Turning the corner

NT93

Some have said that maybe SL has “turned the corner” and maybe he has “figured it out.”  I was thinking about it and it seems to me that Aune may be the one who has “turned the corner”, not SL.  Thoughts?

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

I think Aune and Littrell are learning from their mistakes which have been plentiful. People talk about 2019 and I don’t care. I want to know, “Is this team better than it was last year?”. I feel like I can say yes to that and as long as it continues to be true I don’t want to consider a rebuilding process.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Insightful with data to support thesis"

SteaminWillieBeamin was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

This is the trap that we fall into every single year.  Except this year we knew coming into the season that it is a very very easy schedule.

We have beaten one team over .500.
We have lost to three teams with losing records. 

That means we are under performing, big time. I know that some (myself included) were even MORE down on this team and didn't think we would get over 6 wins for the year (even with the easy schedule). But we are at 6 and winning the games we need to win and losing come we should win.

It is frustrating, every. single. year. 

I think that is why some (myself included) just aren't radiating joy with the results. It feels like fools gold. Of course we should be beating UTEP, FIU and La Tech. They are predictably miserable. We should not be blown out by Memphis, SMU or UNLV. 

So this all bleeds into how I feel about Aune's performances lately. Sure, they are good outings. I like seeing it. I was high fiving my friends all around. But he SHOULD be doing this against the weakest of our competition of the year. He SHOULD be doing this in year 5 in Seth's system. 

It's definitely seemed like he had more pep in his step and things were slowing down for him. Was really nice to see him click. 

But alas - I hope we continue! 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

My "Bang my head frustration" when I hear "Turn the corner" is that we already turned the corner in 2017 and 2018 and had two 9-win seasons. So aren't we really hoping he gets back on schedule? The "corners" left to turn are winning OOC games. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

This is the trap that we fall into every single year.  Except this year we knew coming into the season that it is a very very easy schedule.

That means we are under performing, big time. I know that some (myself included) were even MORE down on this team and didn't think we would get over 6 wins for the year (even with the easy schedule). But we are at 6 and winning the games we need to win and losing come we should win.

I think that is why some (myself included) just aren't radiating joy with the results. It feels like fools gold. Of course we should be beating UTEP, FIU and La Tech. They are predictably miserable. We should not be blown out by Memphis, SMU or UNLV. 

So this all bleeds into how I feel about Aune's performances lately. Sure, they are good outings. I like seeing it. I was high fiving my friends all around. But he SHOULD be doing this against the weakest of our competition of the year. He SHOULD be doing this in year 5 in Seth's system. 

It's definitely seemed like he had more pep in his step and things were slowing down for him. Was really nice to see him click. 

facts GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Memphis we were down 41-20 in the 4th quarter. Couple scores when the game was out of reach made it look more respectable. Certainly felt like a blow out. We were never in it after the second be quarter. 

UNLV was clearly a blowout. Boneheaded coaching counts towards a blow out. A "couple" bad decisions don't lead to a 30+ point loss.

I'm not here for moral victories or justification on how a double digit defeat to a team with a losing record is really ok. 

I'm ok with my outlook.

Anecdote time - my oldest son is on the small side. My youngest son is on the giant side. Oldest son is merely ok at soccer, but his younger brother thinks he's the star of all teams, the best of the best. My youngest son's team needed a player to fill in for a game a few weeks back or they'd have to forfeit. Since it's just YMCA no real score keeping, the coach asked my oldest son to fill in - since he's the same height as these kids 3.5 years younger. He goes on to showboat, score 6 goals, gloat a bit in the car ride home, taking in all the praise from his little brother.. in fact, some of the parents still tell me how awesome my "other son" is at soccer and how he must crush it in the school league. My oldest barely sees the field in his own team against his peers. But against lessor competition, he's a star. We still know he's just an "ok" player against his own peers.  That's UNT vs this CUSA schedule in a nutshell. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Memphis we were down 41-20 in the 4th quarter. Couple scores when the game was out of reach made it look more respectable. Certainly felt like a blow out. We were never in it after the second be quarter. 

UNLV was clearly a blowout. Boneheaded coaching counts towards a blow out. A "couple" bad decisions don't lead to a 30+ point loss.

I'm not here for moral victories or justification on how a double digit defeat to a team with a losing record is really ok. 

I'm ok with my outlook.

Anecdote time - my oldest son is on the small side. My youngest son is on the giant side. Oldest son is merely ok at soccer, but his younger brother thinks he's the star of all teams, the best of the best. My youngest son's team needed a player to fill in for a game a few weeks back or they'd have to forfeit. Since it's just YMCA no real score keeping, the coach asked my oldest son to fill in - since he's the same height as these kids 3.5 years younger. He goes on to showboat, score 6 goals, gloat a bit in the car ride home, taking in all the praise from his little brother.. in fact, some of the parents still tell me how awesome my "other son" is at soccer and how he must crush it in the school league. My oldest barely sees the field in his own team against his peers. But against lessor competition, he's a star. We still know he's just an "ok" player against his own peers.  That's UNT vs this CUSA schedule in a nutshell. 

The anecdote is great (I can just picture the ride home) and I understand the point you’re trying to make.  BUT, we’re the young son playing with kids our own age.  If Iowa St. came down and dominated CUSA, that would be like the average older brother playing against the younger kids. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Agree with everything you’re saying. And given all that, based on history, he should probably lose to UAB, beat Rice, lose handily to UTSA and then lose the bowl game. Then we’ll have a new HC…

That’s what he’s done for 6+ seasons. 

However he should’ve lost to WKU too but he blew them out. I don’t think he’s done that before. Win a meaningful game on the road against a winning team?

So what happens if he beats UAB, beats Rice and beats UTSA. (All possible) Like I said in another thread, do that and  he will have reached new territory. Yes, a little ridiculous that it took 7 years but still he would have done it.

So what do we do then?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Agree with everything you’re saying. And given all that, based on history, he should probably lose to UAB, beat Rice, lose handily to UTSA and then lose the bowl game. Then we’ll have a new HC…

That’s what he’s done for 6+ seasons. 

However he should’ve lost to WKU too but he blew them out. I don’t think he’s done that before. Win a meaningful game on the road against a winning team?

So what happens if he beats UAB, beats Rice and beats UTSA. (All possible) Like I said in another thread, do that and  he will have reached new territory. Yes, a little ridiculous that it took 7 years but still he would have done it.

So what do we do then?

You let him coach his last year and see how he does in the AAC. If it's 5-6-7-8 four td losses like it very well could be, you thank him for his work at UNT and then you go hire the best recruiting HC you can snab. If he takes us bowling year 1 in the AAC, extend him. 

What you do not do is put the university in another financial conundrum by extending him several years, 3+, with bigger money and incentives. That would be dumb. Very. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1