RIP Bill Brashier

Coach Andy Mac

image.jpeg
Brashier was born in Eastland, Texas, on May 30, 1929. Following a highly-successful high school career, Brashier was a three-year starter at North Texas as a defensive back, quarterback and punter (1949-51). He collected 10 interceptions in 1951 and had 19 career thefts. Both are school records that still stand. He earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees from North Texas.

read more: https://cbs2iowa.com/amp/news/local/former-university-of-iowa-assistant-football-coach-bill-brashier-passes-away

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

When Hayden Fry left for Iowa, he recommended Brashier be given consideration as his replacement. The administration (who at this point hated Hayden Fry) responded that Brashier can "get in line and apply for the job like anyone else".  He instead took the job of DB coach and eventually DC at Iowa. I think he had some level of success there. 

I remember thinking at the time "you guys have taken the term "petty bureaucracy" to a new low". Although I think they were probably very proud of their pettiness. 

That worked out real well…

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

Bill Brashier

On a staff of legendary coaches, Bill Brashier is unquestionably the most important Iowa assistant ever. And he cemented that status before he'd even gotten to Iowa City. In 1979, Hayden Fry was offered the head coach positions at Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, and Iowa. He asked his staff, including Brashier, where they should go.

"I told my assistants to make up their mind where we're going," Fry said. "Coach (Bill) Brashier said we're going to Iowa. I said Iowa? I don't even know where Iowa's located.

"He said look at this film -every time Iowa made a first down, the whole crowd erupted. I got to thinkin', my gosh, what would happen if we ever scored a touchdown."

Brashier tells the story a bit differently -- he focused on how many people were at a game that the Hawkeyes lost by 40 and imagined what would happen if they could win there -- but regardless of the rationale, it was Brashier who convinced Fry to come to Iowa. The rest has been history.

Brashier reportedly turned down three head coaching position offers in his time at Iowa, remaining as defensive coordinator through the entirety of Fry's tenure. His decision had an unintended consequence: The glass ceiling created by Brashier's stability forced Iowa defensive assistants to move on, eventually creating three highly successful head coaches from those ranks.

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2014/6/20/5823870/the-base-of-the-tree-hayden-frys-1983-coaching-staff

83-staff.0.1403562434.0.jpg

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

When Hayden Fry left for Iowa, he recommended Brashier be given consideration as his replacement. The administration (who at this point hated Hayden Fry) responded that Brashier can "get in line and apply for the job like anyone else".  He instead took the job of DB coach and eventually DC at Iowa. I think he had some level of success there. 

I remember thinking at the time "you guys have taken the term "petty bureaucracy" to a new low". Although I think they were probably very proud of their pettiness. 

There is so much to overcome at UNT. I spoke with Rick McKinney yesterday about his fights with our own Administration over things like the NT Battle Flag supposedly being illegal to fly. The maintenance of Boomer, the tower not being lit with away game victories. It just seems to go on and on and why is that? Is there no one in our administration that gives a $&!t about our traditions and spirit? And what's up with the Talons? That's their responsibility! Why is it that Rick, Emmitt and others have to be the watchdogs for such things? Its pathetic what's going on at our university, or an I wrong?

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

I recall, after Fry decided to move on and take the staff with him, I was speaking with Bill Braisher.  I said something like, “Iowa State !  What a great opportunity.”  

Coach Brashier sort of rolled his eyes and said, “Not Iowa State.  IOWA !”

I’m not sure I knew where Iowa was either.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, ttunt1970 said:

Coach was GREAT  Coach but a better person and GENTLEMAN!!

Yes.  I talked with Coach Fry when he came back to North Texas to receive an honor for both him and Coach Blakeley several years ago.

He was so cordial and generous of his time to fans.  He appreciated his time at North Texas as much as we fans appreciated him being here.  He got a raw deal at Smut before coming to NT and we gave him a fresh start.  I believe Coach Fry was always very fond of North Texas for doing that.  He was proud of how he turned our program around and showed us some of it's potential.  He was just here too early, before our athletic facilities and conference evolution.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

There is so much to overcome at UNT. I spoke with Rick McKinney yesterday about his fights with our own Administration over things like the NT Battle Flag supposedly being illegal to fly. The maintenance of Boomer, the tower not being lit with away game victories. It just seems to go on and on and why is that? Is there no one in our administration that gives a $&!t about our traditions and spirit? And what's up with the Talons? That's their responsibility! Why is it that Rick, Emmitt and others have to be the watchdogs for such things? Its pathetic what's going on at our university, or an I wrong?

We are Alumni, and care about such traditions.  Administration usually is not, and doesn't, they are just here because of the salary.  $$ doesn't buy loyalty or make anyone care about traditions.   Now as for the students and organizations slacking....that's just giving no effort and being lazy!

• Upvote 2

Brashier, who passed away Friday at the age of 93, came with Fry from North Texas in December of 1978. He will be remembered as a wonderful man and an unassuming but brilliant defensive tactician in his 17 seasons at Iowa. And yet his career could have gone in a totally different direction after Fry left North Texas.

Bill Snyder, Carl Jackson, Colvis Hale, Howard Cissell and Bob Lee, who were all on Fry’s staff at North Texas, joined him at Iowa two days later. But it didn’t look like Brashier would join them.

He was the leading candidate to succeed Fry.

“He was my defensive coordinator, and selfishly, I hope he doesn’t get it,” Fry said.

But Brashier was a popular candidate to succeed Fry in Denton. The players petitioned Jeeter Nolen, the university president, to hire him. The school’s athletic council approved his hiring unanimously. So did Nolen.

But the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported that the board of regents had decided to wait until a new athletic director was hired before naming a coach. Fry had also been the school’s A.D.

So Brashier sent this statement to Dr. John Carrell, the chairman of the athletic board at North Texas:

“If the board of regents cannot concur with the unanimous endorsement of the athletic council, the president and the vice president, then I am no longer a candidate for the position.”

And off to Iowa City, and the complete unknown, he went. When Fry had first mentioned the Iowa job to Brashier, he was baffled.

“I said, “Where is it at?’ ” Brashier said during a reunion of Fry’s coaching staff in 2018.

READ MORE:  https://www.si.com/college/iowa/football/bill-brashier-helped-hayden-fry-rebuild-hawkeyes

• Upvote 3