Girls Basketball - First take

UNT86

Harry
This post was recognized by Harry!

"great content"

UNT86 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

Got my first look at the 2022-2023 girls basketball team yesterday.  Here are my thoughts.

Starters:

#0 Quincy - Same as before. Don't give her an open look and yesterday she made some really nice passes

#1 Kendall - She has been in the weight room.  Last year she looked like a high school kid.  This year she has added more muscle and can still move.  She is going to have a really nice year.

#5 Davis - Did not look out of place as a freshman in her first college action.  

#20 Moore - Wow.  She is going to be the best point we have had in a while.  She looks like the real thing.

#24 Lampkin - Seems to have slimmed down a bit.  She moved well and looks like she can carry the minutes inside with Mallard getting healthy.

Bench:

#14 Cleary - Time for her to step up and play more minutes.  She looks like she can.  Her shot was off a little last night, but she has shown in the past that she can score.

#22 Loudermill - got better as the game went along.  She will help off the bench without a big drop-off from the starters.

#35 Johnson - This one worries me a bit.  She did not play well and did not seem to want to be coached.  Lots of body language issues that made me wonder if she has attitude too.   If that doesn't get fixed, she won't be coming off the bench for long.

#12 Boles - My guess is that she continues to play more until Mallard gets back.  She was fine on defense but she gets bounced around a little.  I couldn't tell how much she can contribute on offense.

It was a good start for the girls, but there are a lot of things to clean up on defense.  This was a good one to get on film and I would think most of the mistakes are easily correctable.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

Not sure you can tell much from exhibit games, but SMU beat this club by over 30

It is time for Mitchell to have a team that actually challenges for a championship.  She always seems to recruit well, but has not been close to the top of the league.  Has an ill-advised iMO long term contract awarded at the same time as McCasland's extension for some reason. 

Great players seldom make great coaches.  

Hope for great success for her program, but if this team is not significantly better than any she has had; NT should make a change.   Won't happen, but it should.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

It is time for Mitchell to have a team that actually challenges for a championship.  She always seems to recruit well, but has not been close to the top of the league. 

Had a good season last year, and the year before would have won CUSA outright if they had held on for the final minutes against Rice in Denton. That's close.

Jalie has built a consistent winner, and she represents the university extremely well. IMO her contract is worth every penny.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1

45 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Had a good season last year, and the year before would have won CUSA outright if they had held on for the final minutes against Rice in Denton. That's close.

Jalie has built a consistent winner, and she represents the university extremely well. IMO her contract is worth every penny.

Last year NT was 17-13, 10-7 in CUSA. 2nd in west and 6th overall in CUSA

20-21 NT was 13-7, 10-4 in messed up Covid year; third in West and fourth overall 

So she has been 30-20 over the last 2 years and 20-11 in CUSA 

You are right she has been close, but my point stands it is time to move up or move out

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3