Saint Mary's (11/13/22)

CMJ

8 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

ya. we might need to say that was a swing and a miss. 

Can we say the same about Huntsberry or am I just frustrated by the 7/26 (3/14 from 3) he's currently sporting in his short Mean Green career? It's got to get better, right?

Edit: shooting numbers were off.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Can we say the same about Huntsberry or am I just frustrated by the 7/28 (3/14 from 3) he's currently sporting in his short Mean Green career? It's got to get better, right?

I'm not ready to say that after one bad game. he's having one of those games where literally nothing is dropping...he's missed some real bunnies at the bucket that will drop most of the time. he's just not maybe a 12 shot a game player once Perry and Jones are back. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Eady, Martinez, Rubin, Perry, Ousmane, Scott. There's 6... I'd like to see more of Sissoko due to the positional need. I guess I need to be patient with Huntsberry as well (no choice, really).

I'm kinda intrigued to see a bit more of Moore too...at least showing a willingness to go try and get his own shot. 

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I'm not ready to say that after one bad game. he's having one of those games where literally nothing is dropping...he's missed some real bunnies at the bucket that will drop most of the time. he's just not maybe a 12 shot a game player once Perry and Jones are back. 

And that last part is really why I'm going to exercise patience. With Rubin Jones and Perry back, it should allow him to be a bit more picky with shot selection. Hopefully this is just one of those games where nothing is dropping and these prove to be of the rare variety.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

That blowout loss at UTA with Benford was worse. 

That one was Jones…. The year we had Jones and Williams and Mitchel had to sit half the year. Ask Emmitt… he was there right by us on the road. 

we got lucky they pulled their guys so early in the second half.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2011-11-22-texas-arlington.html

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

In addition to the scoring burden lifting off of him, I also think he’ll benefit from moving to a secondary ball handler role next to Perry. He’ll still fill that role in spurts but I think he’ll look better with not needing to be the only creator on the court.

• Upvote 2

It was tough to watch, but the team fought hard.  Ousmane short armed a few shots (likely due SMC’s size), Huntsberry missed a few lay ups, and we couldn’t buy a 3 early in the game. 

On defense, the ball moved faster than our defenders and they hit their open 3’s.  Credit to them for making the passes and hitting their shots.

Moving forward:  #3 is quick!  I’m looking forward to watching him develop.  And I’m not sure what’s up with Stone. He’s starting for a reason, just hope that reason shows up sooner than later. He’s not afraid to shoot, but would love to see him hit on some of them. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

And that last part is really why I'm going to exercise patience. With Rubin Jones and Perry back, it should allow him to be a bit more picky with shot selection. Hopefully this is just one of those games where nothing is dropping and these prove to be of the rare variety.

could be too he's more of a THJ kinda streaky player...can get you 25 one night and follow that up with a 14% shooting performance...really not a big enough body of work yet to judge. 

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, 2020 Sucks said:

We were never gonna have a shot out of CUSA anyway.  So none of these games matter until December!

I choose to believe otherwise: CUSA can be a two-bidder but we are blowing these quad 1 opportunities.

I think wins like these can make a huge difference when you are a 22+ win team that doesn't win CUSA.  I feel like I've read "lack of Q1" wins too many times when we aren't winning the tournament.

• Upvote 1