Heard Something Troubling Today

UNTLifer

Why didn't Wren or the Athletic Department not know about the change to tower lighting before it was brought to their attention by a fan? Shouldn't someone in the department communicate frequently with Talons? Not everything falls at the feet of the Athletic Department but student engagement is their responsibility. There are no signs around campus for games. They just aren't doing enough to get the students invested. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mrs. Esterhouse said:

Why didn't Wren or the Athletic Department not know about the change to tower lighting before it was brought to their attention by a fan? Shouldn't someone in the department communicate frequently with Talons? Not everything falls at the feet of the Athletic Department but student engagement is their responsibility. There are no signs around campus for games. They just aren't doing enough to get the students invested. 

This isn’t a new thing. RV was AD when I was a student and the only thing that was on campus that would signify we had a game that weekend was a ticket trailer outside of Willis. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

This isn’t a new thing. RV was AD when I was a student and the only thing that was on campus that would signify we had a game that weekend was a ticket trailer outside of Willis. 

There have been years with yard signs advertising games, pep rallies in the Union, coaches and players going around campus talking to students, giving out shirts. I haven't seen any of those things in years around campus. The only reason most students know it's a game week is because of the signs telling them to move their cars which piss them off more than motivate them to support the team. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

I believe that there is an organization that is capable of perpetuating the spirit and traditions...it's called the Talons.

It needs to be larger though in my opinion.  The largest group should be the spirit group, much on the order of the basketball Maniacs.  I can see them taking up an entire lower section next to the band.  Let them wear T-shirts that say Talons on the front.  Let a leader of the Talons appear at the indoctrination boot camp to try to recruit incoming freshman students (or transfer students).  The louder they can yell, the better.  They should be ambassadors of UNT to the student body.  Teach them the traditions.  Maybe they should be responsible for lighting the tower.  As many as possible should be on the first row to high-five the players at the end of the game.  The Talons should not be limited to males.  Females are welcome; the more the merrier.  Have a fund-raiser to cover the cost of the T-shirts.  Or, worst case scenario they might have to purchase their own the first year.

Keep the cannon crew.  Since the Model A can't circle the field, I don't see much need for the vehicle being more than a showpiece.  Although if you could get a loud oogah horn and sound it off after every score it could add a little celebration.

The thing is to get as many involved as you possibly can and it will perpetuate itself.  It's fun!

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Literally everything you just described is what Talons once was.  I know this because I was the President.  And we accomplished more BEFORE the university funded us than is being done now.  

Joe Biden Smile GIF

Seriously though...

A few substantial, meaningful ways to fix most or all of this...

1. I'll say it, recruit better students. Go get well-rounded students...

GT, 4H, student council, football, baseball, soccer, softball, band, cheer, AG, etc. Go get students that care about things that don't exclusively involve X student. Commit to that type of student. It will take a few generations to see dividends, but there is fruit there.  

2. Dedicate a real mentorship program for incoming freshmen and students in general that connect connected alumni to walk them through college life, UNT traditions, the community, the workforce via connections, etc. 

So much more could be done.  

• Upvote 7

There are several issues that myself and other Talons' Alumni have been trying to fix for years. There are a ton of issues, but I guess it all just boils down to some think that everything should be handed to them and no work should be involved. I don't know what it will take to fix issues, aside letting some Talon Alumni run the organization for a year so they can see what needs to be done. 

This is one of many other issues that are out there.  Let's just say that you're not the only one who is less than thrilled at the current state of traditions. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Seriously though...

A few substantial, meaningful ways to fix most or all of this...

1. I'll say it, recruit better students. Go get well-rounded students...

GT, 4H, student council, football, baseball, soccer, softball, band, cheer, AG, etc. Go get students that care about things that don't exclusively involve X student. Commit to that type of student. It will take a few generations to see dividends, but there is fruit there.  

2. Dedicate a real mentorship program for incoming freshmen and students in general that connect connected alumni to walk them through college life, UNT traditions, the community, the workforce via connections, etc. 

So much more could be done.  

Who are the students that give the campus tours to potential new students?   Those type student-ambassador kids are what's needed.   

Have a Talon-rep in each dorm wing and nearby apartments to spur game attendance.   Offer incentives for being active members....  like prime parking on gamedays, a prime tailgate area, discount card to the stadium store, meet and greet with coaches and teams, a VIP Talons drawn each game to get sideline passes or club level access, etc.   Lots of ways to entice membership.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

Who are the students that give the campus tours to potential new students?   Those type student-ambassador kids are what's needed.   

Have a Talon-rep in each dorm wing and nearby apartments to spur game attendance.   Offer incentives for being active members....  like prime parking on gamedays, a prime tailgate area, discount card to the stadium store, meet and greet with coaches and teams, a VIP Talons drawn each game to get sideline passes or club level access, etc.   Lots of ways to entice membership.

The problem isnt the number, or lack thereof, that's the issue.....

A majority of the time but I was a Talon, there were MAYBE 30 active members. 

• Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

100%. 

I have never understood why meet and greets don't happen... not just for the big time student type fans, but the children of alumni. It takes no money to do this, just a very small amount of time. Also, create an autograph sign up day where fans, students, alum can come.to Apogee and literally pay X dollars for signed memorabilia. Also, a VIP pass (with a price) that allows fans under the big scoreboard to greet players as they enter into the stadium for the game. 

Again, there are so many inexpensive things that can be done. We, just, aren't. 

• Thanks 1

People used to shit on Talons in my era for not being visible enough (probably because of our lack of membership - a good semester we had about 30 actives, one we had around ten), but one thing we definitely did was turn the damn tower lights on.  I would have killed for some of the support they get from the school now, we never had any money and had to beg our administrative sponsor for funds to do big things.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

People used to shit on Talons in my era for not being visible enough (probably because of our lack of membership - a good semester we had about 30 actives, one we had around ten), but one thing we definitely did was turn the damn tower lights on.  I would have killed for some of the support they get from the school now, we never had any money and had to beg our administrative sponsor for funds to do big things.

Yep, now they have everything they need, and they want everything done for them. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Yep, now they have everything they need, and they want everything done for them. 

I heard they were provided a budget of $10,000. Is that correct?  If so, I would love to know that they are doing with it. I apologize if I ever criticized you all in the past. You all did a great job. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2022 at 10:41 AM, UNTLifer said:

What bothers me about this is the lack of care about our few traditions and the silence with which they disappear.

1.  Homecoming Parade: cancelled under the guise of sustainability.  Nobody questions it and poof its gone.  I sent an email to UNT about it last year and received a canned response which I found ridiculous.

2.  The Lighting of the Tower:  the department sure uses this slogan to promote things.  The NIL Group, hashtags on every tweet, etc. yet they allow the Talons to decide it is just too difficult to walk over and flip a switch.  It appears from what I have heard, that this caught WB off guard and he is taking steps to correct this issue.

3.  The Model A: It was left out in the elements to rot, converted to an electric vehicles that never ran, converted back, put on display at Apogee for all to see and then "poof" it was gone.  Nobody said a word.  

4.  Boomer: it took the efforts of an alumni, who found it out in the elements rotting away, to restore it and teach the current Talons how to use it correctly.  Every year he trains a new group and every year he finds it in a condition that reveals they aren't taking care of it to the level it requires.

I reached out to this alumni and he confirmed everything and then shared even more.  The problem is that the alumni that really care are worn out with the constant battle with administration that doesn't care or get it and they are starting to give up.  We need more people to be vocal about these issues, and others, and fight to keep our few traditions in place.  The lighting of the tower, or lack thereof, was only brought to the attention of Wren Baker because a fan/alumni that posts on Twitter took a picture of a dark Administration Building Tower after the WKU game.  Barstool UNT posted on Oct. 29th "yo, @wrenbaker did we pay the electric bill?  Need to see this shit lit up." 

This alumni that has ties to the Talons showed me a list of reasons as to why it hasn't been done.  One person complained that there were weeks where they might have to go up there six or seven times, one complain about catching the flu or Covid, etc...  They were all ridiculous.  Now, I was not a part of Talons, but they are our official spirit group and those that choose to join know what is required.  If they don't want to do it, then have someone else that cares take up this charge.

Off my soapbox, but this pisses me off to no end.  I can imagine how those Talons that worked hard through the years feel.  People like @CMJ @emmitt01 @FirefightnRick and others made that a great organization.  It shouldn't just fall on their shoulders to make sure these traditions are upheld.  Speak out if you believe these are vital to our university.  Don't sit by and one day wonder where they all went.

I agree 100%. When I was a student from 2007-2010 the talons didn’t seem to care then either. It’s pretty sad

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/3/2022 at 8:15 PM, NT80 said:

I believe you are referring to the Eagle Ambassadors.  My wife was part of the inaugural group. https://tours.unt.edu/meet-our-team

On 11/3/2022 at 3:27 PM, Coach Mac Andy said:

Look, I’ve been saying this for a while now. I don’t really know what this AD does well at this point. They’ve cratered student attendance which has been our strength since Apogee opened, let all of our traditions fall apart, can’t run an in-game presentation, results on the football field are not satisfactory…

At some point you have to look at Wren. I don’t think this is what we meant by New Denton.

Do we need to file a FOIA request to find out how many students claim tickets through the app vs. how many actually attend?   It would be interesting to know, for example, if 90+% who claim (download) a ticket attend vs. only 10-15% who claimed a ticket attend.  Anything that gets in the way of students attending will be a hinderance.  It seems petty, but I'm sure some see an app that gets used a handful of times a year is a hassle and will avoid using it and by association avoid walking through the gates to attend the game.