Aune Moves Into 4th Place - Career TD Passes

BillySee58

2 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Austin Aune beat Florida international yesterday while throwing one of his two interceptions directly to their defender on a play that should have been a pick six.  Jason Bean, meanwhile, beat the number 18 team in the country with no interceptions. I’m not sure what video you’d like to trot out to show the distinction between the two, but I will wait with bated breath on something compelling other than just I’m a “hater.”

The point is you qualify any of Aune’s success as being due to bad opponent or receiver play when you don’t do that for others, with the Bean case being a perfect example. In a situation where Bean did the exact thing you did to minimize Aune’s success (60 yard YAC), you didn’t do it with Bean. You made a comment about people not having a throw to bitch about, instead of qualifying the success of the TD pass with 60 yards of YAC like you do with Aune. That’s the definition of being inconsistent. 

And again, if you have something to back up the claim that Aune is some beneficiary of abnormal YAC that other QBs don’t have, would love to see it. 

• Upvote 3

For all the success AA has those interceptions take the luster off him. Two yesterday of which one turned out to be a "pick 6"...fourth this season. (5 actually)

Interceptions under normal circumstances aren't the foundation of Championships. Maybe his supporting staff can pull him through.

For all the down votes...I know...the truth sometimes hurts.

Edited by RBP79
  • Downvote 3

Austin Aune is playing great right now. He completed 73% of his passes yesterday, had 5 touchdowns in a half, passed for 414 yards and averaged more yards per reception than he had in leading the nation in the stat up to this game. He is a QB that makes mistakes sometimes. That happens to a lot of QB's from what I understand. Regardless, the TEAM is winning and they are fun to watch. 

One of my favorite plays in the game was the second play of the 4Q. A false start on the first play gives NT a first and 15 at our 39. Aune appeared to attempt a handoff to Farrar. Farrar isn't ready and on the broken play, Aune gains 12 with some nice moves in traffic. Simply a miscommunication with the new running back and the experienced QB turns it into a nice play.

Consider enjoying this little streak of fun outcomes and suspend the obsessed focus on what is wrong with the program. This could be something special and the constant bitching around blowout wins isn't becoming.

(for fair balance, I would swear Austin has five pick 6's. I recall four in three games...hated all four of them)

But, 

GMG

• Upvote 4

On 11/5/2022 at 7:35 PM, BillySee58 said:

Aune now has 51 career TD passes, passing Scott Hall (50) for 4th place. All-time school TD pass list is as follows:

1. 93 - Fine

2. 69 - Ramsey

3. 67 - Maher

4. 51 - AUNE

Aune is also zeroing in on the school single-season TD pass mark. The single-season TD pass list is as follows:

1. 31 - Fine (2017)

2. 29 - Fine (2019)

3. 28 - AUNE (2022)

Fine would have destroyed every opponent and have cemented records if he had the line that Aune has now.

That said, f it, break the single season record Aune. You're going to have to win the conference. Get it done. I'm not happy about it, but get it done.

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, untcampbell said:

Austin Aune is playing great right now. He completed 73% of his passes yesterday, had 5 touchdowns in a half, passed for 414 yards and averaged more yards per reception than he had in leading the nation in the stat up to this game.

Against one of the worst teams in the FBS.

10 hours ago, untcampbell said:

He is a QB that makes mistakes sometimes.

The first interception was a mistake on both Aune and the receiver. The second was a travesty of stupidity.

Criticism aside, Aune has played really good ball the past two weeks minus the thrown right to the defender INT this week. I hope he keeps it up and rides this momentum. He has passed some really good deep balls (heh), especially compared to last year. If you go back and look at my criticism from last year, it was inaccuracy on deep throws. He didn't' seem to have it earlier this season but he seems to be on the same page as the receivers now. Let's keep it up. I hope he tears up UAB.

Yes I know I said I don't want to see him on the field again. I was being dramatic, sue me.

• Downvote 2

My goodness.  Are we incapable of winning a game and enjoying it without picking SL and AA apart?  We know what we have with both and both have performed well the past couple of weeks.  Only UNT fans would find something to bitch about after a game where the QB went:

25-34 for 414 yards and 5 TD's w/ 2 Ints.

I am thankful we aren't FIU.  James, their QB, end up with a QBR of 10.6 and average 3.7 yards per completion.

• Upvote 5

15 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

The first interception was a mistake on both Aune and the receiver. The second was a travesty of stupidity.

Saw Brady throw one right into the hands of a defensive lineman yesterday.  Like he didn't even see him!  If the guy didn't have stones for hands, it would have been a pick-6.  It's not like this has never happened before even for the GOAT.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

If he leads us to a conference championship, he'll be inducted into the Hall of Fame in a few years. 

*This is not a joke

He would almost assuredly hold the record for single-season TD passes, be 3rd or 4th in career passing yards, 4th in career TD passes, 2nd in 300-yard passing performances, and he currently has the highest QB rating in school history as well as highest yards per attempt and completion.

Not sure how you could induct Thompson but not Austin Aune, if he has a conference championship (which Thompson does not) and better stats.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

He would almost assuredly hold the record for single-season TD passes, be 3rd or 4th in career passing yards, 4th in career TD passes, 2nd in 300-yard passing performances, and he currently has the highest QB rating in school history as well as highest yards per attempt and completion.

Not sure how you could induct Thompson but not Austin Aune, if he has a conference championship (which Thompson does not) and better stats.

If we win the conference, he’s a shoo-in.  I’d like to see the standards raised, but he’d deserve it based on current criteria.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, NT93 said:

If we win the conference, he’s a shoo-in.  I’d like to see the standards raised, but he’d deserve it based on current criteria.

I agree our standards are too low. IMO, for a player to be inducted into the HoF they need at least 1 all conference team.  If a player wasn’t one of the best at their position while playing they don’t deserve to be inducted. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

10 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I agree our standards are too low. IMO, for a player to be inducted into the HoF they need at least 1 all conference team.  If a player wasn’t one of the best at their position while playing they don’t deserve to be inducted. 

I agree with this as well. I said the same thing around the discussion of if Thompson should get in. This criteria was clearly not deemed necessary then, but I also wish that was the standard.

Glad for Thompson that he got in, and I get sometimes QB can be a hard position to get all-conference if there are two really good ones, but it seems a little lacking for a player to make the Hall of Fame while not even being one of the best in the conference at their position.

• Upvote 3