Jump to content

Heard Something Troubling Today


Recommended Posts

These threads are hilarious, most of these posts have to be satire but the past two weeks the following have been cancelled:

- Vito, The Mayor, Scrappy, Seth, Aune (cancelled and then uncancelled), Wren, the Administration, the entire Athletic Department, the Talons, UNT Sports Creative team, UNT Students, the city of Denton

Its almost as if we aren't the fastest growing school in Texas, and we didn't blow out WKU on the road last week. To put things in perspective:

2012

Basketball 12-20

Football 4-8

Conference: Sun Belt

2021-2022

Basketball - 25-7

Football 5-4

Soon to join the AAC

 

Edited by xyresic
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • RV 2
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, keith said:

This only applies to home games, but I made a suggestion earlier this year in the basketball forum (would apply to football as well) that after a home victory, the video display would switch to a live shot of the tower.  The Talons or whoever could come to center court (or field) with a big green button that when pushed, lit the tower (done remotely) and this would be a great tradition to keep the home crowd in the stands to actually see/participate in the lighting instead of it being done when no one is around to witness it.  They could make a big to do about it and would only take an extra 5-10 minutes after a game and allow the fans to celebrate the victory with the team.  Some things are too easy to not be done.

Good idea !

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Help me understand, what the hell does on-field performance have to do with letting the few traditions we have fall by the waist side?  
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

Putting "waist side" size to the wayside. You must have an alert anytime Aune is mentioned in a thread.

Players and recruits read these forums and I wanted to point out that the sky is not falling. The amount of complaints lately on everything related to athletics in these threads is overdone. Are some gripes justified, sure but do we need 10 threads a day about any small negative thing?

For example, I think the views on here about the homecoming parade are a bit rose colored glasses, participation had declined and it was just ok with out much student involvement. Things like the bonfire draw much more student interest.

I do think lighting the tower is a great tradition and a relatively easy fix. I think they should work out something there.

Edited by xyresic
  • Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, xyresic said:

For example think the views on here about the homecoming parade are a bit rose colored glasses, participation had declined and it was just ok with out much student involvement.

Yet somehow other schools have these traditions and get participation. A lot of this apathetic behavior helps to fuel the "commuter school" stigma we have. Does our University and the Athletic department do enough to promote "Game Day" experiences? 

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, xyresic said:

Putting "waist side" size to the wayside. You must have an alert anytime Aune is mentioned in a thread.

Players and recruits read these forums and I wanted to point out that the sky is not falling. The amount of complaints lately on everything related to athletics and that in my opinion it all seems a bit overdone. Are some gripes justified, sure but do we need 10 threads a day about any small negative thing? For example think the views on here about the homecoming parade are a bit rose colored glasses, participation had declined and it was just ok with out much student involvement. Things like the bonfire draw much more student interest.

I do think lighting the tower is a great tradition and a relatively easy fix. I think they should work out something there.

You're only helping to hammer the point home.  We have to SUPPORT these traditions with our time, money and energy or participation will fall and they will go away.

We have to decide if we want these things, and if we do, do the things that are required to keep them going.

Nothing happens without action.

All that said, when you pair this lack of lighting the tower with actual student butts-in-seats at football games this year....it doesn't paint a very good picture.  We have a lack of interest and engagement problem.  Good news is that that can be addressed with some targeted action to drive up attendance, incentivize participation in homecoming activities (like EVERY Big12/SEC school does), maintain old traditions or create new ones, etc....

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Yet somehow other schools have these traditions and get participation. A lot of this apathetic behavior helps to fuel the "commuter school" stigma we have. Does our University and the Athletic department do enough to promote "Game Day" experiences? 

That brings up some good issues.  Does upholding traditions fall on paid staff that will come and go?  Those people are not usually alums of NT, nor probably actually care about them.  Students and University organizations must be tasked with maintaining our traditions.

Now marketing, promotions, communication, Game day experience, yes, should definitely be the responsibility of the AD  and Athletic Dept.  That seems to have fallen short several times recently for reasons we don’t really know!?  Here, fill out a survey!

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Coach Mac Andy said:

Look, I’ve been saying this for a while now. I don’t really know what this AD does well at this point. They’ve cratered student attendance which has been our strength since Apogee opened, let all of our traditions fall apart, can’t run an in-game presentation, results on the football field are not satisfactory…

At some point you have to look at Wren. I don’t think this is what we meant by New Denton.

Because there is no “New Denton”…it’s something that homers and newcomers want to believe in…the culture doesn’t want this to be important here, so it’s not…unless we beat schools people have heard of and care about.

  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Coach Mac Andy said:

Look, I’ve been saying this for a while now. I don’t really know what this AD does well at this point. They’ve cratered student attendance which has been our strength since Apogee opened, let all of our traditions fall apart, can’t run an in-game presentation, results on the football field are not satisfactory…

At some point you have to look at Wren. I don’t think this is what we meant by New Denton.

He's done an above average (if not excellent) job at hiring head coaches, across all sports.  Gotta give him that, at least.  Hard to hold him accountable for the traditions part, but I certainly think it's an area he can influence (see the new Maniacs for basketball).  The other points you make I can't refute.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

He's done an above average (if not excellent) job at hiring head coaches, across all sports.  Gotta give him that, at least.  Hard to hold him accountable for the traditions part, but I certainly think it's an area he can influence (see the new Maniacs for basketball).  The other points you make I can't refute.

I believe Wren Baker is a treasure for UNT Athletics & I’d hate to lose him, but his treasure’ness might not be seen or appreciated until he has hired the full gamut of varsity head coaches.  After all, he did hire Grant McCasland.  
I think he also communicates with our rich & famous quite well, too.  I think he seems to impresses them & that is most important.  
 
GMG!

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.