Phil Bennett

MeanGreen2019

I don’t think anything is confirmed.  His initial contract was a guaranteed 2 years (assistants are normally year to year) so I think there’s an assumption that maybe he only planned on 2.  Add the promotion of Gush to Co-DC and I think there’s just expectation that they’re preparing to hand it off.  I hope he’s loving it and would want to stay if we did continue with the current staff.  Wouldn’t be surprised if him staying or leaving was factor into Wren’s decision as well.  

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Coach_1976 said:

Like Backer said it looks that he will retire at the end of the year. Gush will become the DC and Bennett's son Sam will most likely become LB coach. But I would bet my new airplane that CPB will still be there in the shadows.

But I thought Seth was taking a P5 job after running the table the rest of this year?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/4/2022 at 11:07 AM, 97and03 said:

If Gush replaces Bennett, I hope we hire Marcus Trice to coach the safeties. He has a lot of high school coaching experience and would be a recruiting asset. 

And he (Trice) just seems like a great guy that you just want to have around your team.

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 3

I’d love for him to stay as I think he has helped Seth tremendously and I think the defense could improve for next year. UNT did lose 10 players on the defensive side if the ball including two key starters so a regression this years isn’t that surprising. I suspect they’d be around 74th like last year had some of those pieces not left. Unless you’re making some bigger hire, id do what i can to keep him away from retirement

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2022 at 5:03 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

I hate to be the bubble-buster, but if you look at the FBS Defensive stats were ranked very low. Not that PB has not helped, but maybe it would be best to look outside our current coaches if he leaves? 

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22/p3

image.png.45ff8193033bde9a963bdf2726b3ce8e.png

I don’t give a damn about yards. It’s points that matter. That being said we are around 32/33 a game, which isn’t great but in part a product of our offense. We end up with a LOT of short drives, even when they are successful. Defense often does not get much of a breather. Thankfully, the offense has been productive and is #27 at nearly 36 ppg. Defense has been improving considerably the last 5 weeks and on a positive trend. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1