wanting to see the team take steps forward, but I never saw why people found Littrell to be such a terrible coach... Well that all changed yesterday.

Let me just say... Holy shit... That was some of the worst, uninspiring, boring game managements i've ever seen in my life (granted i'm only 19.) How daft do you have to be to seemingly give up on your team in pivotal moments? It felt like he saw every moment in the game as nothing more than a damn scrimmage. I genuinely don't think he cares. I first had my suspicions when I watched his press conferences. They were dull, lackluster, generic, and didn't really make his coaching style or demeanor stand out in any motivating way. You know who he reminds me of? SCOTT FROST!!! A promising coach on paper, but nothing more than a Madden robot once he's on the sideline. 

This is long, but I just wanted to throw my thoughts out there. I feel as if I owe an apology to the entirety of mean green nation. I had Seth's back for a while due to the fact that I never really had solid evidence to completely give up on him, well now I do!

And please... For the love of God do not hire a TX high school football coach like they did with Todd... Obviously I did not experience that era in person, but I know damn well that hiring local HS FB coaches for FBS jobs do not usually turn out well

Anyway... Thoughts are always welcome. I love this school and I still manage to brag to my friends back home about how much of a hidden gem this place is. I really hope we take a chance on a new coach next year. GMG!

Apology accepted!  Appreciate your courage to speak your mind.  I look forward to following your postings.

51 minutes ago, gordo nation said:

And I think that's what is so frustrating for both the fanbase, and the athletic department. The AD looks at this situation in a comparison to what UNT was before Seth was here, not what UNT SHOULD be after how long Seth has been here. 

I do not entirely blame the AD. It's hard to pull the trigger on a coach that's still managing to achieve consistent bowl appearances, but at some point you have to move forward and want MORE for the program.

2 of his 5 bowl appearances* were gifts. They weren't earned by performance on the field. And it's not that damn hard to get to 6 wins in CUSA. It should be the bare minimum, not standard. 

* @Brett Vito fails to mention that when he's basically advocating for an extension due to all of the "success". He also fails to mention the 7,472 bowl games when mentioning Seth Littrell's bowl "appearance" accomplishment in relation to UNT's past bowl invitations. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3

47 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

2 of his 5 bowl appearances* were gifts. They weren't earned by performance on the field. And it's not that damn hard to get to 6 wins in CUSA. It should be the bare minimum, not standard. 

* @Brett Vito fails to mention that when he's basically advocating for an extension due to all of the "success". He also fails to mention the 7,472 bowl games when mentioning Seth Littrell's bowl "appearance" accomplishment in relation to UNT's past bowl invitations. 

He did mention how two of the Bowl appearances were not earned in the Blazer Podcast last week.  I guess he could also include it the articles he writes?

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, ttunt1970 said:

The Kansas coach was at Buffalo MAC not FCS level

He first built Wisconsin-Whitewater into a DIII powerhouse winning 6 National Championships out of the 7 years he was there. I think that's what he was referring to. He was also well on his way towards turning Buffalo around until KU came calling. My two cents are that I agree with @p_phelps. Give me a known program builder that has been there, done that before and knows what works rather than a career coordinator trying to learn on the fly and experimenting every year trying to figure out what works. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

The North Texas Daily (Denton, Tex.), Vol. 56, No. 56, Ed. 1 Friday, January 19, 1973 - Page: 2 of 4 . Magnified. The Portal to Texas History (unt.edu)

Interesting interview with Hayden Fry very early in his tenure. Hope we can find another coach who would take the time to do some research regarding the problems with the football program BEFORE taking the job.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

He first built Wisconsin-Whitewater into a DIII powerhouse winning 6 National Championships out of the 7 years he was there. I think that's what he was referring to. He was also well on his way towards turning Buffalo around until KU came calling. My two cents are that I agree with @p_phelps. Give me a known program builder that has been there, done that before and knows what works rather than a career coordinator trying to learn on the fly and experimenting every year trying to figure out what works. 

THIS is what I have been preaching about for years. We need someone just like this guy.

🏈 Lance Leipold Named Kansas Head Football Coach – Kansas Jayhawks (kuathletics.com)

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

THIS is what I have been preaching about for years. We need someone just like this guy.

🏈 Lance Leipold Named Kansas Head Football Coach – Kansas Jayhawks (kuathletics.com)

So Leipold came to FBS Buffalo from D3 Wisconsin-Whitewater. Considering that, what would you think about this guy: https://pittstategorillas.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/brian-wright/642, or this one: https://uiwcardinals.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/g-j-kinne/2626?

21 minutes ago, eulessismore said:

So Leipold came to FBS Buffalo from D3 Wisconsin-Whitewater. Considering that, what would you think about this guy: https://pittstategorillas.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/brian-wright/642, or this one: https://uiwcardinals.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/g-j-kinne/2626?

My two cents, the sample size is way too small for both of them for me to be fully on board with either. Wright does have some interim coaching experience at FAU for 4 games but otherwise, both are still in their first and second years as head coaches. Wright has more experience and seems the more ready to make an FBS jump but I would need to see more from him and his program building. 

On 11/14/2022 at 1:30 PM, Glory to the Green said:

He did mention how two of the Bowl appearances were not earned in the Blazer Podcast last week.  I guess he could also include it the articles he writes?

He never clarifies it in his articles. It's always just "UNT has been bowl eligible 5 of the last 6 years" which isn't true. He leaves it out because it blows a hole in his defense of Littrell. If Littrell had won 6 games in 5 of the last 6 seasons, his seat wouldn't be nearly as hot right now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

He never clarifies it in his articles. It's always just "UNT has been bowl eligible 5 of the last 6 years" which isn't true. He leaves it out because it blows a hole in his defense of Littrell. If Littrell had won 6 games in 5 of the last 6 seasons, his seat wouldn't be nearly as hot right now. 

That’s Vito’s MO. Selectively cherry-pick stats to try and make his choices look good (Littrell, Aune, etc.) meanwhile, the results on the field tell a much different story.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

18 hours ago, eulessismore said:

If I was told that I had to choose between those two, I would go with Kinne. Lots of experience, pro and college, and he probably has a lot of Texas connections.