Jump to content

Our Campus Needs to be Beautified


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You think it's bad now.  Should have seen it in the mid 60's when my moved to Denton.  It looks like a compared to then.

Isn't that the truth! Coming from Virginia, I enrolled in the autumn of 1971 without any previous visits. I had never seen such an ugly campus in all of my life.  The facilities were bad as well; overcrowded classrooms, crumbling infrastructure, etc. At West Hall, they had three of us to a room.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Isn't that the truth! Coming from Virginia, I enrolled in the autumn of 1971 without any previous visits. I had never seen such an ugly campus in all of my life.  The facilities were bad as well; overcrowded classrooms, crumbling infrastructure, etc. At West Hall, they had three of us to a room.

campus was ugly in 95....gotta love those orange seats in the pit...and west hall still had 3 to a room then

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hell, it was ugly in '98-'02.... spent most of my life between the GAB and Wooten... aesthetics only a bomb shelter architect from the 70's could love! 

I'll all about this effort, anything we can do on this front is important and awesome - I'm just appreciate of how far we've come in the 20 years since I first graduated.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Hell, it was ugly in '98-'02.... spent most of my life between the GAB and Wooten... aesthetics only a bomb shelter architect from the 70's could love! 

 

Wooten - dear lord.  I spent most of my time there.  Ugly as hell, and no windows in the classrooms.  Like some sort of detention center. And let’s not forget the library — looked like something from East Germany.  
There were some bright spots though — the Administration building and the old Smith Hall that housed KNTU.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only parts of campus I find still absolutely hideous are down by College Inn and the Environmental Science area. The most beautiful area is definitely by the Auditorium building. When it snows, that area in front of the Auditorium building makes you feel like you’re at an Ivy League.

Wooten, GAB, and Language building are a monstrosity. I like the music buildings, they have a weird brutalist beauty to them.

Campus looks SO MUCH BETTER today than it did in 2009 when I got there.

Edited by Coach Mac Andy
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny when I arrived here in the mid 1970's I thought the campus was beautiful.  Probably because I grew up in El Paso and had never seen that many trees and green in my life.  

TWU is trying to get Bell closed and I think they may have done it.   So it can be done but you have to get a city council member to push it.   I wouldn't ask the Mayor because his old business was an eyesore of its own.  

I have been on the TWU campus and they seem to better job with grounds than we do.  I guess a smaller campus makes it easier.  I am not sure who is in charge of that aspect but they could do better.  I have great memories at the GAB because that is where I had most my classes and met great friends.

I think a building that could be torn down (don't know what it called) but it located across from Maple hall next to the music building.  It looks a elementary School building.  Some of the older building on campus give it character.    I remember one day I took a different walking home and went out of the west doors of the GAB and walked up the mall towards the Admin building.  It really had the college vibe.  It is so different from the path from the GAB to the SUB and beyond..

Back then the Old Business Building did not have air conditioning.  In the spring the windows would be open with no screens the wasps would fly into the classroom.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, gordo nation said:

UNT is in serious need of campus beautification. Whether it's the streets that tear through the core of campus, or the lack of creativity and beauty given to the car centric, sprawled out landscape, I feel that most in the UNT community could get behind some sort of beautification project here at UNT. Before you think I am crazy, look at the University of Louisville. They were able to take a hideous campus surrounded by major manufacturing plants, and turn it into a lively, beautiful, and desirable campus. Students nowadays make their first impression on the beauty of a college's campus. While UNT has spots that are pleasant, I still feel like the campus leaves much to be desired. 

I am an urban planning student here at UNT and I have been gathering feedback on a proposed movement that I am trying to implement here on campus. I understand not all of these reactions will be positive, but I would love to hear your thoughts on my idea. Here it is...

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 5.01.13 PM.png

I am not old enough to join the rest of the crowd in reminiscing about how ugly the campus was in my day, so regarding your actual post, I love the idea. Would be really interested in seeing what other ideas you'd have for the campus, and Mean Green Village.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I think a building that could be torn down (don't know what it called) but it located across from Maple hall next to the music building.  It looks a elementary School building.

That's exactly what it was - the Lab school building.  Remember, we started as a teachers college.

I think part of it was torn down for the music building expansion in the 70s.  I'm amazed that the space has never been re-used, for a new building. I guess they still use the building somehow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

Leaning a lot of you don't appreciate brutalist architecture and while it's not surprising it still hurts a little.

I like brutalist architecture, my complaint with campus is more of the massive parking lots and huge streets slicing through it. I mean, it gives it that faceless Dallas appeal, of parking lots that extend for miles, though.

Edited by Coach Mac Andy
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/7/2022 at 3:04 PM, gordo nation said:

UNT is in serious need of campus beautification. Whether it's the streets that tear through the core of campus, or the lack of creativity and beauty given to the car centric, sprawled out landscape, I feel that most in the UNT community could get behind some sort of beautification project here at UNT. Before you think I am crazy, look at the University of Louisville. They were able to take a hideous campus surrounded by major manufacturing plants, and turn it into a lively, beautiful, and desirable campus. Students nowadays make their first impression on the beauty of a college's campus. While UNT has spots that are pleasant, I still feel like the campus leaves much to be desired. 

I am an urban planning student here at UNT and I have been gathering feedback on a proposed movement that I am trying to implement here on campus. I understand not all of these reactions will be positive, but I would love to hear your thoughts on my idea. Here it is...

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 5.01.13 PM.png

Turning Highland into a pedestrian walkway means Maple will have to become a two-way street. Given that there are four resident halls along Maple this does not seem like a good idea.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I haven't been on UTEP campus in years but the top picture the two story building is or was the the student union building. The second picture looks like a different place on campus.  No students could park in the upper parking lot.

Same area, different angles

 

image.png.946bd3cdd06850860037b363ec962135.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.