North Texas still holds NCAA FBS record; Smut vs UH a close second

NT80

"SMU quarterback Tanner Mordecai tossed nine touchdown passes to lead the Mustangs to a 77-63 win against Houston, in the highest scoring regulation game in FBS history.  The combined point total of 140 breaks the previous record of 137, which came in 2016 when Pittsburgh defeated Syracuse, 76-61.

SMU and Houston traded touchdowns for the first seven possessions of the game and the Mustangs led 56-35 at halftime. That first-half total (91 points) was three points off the single-half record set by Navy and North Texas in 2007."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34960476/smu-houston-set-record-most-points-fbs-regulation-game

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I saw the Navy-NT game and there was very little defense.   However, I don't think it was as bad as UH vs SMU.  NT could not stop Navy's run attack and Navy could not stop NT passing. 

Nether UH or SMU seemed to be able to stop anything.  

I was also at that UNT-Navy game.  It was a lot of fun for awhile.  Fortunately, the Navy vets around me were good guys. 

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I saw the Navy-NT game and there was very little defense.   However, I don't think it was as bad as UH vs SMU.  NT could not stop Navy's run attack and Navy could not stop NT passing. 

Nether UH or SMU seemed to be able to stop anything.  

Ha!  I was in Denton, too. It was a straight up video game!

• Upvote 1

I too was at that game. I remember we won the toss, and instead of "deferring", we took the ball. After we took it down and scored (no body was surprised) we THEN did an on-side kick and recovered it. We then took it down and scored again. It was then that I turned to the person next to me and said, "Holy Crap! Dodge just made a statement about his defense". And the statement was "we can't stop Navy, so we have to get as far ahead of them early in the game as we can".     

Trouble was, Navy eventually figured out how to stop us a couple of times, and that was the difference in the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Trouble was, Navy eventually figured out how to stop us a couple of times, and that was the difference in the game.

If you remember, Dodge did an onsides kick early in the game, probably thinking that the only way he could win was if he could get more than one touchdown ahead, because the defense wasn't going to be able to stop Navy.

I don't remember if the onsides kick was successful.

Edited by Stix
Fix typo
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

38 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

The's a pretty strange coincidence. The homecoming game pic I posted in the FIU game thread was the game right before this Navy game. I remember we had a really big crowd, which was surprising since we lost that homecoming game and were 1-7. 

A6E37709-885C-4455-8BF3-A8DCFE8B7889.jpeg.6ab7c583dcb363dab96b3e01f357d098.jpeg

5E2C6BCC-D543-4175-B755-1F0C5CF00D8B.jpeg.3ace83b7d2fa2eecd02766088a54625d.jpeg

100% better crowd than Saturday. And every measuring variable was far more significant this past Saturday. 

• Upvote 2

Navy was the type of Quality opponent we have trouble luring to Denton.  There was a Navy Fly-Over too if I remember and a lot of excitement hosting them at Fouts.  I wish we had more of those type opponents at Apogee and maybe an uptick in scheduling within the AAC will help our OOC schedule too!

• Upvote 2

• Harry featured this topic