Pre Game Activities VS FIU

gmg147

Hey everyone, 

It's been a while since I have made it out to a game regularly but I'm excited to be going to the Homecoming game this weekend. 

Does anyone have an idea of what activities will be going on prior to Kickoff or can provide me a link to where that info is held? 

I am most interested in the hours of the alumni pavilion and what time the parade will start. 

Thank you! 

• Upvote 5
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, gmg147 said:

Hey everyone, 

It's been a while since I have made it out to a game regularly but I'm excited to be going to the Homecoming game this weekend. 

Does anyone have an idea of what activities will be going on prior to Kickoff or can provide me a link to where that info is held? 

I am most interested in the hours of the alumni pavilion and what time the parade will start. 

Thank you! 

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Who's gonna tell em? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

The Dedication for Unity Plaza should be really cool and its at 1:30pm on Saturday:

North Texas Athletics will unveil and dedicate its new Unity Plaza honoring trailblazers Abner Haynes and Dr. Leon King on Saturday, Nov. 5 at 1:30 pm prior to the homecoming football game.

The event is free and open to the public.

Haynes and King were the first Black players to integrate major college football at a four-year university in Texas. The plaza was constructed adjacent to the UNT Athletic Center and the Lovelace and McNatt Families Practice Facility.

"We are excited to honor the contributions of two icons of our university and the state of Texas in Abner and Leon," Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker said. "This Unity Plaza will be a focal point of our athletics facilities and somewhere that will live on for generations celebrating the achievements of two of our finest alumni."

In 1956, Haynes and Dr. King became the first Black student-athletes to play major college football in Texas when they became members of the North Texas freshman team. Both would move to the varsity as sophomore in 1957.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

I believe I saw in a previous post a reference to an interview with these two gentlemen.  I didn't have time to read/listen to it at the time and can't find the post.  Is there a link to this interview?

The interview was superb. I think it can be found on this link:

meangreensports.com
(the interview is a podcast)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, gmg147 said:

Hey everyone, 

Thank you! 

Look for the guy with the meat balls 

• Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, gmg147 said:

Hey everyone, 

Thank you! 

11am (ish) Stroll the Blue Lot and Hill and crash some tailgates and meet some new friends/alumni.

1:30pm Dedication of the new Unity Plaza celebrating Abner Haynes and Leon King.  I believe that is on the west side of the Indoor Practice Facility/Athletic Center.

2pm (ish) Head to the Alumni Pavilion for a beer and to catch up on the days games.

2:30pm Head to your seat.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:04 PM, gmg147 said:

Hey everyone, 

Thank you! 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6iYyOXfMfWXjEWDfGJvqUq?si=5xrBq4vaQ2Wq7PY3nfp-2Q

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

Worth listening to these interviews.  If you want even more background on the breaking of the color barrier in Texas in major college football, read The Game Changers by Jeff Miller.  UNT was the place it happened and the Unity Plaza will honor the men who broke the barrier.  

Dedication at 1:30 pm Saturday before the Homecoming Game

• Thanks 1