Aune Moves Into 4th Place - Career TD Passes

BillySee58

38 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Aune now has 51 career TD passes, passing Scott Hall (50) for 4th place. All-time school TD pass list is as follows:

1. 93 - Fine

2. 69 - Ramsey

3. 67 - Maher

4. 51 - AUNE

Aune is also zeroing in on the school single-season TD pass mark. The single-season TD pass list is as follows:

1. 31 - Fine (2017)

2. 29 - Fine (2019)

3. 28 - AUNE (2022)

And 10% of them literally came today vs a community college level of team. 

I'm not a huge anti-Aune person. He's playing decently. He also has to have double digit picks by now. And that 55% isn't getting me giddy. 

My problem in regards to QB play isn't Aune, but the almost decade of Seth Littrell mismanaging QB2. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 14

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Was that the best half performance ever by a UNT quarterback?

380+ yards, 5 TDs, 2 TDs, 2 INTs

Take away the INTs, and it would have to be a near lock, right?
Even with the INTs, it's in the discussion, right?

Vizza had 7 TD passes in the first half against Navy in 2007. The game we infamously lost 74-62.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

Vizza had 7 TD passes in the first half against Navy in 2007. The game we infamously lost 74-62.

Oh man, how could I forget that.  I was there, on the deck.

I think my subconscious has chosen to block it out.  The rumor mill after-the-fact was, Todge was telling Vizza (a frosh!) that we needed him to get to 9 for us to win.

Worst defense I think I've ever seen, at least in person.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

If anyone else was a CFB fan back then, you might remember it was a pretty high scoring stretch of games.

From the game recap:

Since the NCAA starting keeping records in 1937, four of the five highest-scoring college football games ever have taken place over the last month, including two of the games took place Saturday.

Highest combined scoring games since start of NCAA records (1937)

Date

Results

Combined points

11/10/07

Hartwick 72, Utica 70, 4 OT

142***

10/27/07

Weber St. 73, Portland St. 68

141*

11/10/07

Navy 74, North Texas 62

10/14/07

Boise St. 69, Nevada 67, 4OT

11/12/68

North Park 104, North Central 32

136**

* -- FCS; ** -- Division II;
*** -- Division III

I was certainly hoping for a new QB after last year, but he is having a great season overall.  Here is where he ranks in all of college football after yesterday:

#8 in passing yards

#4 in yards per attempt

#3 in touchdowns

#12 in qb rating

His qb rating is about 15 points higher than Mason’s best season.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I'm not defending Aune, but basically ever since the start of the forward pass QBs have been the beneficiary of YAC.

I mean it’s not really defending him to point out that other NCAA leaders in passing statistics also benefit from YAC as well. It’s just part of the game. Acting like other teams don’t scheme high percentage passing plays designed to get the ball to their playmakers in space is disingenuous.

Aune has stepped his game up in the last 5-6 games. It’s undeniable. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, glick1980 said:

I was certainly hoping for a new QB after last year, but he is having a great season overall.  Here is where he ranks in all of college football after yesterday:

#8 in passing yards

#4 in yards per attempt

#3 in touchdowns

#12 in qb rating

His qb rating is about 15 points higher than Mason’s best season.

Yep. At some point you just have to look at what he’s doing and accept it. This is not the same guy and offense that was just handing the ball to the RBs and playing good defense against CUSA last year. I’m enjoying it and hope he can keep it up through the end of the year and bowl season.

• Upvote 3

I just want people to do one thing, and be 100% honest.  Take a look at this list and tell me who you put at QB if we are playing for the survival of our program.  One game, winner take all…we lose and we shut the doors of Apogee.

Somebody, anybody, just tell me that you’d take Aune and I’ll stop pointing out how silly it is to keep having these “he’s closing in on being an all-time great” discussions that Vito is trolling us with. 

1. Fine

2. Ramsey

3. Maher

4. AUNE

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

17 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

He has been blessed with receivers who take 20 yard passes and turn them into 60 yard touchdowns.  There is a LOT of YAC yardage in his numbers.  

7 hours ago, UNTethered Eagle said:

Seriously! Be careful pointing out important details. You’ll get downvoted for that. What can’t you just be happy?! /s 

Is there anything to substantiate the claims that Aune is some benefactor of abnormal YAC stats that other QBs aren’t getting? Otherwise, it’s just hating towards a QB you just never give a fair evaluation of.

With Emmitt for example, in 2020 against UTSA, Bean was having an objectively bad start to the game and people in the thread were giving Bean a hard time. Emmitt was defending him and qualifying the bad play. Then Bean hits Darden on the sideline, Darden makes a man miss and picks up 60 yards of YAC on his way to a TD (clip attached). Emmitt’s response was:

“Anybody wanna bitch about that pass?”

No qualifier about YAC, or how the QB benefitted from a great play by Darden. But with Aune, all of his success gets minimized with qualifiers of receivers, bad defense, etc., and his interceptions get magnified.

This is a good example of what I said last week. People are so dug in on their stances of Littrell, Aune, etc. that the integrity of the arguments against them are generally rooted in inconsistencies or purposely unevenly weighted towards the bad that we can’t get an accurate analysis.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Is there anything to substantiate the claims that Aune is some benefactor of abnormal YAC stats that other QBs aren’t getting? Otherwise, it’s just hating towards a QB you just never give a fair evaluation of.

With Emmitt for example, in 2020 against UTSA, Bean was having an objectively bad start to the game and people in the thread were giving Bean a hard time. Emmitt was defending him and qualifying the bad play. Then Bean hits Darden on the sideline, Darden makes a man miss and picks up 60 yards of YAC on his way to a TD (clip attached). Emmitt’s response was:

“Anybody wanna bitch about that pass?”

No qualifier about YAC, or how the QB benefitted from a great play by Darden. But with Aune, all of his success gets minimized with qualifiers of receivers, bad defense, etc., and his interceptions get magnified.

This is a good example of what I said last week. People are so dug in on their stances of Littrell, Aune, etc. that the integrity of the arguments against them are generally rooted in inconsistencies or purposely unevenly weighted towards the bad that we can’t get an accurate analysis.

Austin Aune beat Florida international yesterday while throwing one of his two interceptions directly to their defender on a play that should have been a pick six.  Jason Bean, meanwhile, beat the number 18 team in the country with no interceptions. I’m not sure what video you’d like to trot out to show the distinction between the two, but I will wait with bated breath on something compelling other than just I’m a “hater.”

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1