Upon further review: St. Mary's College Gaels MBB roster

NT80

Our second game of the season is Sunday Nov 13 at St. Mary's College in Moraga, Ca.

It is a small, private Catholic college with high academics but total enrollment of only about 4,000.

They finished 26-8 last year and were a #5 seed, losing to UCLA in the second round of the NCAA Tourney.

SMC holds a 2-0 all-time record against NT.   Their gym is a 3,500-seat multi-purpose arena.

The amazing thing to me is the size of players on their roster. 

It has to be the tallest roster I've ever seen for a college team....

https://smcgaels.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster?path=mbball

Yes it will.

List of teams they beat last year:

PVAMU 87-68

TX Southern 67-58

Oregon 62-50

San Francisco 72-70 & 69-64

BYU 69-64

Gonzaga 67-57

NCAA Tournament:

Beat Indiana 82-53

Lost to UCLA 72-56

Teams that beat them:

Wisconsin 61-55

CO St. 74-58

SDSU 63-53

BYU 52-43

Santa Clara 77-72

Gonzaga 74-58 & 82-69

UCLA noted above.

Great test, but not unbeatable.  Would be a fantastic victory on the road.

I wish St. Mary's wasn't so far from Los Angeles.  They play in a tiny gym, but it's a great home court advantage.  The Gaels are shown in the ESPN/Fox Sports rotation a lot out here with some other WCC schools (like Gonzaga obviously, but also BYU USF, etc.).  I mean they probably are in Texas as well, but it'd be REALLY late there by the time they'd usually air.

I watched several of their games last year. It'll be a tough game but like others have said, not unbeatable. If I'm not mistaken, they've lost 2 of their double digit scorers from last year. Their guard Logan Johnson is going to be tough. Very good player, makes good decisions, he pushes the ball up the court if you fall asleep, they're all active defensively. I think taking him out of the game will be key to winning. They lost Kuhse who was their other starting guard so I'm curious as to who will replace him. Kuhse was a 3 year starter and spent 5 or 6 seasons at St Mary's. In big games, those two would go entire games without sitting so whoever replaces Kuhse has big shoes to fill. Ducas is the other veteran to look out for at the 3. Leading 3 point shooter last year for St Mary's.

9 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Winner !!! Ding, ding, ding !!

The Gaels are an ethnolinguistic (whew) group native to the British Isles.  They are associated with the Gaelic languages, a branch of the Celtic languages Irish, Manx (?) and Scottish Gaelic.

GMG posters are so smart.

You've got Britton in France and also Galicia in Spain as well. Western Europe was called Gaule by the Romans with France originally retaining the name and the people being called Gaulois. There's a popular French comic called Asterix & Obelix set in that historical time.

All unrelated to this but I've got family from Brittany in France but haven't been since I was a teen. If you're ever touring western Europe during the summer and interested in Celtic history, check out the Interceltique Festival of Lorient (celtic name An Orient). Representative marching bands and dance groups from the Celtic nations attend, as well as more recently established Irish communities from Australia and Argentina, and it's pretty awesome. There's big music competitions, impromptu concerts and marching band competitions in the streets, drinking, eating, and just a great time. Every year has a featured Celtic nation.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1