Southern Nazarene (11/7/22)

CMJ

20 minutes ago, greenminer said:

This result is not impressive, but has zero impact on our 2023 Sweet 16 run.

Well losing to a D2 opponent pretty much lost all respect for Benford…. What does it do for Mac at home? 

Edited by Andrew
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

I just got home from the game so im sure this has been asked, but,

why did Southern Naz not put their starters back in late in the second half, and

that is the best showing I have ever seen (45 year season ticket holder) from the student section, cheerleaders and dancers.  Great energy.

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Wonder if the 17 called up the Southern Nazarene AD and offered an extra $100k to sit their starters. I'm kidding but it is odd...

Well something happened…. Ironically all the people who for a decade wanted to call out poor basketball play are suddenly silent. I got a few texts and calls about it so at least we aren’t crazy…. Southern threw the game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Well losing to a D2 opponent pretty much lost all respect for Benford…. What does it do for Mac at home? 

I mean it wasn’t impressive at all.  I’ll give you that.

But I stared at the NCAA Round of 32 Banner throughout the game with my free Back to Back Championships towel over my shoulder.  That’s probably the difference for me in a nutshell.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

I mean it wasn’t impressive at all.  I’ll give you that.

But I stared at the NCAA Round of 32 Banner throughout the game with my free Back to Back Championships towel over my shoulder.  That’s probably the difference for me in a nutshell.

I don’t understand. I bleed green. I am there for the highs and the lows… this game screams dirty win and everyone is simply ok with that? I don’t get it. I would have felt better if we lost than be handed the game. We legit lost to a D2 school at home. That’s what this is…. Only we didn’t because they played their bench almost the entirety of the second half. 

Again… if anyone who is throwing negatives at the comments could provide evidence of any college basketball team being up on the road and sitting their starters the second half I would be more than happy to listen…. The evidence is clear and yet people are silent…. It isn’t right. 

-if UNT decides  to sit their starters against St. Mary’s on the road next game and only play their bench in the second half and then end up losing the game you would be completely fine?

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I don’t understand. I bleed green. I am there for the highs and the lows… this game screams dirty win and everyone is simply ok with that? I don’t get it. I would have felt better if we lost than be handed the game. We legit lost to a D2 school at home. That’s what this is…. Only we didn’t because they played their bench almost the entirety of the second half. 

Again… if anyone who is throwing negatives at the comments could provide evidence of any college basketball team being up on the road and sitting their starters the second half I would be more than happy to listen…. The evidence is clear and yet people are silent…. It isn’t right. 

-if UNT decides  to sit their starters against St. Mary’s on the road next game and only play their bench in the second half and then end up losing the game you would be completely fine?

Well, it wouldn't be an exhibition game for us.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I guess I’m not really seeing everyone being cool with the level of play/result of the game in this thread. This game sucked. We’ve got to play better - period. Only positivity of note has been directed towards the Maniacs - and rightfully so. 

It was very bad tonight. Difference in what you’re suggesting with Benford getting roasted vs Mac coached team getting a pass is that I implicitly trust Grant to get this sorted out quickly. He’s a proven winner at every level.  He’s responsible for the best UNT sports memory I have in 26 years following the program.  He’s earned a pass and then some in my book. Sue me.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Well, it wouldn't be an exhibition game for us.

That’s the issue. Would be openly throw an exhibition game to benefit an opponent knowing it wasn’t an exhibition for them? To me that’s wrong. It’s not competitive basketball and it’s doing a disservice to the other team and the game itself. What we saw tonight wasn’t basketball. It was an embarrassment. We shouldn’t have won the game and most people know that. We won because they showed mercy and pulled their starters because they had nothing to lose and we did. Plus I believe the announcers mentioned multiple times our teams/players/coaches had connections from the past. It’s all suspicious. We get a win…. However we should have got a loss and everyone knows that if we lost it would all but do us in for any favorable rank coming seeding time if we won our conference. We received mercy to benefit us later in the season… but cmon you know Cobra Kai…. It’s a sport. No mercy. They should have just finished us off tonight and sent a message to our team that we are going to have to do better. Handing us the game did us no favor. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

7 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

I guess I’m not really seeing everyone being cool with the level of play/result of the game in this thread. This game sucked. We’ve got to play better - period. Only positivity of note has been directed towards the Maniacs - and rightfully so. 

It was very bad tonight. Difference in what you’re suggesting with Benford getting roasted vs Mac coached team getting a pass is that I implicitly trust Grant to get this sorted out quickly. He’s a proven winner at every level.  He’s responsible for the best UNT sports memory I have in 26 years following the program.  He’s earned a pass and then some in my book. Sue me.

I’m all for supporting the team. I rode out Benford and Mac is the best coach I have seen and arguably the best coach in UNT basketball history, but Benford did not get handed a win. He lost outright at least and it was awful. This should have been a loss. I would have understood the loss and moved on,  but what fees like a “dirty win”. That feels worse to me. It doesn’t feel like a win at all. We had to have a D2 team come into our house and play their bench players in order for our team to win. It doesn’t feel right at all. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

That’s the issue. Would be openly throw an exhibition game to benefit an opponent knowing it wasn’t an exhibition for them? To me that’s wrong. It’s not competitive basketball and it’s doing a disservice to the other team and the game itself. What we saw tonight wasn’t basketball. It was an embarrassment. We shouldn’t have won the game and most people know that. We won because they showed mercy and pulled their starters because they had nothing to lose and we did. Plus I believe the announcers mentioned multiple times our teams/players/coaches had connections from the past. It’s all suspicious. We get a win…. However we should have got a loss and everyone knows that if we lost it would all but do us in for any favorable rank coming seeding time if we won our conference. We received mercy to benefit us later in the season… but cmon you know Cobra Kai…. It’s a sport. No mercy. They should have just finished us off tonight and sent a message to our team that we are going to have to do better. Handing us the game did us no favor. 

If true, it needs to be looked into. Seems very wrong in many ways. 

• Upvote 3

SNC did not throw the game, the starters were in and out.  They may have been tried who knows but if they could have  won it they would have.  

We were cold as ice, we had open shots but they didn't fall.  One other thing I noticed in the first half after we shot there were not white jerseys near the basket for a rebound.  They changed that in the second half and that is why we won.

First part of the game I thought I was watching a Benford team with all the mass substitutions.  

Oh yeah thank goodness for Abou he came to play.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

SNC did not throw the game, the starters were in and out.  They may have been tried who knows but if they could have  won it they would have.  

We were cold as ice, we had open shots but they didn't fall.  One other thing I noticed in the first half after we shot there were not white jerseys near the basket for a rebound.  They changed that in the second half and that is why we won.

First part of the game I thought I was watching a Benford team with all the mass substitutions.  

Oh yeah thank goodness for Abou he came to play.

So their starters were tired after only playing 3-4 minutes in the second half. Getting pulled again around the 6:48 mark and then even after a time out at the 1:11 mark when down 4 points still their entire bench (some of which were true freshman) come back into the floor. Y’all are absolutely delusional. If Mac pulled out starters next game and keep them out 80% of the second half y’all would loose your marbles…. But if it benefits us you don’t bat an eye… pathetic. 

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1

Again as I have said before, the only ones who care about this game are us.  No one in CUSA or the country at large gives a damn if we won by 6 or 60.  A loss might have made the news to our detriment though.  So, I don't care if they threw the game - we're the only ones who would know.  Vegas didn't have a line on the game, it's not even gonna end up on our RPI or NET or whatever computer ranking system you want to use because they only factor in D1 games.  It officially counts as a W though, so let's just move on.  There will be no asterisk in the official record books.  It is what it is.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

you really believe SNC through the game??????? really

Remember Tyler and Ruben did not play tonight for us.  

When they are healthy and we are up in the second half and they sit and don’t play again and we lose then get back to me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

So tell why the team purposely lost to us? 

What did they gain from doing it.  Did a bookie pay them to lose the UNT vs SNC game?

Nothing… because they decided to make it an exhibition while the game was not one for us. They don’t get a win or loss… but we do so it mattered for us. Not them. Again… find me a game where a team was up 6 in the second half and decided to sit thier starters. And not just one at a time but pull all 5 of them twice from the game and then never let them return. They legit subbed out all 5 of them  6:47 ish mark and never put them back in. Not a single one…

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

Every season:

Andrew: Why are we doing XYZ? Can't we do 123? THIS IS MADDENING. ruben. tyler

Also Every season:

Grant and Co: wins hardware.  Goes to postseason and wins in the postseason

Every following season:

Andrew: Why are we doing XYZ? Can't we do 123? THIS IS MADDENING.  ruben. tyler

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2