If Seth beats UAB on the road should he be extended?

cousin oliver

If Seth beats UAB on the road should he be extended?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. If Seth beats UAB on the road should he be extended?

• Yes
    • No

If we win @ UAB, we are all but assured a rematch in San Antonio, unless Rice wins @ WKU, vs. UTSA, and beats us in Denton.  I don't think there is any lack of motivation for us playing full tilt towards that rematch in the C-USA championship.  And you heard it here first, but when two teams are evenly matched, it always hard to beat someone twice in one season.    A rematch with UTSA will undoubtedly be a heavy weight fight but it's one that I look forward to.  

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, StealthEagle84 said:

If we win @ UAB, we are all but assured a rematch in San Antonio, unless Rice wins @ WKU, vs. UTSA, and beats us in Denton.  I don't think there is any lack of motivation for us playing full tilt towards that rematch in the C-USA championship.  And you heard it here first, but when two teams are evenly matched, it always hard to beat someone twice in one season.    A rematch with UTSA will undoubtedly be a heavy weight fight but it's one that I look forward to.  

Even if we lose @ UAB, we have to beat Rice to be in the conference championship game. We will own all the tie-breakers. 
  (Unless CUSA has unconventional          tie-breakers)

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

OMG, can we quit with this?

Enjoy the season.  Let the people that make this decision actually make this decision.

No…we make the decision.  We have a say!  And the 33% keep to 66% fire poll above says we aren’t happy beating crappy teams and losing to most teams we play who have a record above .500.  Let’s let the season play out, but if there isn’t a new trophy in the case in December, Seth rides off into the FW sunset to help Sonny!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

4 minutes ago, 2020 Sucks said:

No…we make the decision.  We have a say!  And the 33% keep to 66% fire poll above says we aren’t happy beating crappy teams and losing to most teams we play who have a record above .500.  Let’s let the season play out, but if there isn’t a new trophy in the case in December, Seth rides off into the FW sunset to help Sonny!

That is not what the poll says. It asks if he should be extended for beating UAB. I’m not ready to fire him but still voted no because an extension would be premature with 3-4 games left to play.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT86 said:

For some of you, it is ALL you do.

Some act like we’re the Notre Dame of the Southwest & every “interested in the UNT job” coach overlooks what some see us as & that’s a coach’s final stop before they start selling insurance.  

I think present UNT leadership at the   very top makes the UNT job, location, a future 50,000 student enrollment (which will one day actually be a cash cow advantage);  our facilities & available money; anyway all that makes for what could be a cushy job in Denton, but at some point we have to have results by someone who (in deed) makes UNT a dream job. Meanwhile, 22K at a Homecoming game has to be addressed.  Oh! I see! That’s all about us—the fans. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Seth needs to win out to get extended.  Conference championship and bowl game included.

I think most of us agree this should be the standard, but I think we also fear it will take less than this to see an extension, even if just a short one.

Honestly, a conference championship appearance will probably be all it requires.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

Kind of sad this is up for debate. Some of us have a very low bar our program that most of the teams leaving CUSA have exceeded.  Every team coming with us to AAC have won a CUSA championship except Charolette.   Rice should not even count as a small private elite academic institution that views sports as purely extracurricular and not of great importance to the reputation of the university 0.500 for them is the realistic goal.  Rice has a CUSA title.  Charolette is new to FBS football and undefeated against Seth led Mean Green teams.  I appreciate that someone is so passionate about our program that they want to create a topic out of speculation of a mediocre coach.   But this speculation in a public forum isn’t good for the reputation of our program imo.  A minuscule minor negative impact but none the less still negative.  I think the speculation is just as misplaced as the discussing Aune’s NFL potential.  Bottom line if I thought Seth maxed out this program’s potential or even got us 85% of it I couldn't spend money on it like I do. Maximum Seth should get is 2 years tacked on the end of his current contract with 5-10% raise each year to keep up with inflation, if the team wins all rest of their games this season.  I heard a cautionary tale directed at Mean Green fans, featuring Texas Tech and Mike Leach.   There is no comparison because team😨 Leach had them in the cusp of getting into the playoff.  We have to do better

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

I voted yes, just because it feels like beating Rice would be a given if we beat UAB. That might end up being a foolish assumption. 

I am less inclined than others to make a conference championship or bowl game win mandatory. 1) UTSA is better than us so it feels anti-intellectual to feel that way but also deem it a must win. 2) Bowl game results don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. 

Edited by Pellom
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Pellom said:

I voted yes, just because it feels like beating Rice would be a given if we beat UAB. That might end up being a foolish assumption. 

I am less inclined than others to make a conference championship or bowl game win mandatory. 1) UTSA is better than us so it feels anti-intellectual to feel that way but also deem it a must win. 2) Bowl game results don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. 

Sure they do. It's another opportunity against a quality OOC opponent. Sure winning conference is more important, but we need to be able to compete and win against our nonconference peers as well. It also matters in recruiting. Players get to travel more, it shows you're committed to winning trophies(however trivial they may be, they still count for something), and it shows you're on an upward trajectory.