Saint Mary's (11/13/22)

CMJ

9 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

The commentator on the half time feed on wccsports.com said the WCC is a 2 or 3 bid conference.  Someone with a higher basketball IQ help me understand why the WCC gets 2-3 bids and CUSA gets 1 or maybe 2 with the very occasional at large bid.

They always do much better in the computer rankings, that's why.

• Upvote 1

Long time lurker, first time poster here.. This is the most frustrated I have been with a McCasland team. It will be very interesting to see what sort of impact Rubin and TP have when they rejoin the starting line up. Even with them missing though I'm having a hard time figuring out how none of these guys expect for Kai can create their own shot. There is such a lack of creativity and i'm just waiting for someone to try to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. It's not like some of these guys weren't contributors at their previous schools

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Well, they snag an at large here and there, for sure. They have Gonzaga, but they have well branded and competitive basketball programs; Zags, SMC, San Fran, Pepperdine, BYU, USD, etc. Those listed programs could probably come into CUSA and make a lot of noise. 

So they just have better teams to get the additional at large bids.

Got it.

6 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

I’m telling you this was worse. I hate to say that. Truly.

Those early Benford games you could tell that the coaching was "off".

Tonight, I'm reminded of Gillespie's first year in El Paso: that team lost a ton of games (they only won 6!) but you could see a good coach underneath it all.

Just to be clear: I think we will win more than 6 games.

Edited by greenminer
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Screaching Eagle said:

Long time lurker, first time poster here.. This is the most frustrated I have been with a McCasland team. It will be very interesting to see what sort of impact Rubin and TP have when they rejoin the starting line up. Even with them missing though I'm having a hard time figuring out how none of these guys expect for Kai can create their own shot. There is such a lack of creativity and i'm just waiting for someone to try to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. It's not like some of these guys weren't contributors at their previous schools

Feels like watching the mavericks without Brunson now. A bunch of supposedly defensive oriented guys who are struggling to play defense. With the occasional 3 and D guy. I thought Scott would have worked on creating his own shot over the break. He has the ability. Perry and Jones both can. Should be better when they get back. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

20 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Well to anyone who watched the game and knows basketball we lost. I suppose to an average fan blinded by the green googles then we won by 6. I don’t take being handed a game by a D2 team at home by pity pulling their starters a loss. Then again that’s why some people coach and play and others just sit around and watch… 

my brother in christ...which is the more likely scenario:

A. SNU coach, going into a meaningless exhibition game he probably anticipated losing, had a game-plan to play 10-12 players for 10-20 minutes to give everyone some burn, see what all his players could do against D1 competition and despite a second half lead he determined there was more value in sticking to that plan for their season big picture.

B.  Grant slid SNU coach a cool $100 and a Buckee's gift card to throw the game. 

• Upvote 4