UNT @ UAB

TheColonyEagle

On 11/9/2022 at 2:29 PM, Harry said:

We could lose to UAB and then Rice lose this week and next and we still clinch on the bye.

This isn’t correct. If we lose on Saturday we cannot clinch on the bye week. 
If WKU beats Rice and we lose to UAB then WKU could clinch a spot in the championship with a win over FAU and a UNT loss to Rice in the final week. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

This isn’t correct. If we lose on Saturday we cannot clinch on the bye week. 
If WKU beats Rice and we lose to UAB then WKU could clinch a spot in the championship with a win over FAU and a UNT loss to Rice in the final week. 

I didn't spend too much time on this, but of the teams currently sitting at 2 or fewer loses(UTSA 0, UNT 1, WKU 2, FAU 2 and Rice 2), I believe only UNT, UTSA and Rice control their own destinies.  I haven't considered a scenario with a two or three loss UTSA and a bunch of 3 loss teams - too many permutations.  Heck, I've probably messed up even the simple scenario below.

UTSA (5-0) remaining games with LaTech, Rice and UTEP - win at least 1 of three finishing at 6-2, 7-1 or 8-0 (winning out).  If UTSA loses 2 and one is Rice and Rice wins out then UTSA and Rice finish at 6-2 with Rice owning the tie break.  Championship game at Rice.

UNT (5-1) remaining games with UAB, Rice - Win both and finish at 7-1.  Lose to UAB and beat Rice finishing at 6-2 owning tie break over any other team that could also finish 6-2.  Beat UAB but lose to Rice and Rice wins other two games, then UNT and Rice both finish 6-2, but Rice owns the head-to-head tie breaker.

Rice (3-2) remaining games with WKU, UTSA, UNT - Must win out finishing 6-2 eliminating 3 loss WKU and owning tiebreaker over UNT.

WKU (4-2) remaining games with Rice, FAU - Must win out finishing 6-2 eliminating 3 loss Rice and 3 loss FAU.  Needs help from both UAB and Rice dropping UNT to 5-3 as UNT would have the tie break over WKU if both are 6-2.

FAU (3-2) remaining games against FIU, MTSU, WKU - Must win out finishing 6-2 eliminating 3 loss WKU and avoiding a third loss themselves.  Needs help from both UAB and Rice dropping UNT to 5-3 as UNT would have tie break over FAU if both are 6-2.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2022 at 11:07 AM, keith said:

I didn't spend too much time on this, but of the teams currently sitting at 2 or fewer loses(UTSA 0, UNT 1, WKU 2, FAU 2 and Rice 2), I believe only UNT, UTSA and Rice control their own destinies.  I haven't considered a scenario with a two or three loss UTSA and a bunch of 3 loss teams - too many permutations.  Heck, I've probably messed up even the simple scenario below.

UTSA (5-0) remaining games with LaTech, Rice and UTEP - win at least 1 of three finishing at 6-2, 7-1 or 8-0 (winning out).  If UTSA loses 2 and one is Rice and Rice wins out then UTSA and Rice finish at 6-2 with Rice owning the tie break.  Championship game at Rice.

UNT (5-1) remaining games with UAB, Rice - Win both and finish at 7-1.  Lose to UAB and beat Rice finishing at 6-2 owning tie break over any other team that could also finish 6-2.  Beat UAB but lose to Rice and Rice wins other two games, then UNT and Rice both finish 6-2, but Rice owns the head-to-head tie breaker.

Rice (3-2) remaining games with WKU, UTSA, UNT - Must win out finishing 6-2 eliminating 3 loss WKU and owning tiebreaker over UNT.

WKU (4-2) remaining games with Rice, FAU - Must win out finishing 6-2 eliminating 3 loss Rice and 3 loss FAU.  Needs help from both UAB and Rice dropping UNT to 5-3 as UNT would have the tie break over WKU if both are 6-2.

FAU (3-2) remaining games against FIU, MTSU, WKU - Must win out finishing 6-2 eliminating 3 loss WKU and avoiding a third loss themselves.  Needs help from both UAB and Rice dropping UNT to 5-3 as UNT would have tie break over FAU if both are 6-2.

Thanks for pulling all that together. Wish there were a website that did this automatically.

One more (unlikely) scenario is if UTSA drops there final 3 and finish 5-3. Then UTSA is probably out. 

Guess I am hoping that Rice simply eliminates the strongest 2 loss team (WKU) today as I believe WKU easily beats FAU. But then Rice is super motivated to win against UTSA at home & then have a showdown with UNT.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, GreenEggs&Ham™ said:

Thanks for pulling all that together. Wish there were a website that did this automatically.

One more (unlikely) scenario is if UTSA drops there final 3 and finish 5-3. Then UTSA is probably out. 

Guess I am hoping that Rice simply eliminates the strongest 2 loss team (WKU) today as I believe WKU easily beats FAU. But then Rice is super motivated to win against UTSA at home & then have a showdown with UNT.

Reed Smith did something a few days ago.  It’s the 2nd or 3rd article down. Hope this helps.  GMG!

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/North-Texas-defeats-Southern-Nazarene-behind-Ousmane-Huntsberrys-performances-197134830/