Why is the Mayor of Denton not promoting UNT Homecoming Weekend?

cousin oliver

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

Promoting UNT’s homecoming football game is actually in the other duties as assigned list of job responsibilities for the mayor, in my opinion. In other words, it’s way down the list of things I want my mayor worried about. Homecoming is about alums and the school has to be the primary marketer for that. If someone from UNT picked up the phone and asked him to retweet something about Homecoming, my guess is he would do it.

But you have no problem with him promoting the TWU wrestling team in lieu of UNT Homecoming?

Season 9 Ok GIF by The Office

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Promoting UNT’s homecoming football game is actually in the other duties as assigned list of job responsibilities for the mayor, in my opinion. In other words, it’s way down the list of things I want my mayor worried about. Homecoming is about alums and the school has to be the primary marketer for that. If someone from UNT picked up the phone and asked him to retweet something about Homecoming, my guess is he would do it.

I’d love to get your take on how the mayor of Dallas has the time to support SMU, but Denton’s mayor doesn’t for UNT? Or how supporting a local university of 40k students would be unimportant to an elected official?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTethered Eagle said:

I’d love to get your take on how the mayor of Dallas has the time to support SMU, but Denton’s mayor doesn’t for UNT? Or how supporting a local university of 40k students would be unimportant to an elected official?

Oh, good grief. I didn’t say he doesn’t have time. I have no idea what his schedule this week looks like. My point is that he does support UNT. I’ve seen him at football, basketball, etc. You can see that by scrolling through his tweets/retweets related to UNT. The presence of a tweet about TWU this week does not equate to a lack of support of UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

4 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Oh, good grief. I didn’t say he doesn’t have time. I have no idea what his schedule this week looks like. My point is that he does support UNT. I’ve seen him at football, basketball, etc. You can see that by scrolling through his tweets/retweets related to UNT. The presence of a tweet about TWU this week does not equate to a lack of support of UNT.

It highlights apathy towards our school and program, kind of like your apologist stance imo. 

The point is that his Twitter “voice” is louder and more impactful than you seeing him at a few games for the overall growth of our school and program. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

On 11/3/2022 at 10:54 AM, drex said:

And then the dirty little secret...TWU.  They seem to never want to overlook TWU or make them mad by supporting UNT.

Heard that excuse for decades, although it has never made any sense. 

Support both, unless there is a rare game against TWU and NT then be neutral. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

He tweets a post promoting an intra-squad wrestling match from an all women’s university yet silent on UNT’s homecoming. Then again, all women’s wrestling. He may be on to something. Just sayin’

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Heard that excuse for decades, although it has never makes any sense. 

Support both, unless there is a rare game against TWU and NT then be neutral. 

It doesn’t work like that. TWU claims they are overlooked as a mostly female college that is much smaller. The DRC grabs those complaints and runs with them, saying TWU is being mistreated. What Denton politician or social leader wants to run into that hornets nest? Nobody. Hence, TWU and UNT are treated equally by Denton, when they are not. But it’s like CUSA being stuck with Judy McLeod…not one college administrator is gonna say that she sucks ass at her job, knowing full well that he will be fired for sexism ASAP. Same goes for Denton leaders with TWU.

UNT is held back by Denton—always has been. And we can’t do a thing about it.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

On 11/2/2022 at 10:54 PM, UNTLifer said:

None of that matters now. He is the mayor of Denton and UNT is its biggest employer and a huge economic driver. He should promote everything UNT related. 

Yeah. I’m not arguing that. It’s weird. 

• Upvote 3

What amazes me on this board is how many people are surprised about this or act like this is not who Denton is…

This has ALWAYS been Denton. The towns’ people don’t care about or just loathe athletics at UNT. The university’s administration and faculty have made that even easier to do for the Dentonites, too, as well as the student body they influence. 

Look at Vito and his columns. He expects us to be thrilled with .500 and a bowl game every year, since we’ve usually sucked. Never once asks what it would be like if the town cared more or if the university made winning its main priority…why? Because he knows the constituency for whom he writes for…it is what it is.

• Upvote 3

On 11/3/2022 at 9:53 AM, Big Z said:

Does the Mayor even come to the games? 

Yes, he does and brings his family.  Personally, I don't think that it is the Mayor's job to promote parades.  Now if he prevented them from happening then I'd agree.   

The person that harmed the football interest was Al Hurley.  We were Division 1-A but the NCAA issued the "mandate" that to remain at that level we had to have a stadium of 30,000.  Chancellor Hurley admitted that he may well have been killing North Texas football but that he was taking the money that would have been used to enlarge the stadium and spent it on improved curriculum and professors.  We were then dropped to Division 1-AA.  Sure enough, interest and attendance dried up.  I was so mad that I boycotted the program the first year.  I eventually came back though but few did.  We suffered through twelve long years of the Southland Conference before Fouts Field was enlarged.  Still, the only increase in interest was when we joined the Missouri Valley Conference and our time under Hayden Fry as an independent.  

Next year is the time to raise student interest.  Most of the conference will be familiar as I believe that we have played everyone but Temple.  The difference is that the AAC was considered the premier G5 conference.  It is said that that the American Athletic Conference will receive two spots in the expanded playoff system.  We, at least, have a chance to be a National Champion!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

Yes, he does and brings his family.  Personally, I don't think that it is the Mayor's job to promote parades.  Now if he prevented them from happening then I'd agree.   

The person that harmed the football interest was Al Hurley.  We were Division 1-A but the NCAA issued the "mandate" that to remain at that level we had to have a stadium of 30,000.  Chancellor Hurley admitted that he may well have been killing North Texas football but that he was taking the money that would have been used to enlarge the stadium and spent it on improved curriculum and professors.  We were then dropped to Division 1-AA.  Sure enough, interest and attendance dried up.  I was so mad that I boycotted the program the first year.  I eventually came back though but few did.  We suffered through twelve long years of the Southland Conference before Fouts Field was enlarged.  Still, the only increase in interest was when we joined the Missouri Valley Conference and our time under Hayden Fry as an independent.  

Next year is the time to raise student interest.  Most of the conference will be familiar as I believe that we have played everyone but Temple.  The difference is that the AAC was considered the premier G5 conference.  It is said that that the American Athletic Conference will receive two spots in the expanded playoff system.  We, at least, have a chance to be a National Champion!

I remember this dreadful wrong turn for North Texas athletics. I was a young fan/ student who grew up in Dallas and just felt betrayed after so much HOPE of building a credible D1 program in Texas and the Metroplex. All I can say now to you guys who care and bleed GREEN is “Don’t give up again.”  Be loud, expect more !  There’s not a damn thing wrong with being proud of the Mean Green. 

• Upvote 3

This thread has taken a turn away from the original point - which was a comparison between the mayor of Dallas and the mayor of Denton with regard to promoting the local D1 university football team. 

We’re off talking about anecdotal encounters and defending schedules and work priorities. 

The fact remains that SMU (our current/soon to be rival and conference mate) was promoted via twitter by the mayor of Dallas, and  Denton’s mayor shared a TWU tweet the week of our homecoming.

Edited by UNTethered Eagle

21 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Looking at some of his social media besides twitter, he still has a full time real job in IT. Plus, he's got four daughters including a couple (at least) that are still in grade school. The guy is busy. Everything I read he's doing a generally good job as mayor except tweeting about UNT. 

If you're a Denton resident and concerned, pick up the phone and call him. Send him an email. Go to a Chamber of Commerce event and talk to him personally. He's not some unreachable guy! 

The UNT Homecoming should be promoted mostly by UNT. It is FAR more than a football game! It should be UNT coordinating promotions with the city AND the county. But you can't do that the week of the event - they should have started in July or August planning the promotions! That UNT dropped the promotion opportunity is not the Mayor of Denton's fault. 

I doubt he’s formally running the account honestly, which is why I find this somewhat insulting. An intern could easily promote all of Denton and use that platform to develop and grow collectively. 

I second all of your points - fans need to be involved and engage with the city of Denton and the university. But let’s not forget what UNT brings to Denton. 

Mayor Hudspeth did a great job of speaking at the Unity Plaza event yesterday at 1:30 pm.  He is a well spoken mayor & he is a Mean Green supporter.  They say in politics you have to be all things to all people & the World’s Largest University Predominately For Women just happens to be in the city he governs so obviously he can show no partiality.  

I hope Vito will post his coverage of this special event sometimes today.  I say about 300 fans all spread out were in attendance.  

I got to say hello & hug the great Abner Haynes.  At age 85(?) he brought up a 1985 Mexican lunch in Fort Worth with Mean Green great Ron Shanklin, himself & I had at Dos Gringos.  💰That was 2 hours of Mean Green gold for this fan & it was the first time I had ever heard “the train to UH incident”  when the Houston hotel management said “no blacks allowed.”  That particular Jim Crow era story did have a happy ending—others in the U.S. did not.  
Shank’ told me at that Ft.Worth lunch how a prominent Arkansas Razorback called him years later out of the blue & told him: “You do know North Texas actually won that 1968 game, right?” (You who were at that game will know exactly what Ron Shanklin was talking about).

•••BTW,  veteran college football fans will remember that it was the very next year that Frank Broyles’ Arkansas hosted DKR & the Longhorns in “the Game of the Century.”   
️️ ️ The quality of Mean Green football in the 1960’s was unbelievably astounding. Wish I could have seen it, but I was in high school. 

Below are 2 pics I took at Unity Plaza yesterday. 
       •••RIP, Ron Shanklin

00283EFB-28AD-43A0-AFE5-CF352D72D4C4.thumb.jpeg.0306aef7aea4c497a58c0027e256b645.jpeg

Below are Abner Haynes, Joe Greene & Leon King.

C0AD2109-C6E3-4421-B347-715801087BDF.thumb.jpeg.453d9e70af7e813fcf6eaa326c62269e.jpeg

This pic taken by the FIU beat writer on Saturday shows location of the Unity Plaza in proportion to surrounding venues.

690B8282-3F49-4811-8C9B-895AAFEEA609.jpeg.acd3d9d66fcfb92942c3d9aaf08dc731.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

Does anybody know what kind of promotions UNT runs for city of Denton employees? SMU offered 4 free tickets to this past game against Houston to every City of Dallas employee (I believe there was a $2 processing fee per ticket). It was the second time this season that I know of that SMU offered every CoD employee 4 free tickets. A flyer was sent out via email with a Fevo link. After that you just needed to put in your CoD email address and you got the tickets.

I don't know how many took the offer but at least they're reaching out. Does UNT do the same for city of Denton employees? SMU frequently gives free tickets to Dallas first responders. Does Denton do the same? I honestly don't know but if they don't, the definitely should. Got to start doing more to get butts in seats. Maybe cut the price of tickets? I don't know but clearly something needs to change to get more folks at Apogee on gamedays.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3