DRC (updated with story): American announces schedule model that will have UNT playing SMU annually

Brett Vito

13 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Yes, the season opener! Will be interested to see how many fans they bring to the game.

My dream is we sign a home&home with Georgia Tech and bring them in for a 7th home game next year. It would really send a message that we're entering a new era of UNT football if we hosted 2 P5s. 

My quick and hasty research last week showed they were one of the few teams still needing an OOC game next year with an opening on 9/9. 

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

My dream is we sign a home&home with Georgia Tech and bring them in for a 7th home game next year. It would really send a message that we're entering a new era of UNT football if we hosted 2 P5s. 

My quick and hasty research last week showed they were one of the few teams still needing an OOC game next year with an opening on 9/9. 

How many teams/conferences did you research the other week? I may continue the effort this evening...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NT80 said:

Looks like Smut is the only school we play every year, Tulsa and UTSA 3/4 years.

So even the AAC has labeled us as Rivals instead of with UTSA, lol.

Would need to see the next 8-10 years to actually figure out the model. There are teams like UTSA, Tulsa, Tulane that we play 3 of the next 4 years, but I'd like to see if that will be the same case 2027-30.

I like playing every team in the conference twice in four years, but it will be tougher to make it to a conference championship game. Now have to be better than 12 teams instead of 6.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

So

4x SMU

3x:  UTSA & USF (2 home games)  Tulsa & Tulane (2 away games)

2x Rice, Temple, Navy, Charlotte, ECU, Memphis, UAB, FAU

Given a non-divisional set-up this is probably as good as it could get. Tulsa is a very driveable away game for a good part of the Fan base, Tulane is in a nice place to visit, UTSA is still coming twice.

i like it better (altough difference isn't huge) than -for example- SMUs cycle:

4x NT

3x: Tulsa & Rice (2 home games) Memphis & ECU (2 away games)

2x: Tulane, UTSA, Charlotte, USF, FAU, Navy, Temple, UAB

For reference UTSAs cycle:

4x Rice

3x:  UAB & Memphis (2 home games) NT & Temple (2 away games)

2x: SMU, ECU, Charlotte, USF, Tulsa,navy

Rices cycle (not that it makes a difference, but I doubt this one is particularly helpful for rice attendance):

4x: UTSA

3x: Tulane & ECU (2 home games) SMU & Tulsa (2 away games)

2x:  Charlotte, USF, FAU, Memphis, UAB, NT, Temple, Navy

Tulsas cycle:

4x: none

3x: NT, Rice & Charlotte(2 home games) Tulane, FAU & SMU (2 away games)

2x: UTSA, Charlotte, Temple, UAB, Navy, ECU, USF

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

On 11/9/2022 at 11:59 AM, golfingomez said:

I believe that it's because there only 14 teams, so two of them are going to come up short.  I believe that if there were 16 teams each would have a four team partner.  Tulane and Tulsa only play each other three times in four years because they are last alphabetically and farthest apart of all the pairs.