Here we go again? Conference Changes?

El Paso Eagle

4 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

I don't see how UA, ASU, CO, and Utah stay with the release of how much the Big12 are going to be making (assuming the Big12 wants them.) I think the payout is going to be $50m per school, surprisingly going up even after OU and UT left. The MW or the Pac12 might fall apart if this news is true. Look for the AAC to poach some of those teams like Air Force/Colorado state if things start to move quickly. 

I think a big part of these new media rights $$ is schools signing over Grant of Rights for the duration of that contract to prevent them from moving.   There will be some consideration from the 4-corner PAC schools about leaving before they sign off on that.

The PAC has more assets and media name value than the MWC.   I would expect the PAC to remain in some form, but the MWC may look more like the Big West in a couple years.

Edited by NT80

I don't believe that the USC-UCLA move has been totally approved.  USC is a private school and I believe that their Board of Regents equivalent has already approved their move.  However,  as I understand it the UCLA move is not official yet.  The hangup is there is a common Board for Cal-Berkeley and UCLA and the members would like to keep them in the same conference.  It could be that whatever UCLA gains by going to B1G, Cal loses if they stay in the Pac-12.  

I'm fed up with the power conferences monopolizing TV money.  Just my opinion but I think that no conference should have more than 16 teams; preferably 14.  At least the AAC are in better shape than the other G5s thanks to Commissioner Aresco.  We won't share to same extent as the current members that are staying but in the long run we will.  I believe that Mike Aresco was clever in that he chose major markets for the expansion.  ESPN and CBS will be a pleasure after Stadium and other lesser networks.  I feel badly for LaTech but maybe we can schedule them every other year or so.

• Upvote 3

Maybe the NCAA should give each conference the same amount of money.  The big guys have bloated budgets.  I think some of them are hiring special assistants to the water boy now.   I know the P-5 would not go for it and would abandon the NCAA before they would give up a dime

A level playing field makes college football so much more fun.   I am tried of seeing the same teams in the playoffs each year.  It gets old.  I don't think I watched one the playoff games last year.  I just have no interest.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Wish the AAC would form some kind of alliance with the MWC. Even if it was OOC games. I believe it would benefit both and may help on broadcasting $$.

I wish all G5s would understand where they stand and work together like this. I think the days of needing multiple paydays are ending for most programs. I like the idea of G5 conference challenges like they do in basketball.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Maybe the NCAA should give each conference the same amount of money.  The big guys have bloated budgets.  I think some of them are hiring special assistants to the water boy now.   I know the P-5 would not go for it and would abandon the NCAA before they would give up a dime

A level playing field makes college football so much more fun.   I am tried of seeing the same teams in the playoffs each year.  It gets old.  I don't think I watched one the playoff games last year.  I just have no interest.

Cinderella teams and over-achieving underdogs is what makes the NCAA Tourney so fun to watch.  

• Upvote 2

My fear is that with all the FCS teams moving up to fill out the G5 conferences, FBS is getting far too crowded.    There almost has to be a split coming and then we could find ourselves back in an official 2nd tier with it's own bowl system and/or championship.     

A Couple of weeks ago Kennesaw State had an attendance < 4,000.    I am so glad we are leaving CUSA.   Kennesaw State, Jacksonville State and Sam Houston ?   Wow.    If we were stuck in CUSA next year, it would seem like the old D1AA days.

• Upvote 7

11 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Saying that USC and UCLA are the only two schools to bolt, and SDSU is invited, would the Pac 12 prefer SJSU or UNLV? The Rebels would add a new market that professional leagues have been obsessed with.

The SF Bay area is already covered for the PAC with Cal and Stanford.  Las Vegas is a fast growing metro area.  UNLV has good basketball history and now UNLV football plays in the new Raider's stadium = PAC size.  They would be a good pick for many reasons.

7 hours ago, NT80 said:

The SF Bay area is already covered for the PAC with Cal and Stanford.  Las Vegas is a fast growing metro area.  UNLV has good basketball history and now UNLV football plays in the new Raider's stadium = PAC size.  They would be a good pick for many reasons.

... that's the scuttlebutt though.     Stanford, Cal, Oregon & Washington are all rumored to be the next B1G defectors to go along with UCLA & USC.    So the PAC12 would go from having 4 big schools to having 0.

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

... that's the scuttlebutt though.     Stanford, Cal, Oregon & Washington are all rumored to be the next B1G defectors to go along with UCLA & USC.    So the PAC12 would go from having 4 big schools to having 0.

I could see UCLA and USC pushing for that too.  It would create a west coast division and solve a lot of issues about them leaving (take the complainers with us!).  

Then AZ, AZ State, Colo, and Utah would bolt to the Big12.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

I could see UCLA and USC pushing for that too.  It would create a west coast division and solve a lot of issues about them leaving (take the complainers with us!).  

Then AZ, AZ State, Colo, and Utah would bolt to the Big12.  

I'm fairly certain that this has been the B1G's plan all the time...they cam just take their time and make the other 4 schools take a lesser deal, if they want to.

And, yes, the Four Corner schools would be a huge pickup for the Big 12. Never imagined in my life that the Big 12 would be the league to survive and thrive over the Pac-12. But if they get those 4, and add in Gonzaga for hoops, as was previously mentioned, that league becomes THE premier league for hoops.

• Upvote 1

On 11/8/2022 at 12:48 PM, Matt from A700 said:

Saying that USC and UCLA are the only two schools to bolt, and SDSU is invited, would the Pac 12 prefer SJSU or UNLV? The Rebels would add a new market that professional leagues have been obsessed with.

I was reading from a California columnist that covers the Pac 12. Someone asked him the same question. He wrote no. The Pac evaluates based on athletics, academics and then market size. SDSU checks all the boxes including being the 27th media market. UNLV has meh athletics, poor academics and they are in the 40th media market. 

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

I was reading from a California columnist that covers the Pac 12. Someone asked him the same question. He wrote no. The Pac evaluates based on athletics, academics and then market size. SDSU checks all the boxes including being the 27th media market. UNLV has meh athletics, poor academics and they are in the 40th media market. 

I was comparing San Jose State versus UNLV, because I assume the league wouldn't stay at an odd number of schools.

8 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

They can be choosy only if they have choices.  Besides SDSU not much left out west.  I really can't see them offering Smut over UNLV, mostly because of cost for travel has to be a consideration vs some of those "wish" factors.