Why is the Mayor of Denton not promoting UNT Homecoming Weekend?

cousin oliver

Willing to bet the people downvoting my comment:

1.) don’t live in Denton
2.) have never met Hudspeth

Seriously, the guy has a handler with him at all times and can not make it through a sentence without getting confused. I’m not sure he’s all there. This is not a partisan thing. He’s just a moron. The guy made a burner to like his own post.

Edited by Coach Mac Andy
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • Downvote 3

Welp….since the Mayor went to Denton High School and graduated from North Texas, I could see why it’s weird he doesn’t acknowledge his alma mater. Maybe because when he attended the university sports was terrible and he never got involved? The whole situation is weird I suppose but it seems like he never became a fan in the first place probably because the team sucked while he was there. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Coach Mac Andy said:

Willing to bet the people downvoting my comment:

1.) don’t live in Denton
2.) have never met Hudspeth

Seriously, the guy has a handler with him at all times and can not make it through a sentence without getting confused. I’m not sure he’s all there. This is not a partisan thing. He’s just a moron. The guy made a burner to like his own post.

Lol I’ve kinda heard the exact same thing. Met him at a tailgate and thought he was kind of a dodo

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Welp….since the Mayor went to Denton High School and graduated from North Texas, I could see why it’s weird he doesn’t acknowledge his alma mater. Maybe because when he attended the university sports was terrible and he never got involved? The whole situation is weird I suppose but it seems like he never became a fan in the first place probably because the team sucked while he was there. 

Should be all the more reason to promote a better UNT. Dumbest reasoning ever.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Denton & my group of non-Dentonite North Texas Exes will show at Apogee in great numbers if we can ever (consistently) give them something entertaining & impressive in the number of annual wins department.  
Just 3 Things:  Wouldn’t hurt for us to have consecutive winning seasons, wins over schools with notable NCAA name recognition & national rankings. 

In my lifetime as an alum best we did was 4 “W” seasons in a row that included wins over Tennessee, Houston, SMU, Memphis, 2 close games with Texas (blowing Longhorn fans away with almost 20,000 traveling Mean Green fans in 1976;  in fact, the Flying Worm & apple green unis’ never looked better).

The year 1974 Fry’s team only won 2 games, but we still beat a #19 (?) ranked San Diego State Aztecs football team. It was his only under .500 season. 

He then took the Iowa Hawkeye job & our roller coaster ride would begin the next 40+ years with some strange non-sensible hirings across the board. (We had one Coach who I hear apologized to the Nebraska coach for us even being there). 

Few staffers in my 50 years as a fan would ever leave UNT directly for a P5 job & I do mean few. That alone says something about that roller coaster ride.  Sometimes it even surprises me with the fan support we do have in light of that 3 ring circus of hirings we’ve seen in Denton since 1978. Note—Don’t take me wrong because there has been some good hires at UNT thru all the decades.

▶️  If thru the years we had retained most of the fans as seen in these two 1960’ish photos below, Apogee would have had to been built at a minimum of 45,000 seats, but consistent winning & ranked teams with wins over a few Big Boys would have been a requirement for that.

Like it or not Denton is located in a major league sports market & fans just expect more because of it. A D-1AA classification was never going to work.  •••We already know how UNT students will show up en mass for a winner, but outside those 4 winning seasons in the 70’s they (UNT students) from decades following the 70’s have not seen any consistency.  That’s my take on the situation.  
See y’all at the Unity Plaza Dedication Ceremony (for Abner & Leon) 1:30 pm Saturday & the Homecoming football game which follows. 
GO MEAN GREEN!  

BCEE363F-36D6-468B-8EC2-C9012E8DAD72.jpeg.306d8bdebbe38ac9646d41a7ebed742a.jpegB99F503D-AD02-4B87-AA6A-965EB71D64F3.jpeg.6ab28d055c8297ed0019a31521312280.jpeg

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

None of that matters now. He is the mayor of Denton and UNT is its biggest employer and a huge economic driver. He should promote everything UNT related. 

Maybe at some point we stop blaming fans and the city of Denton and put the responsibility on the University of North Texas to do what it takes to bridge the gap on these relationships. 

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Maybe at some point we stop blaming fans and the city of Denton and put the responsibility on the University of North Texas to do what it takes to bridge the gap on these relationships. 

Sorry if you took it that way.  I stand by my comment that the Mayor should promote UNT.  I also agree that North Texas could do more to connect to the city.  As with any "relationship", both sides have to contribute.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Sorry if you took it that way.  I stand by my comment that the Mayor should promote UNT.  I also agree that North Texas could do more to connect to the city.  As with any "relationship", both sides have to contribute.

I am in agreement. Piss poor job by him. I just wish we could put an end to the lack of support from alumni and the Denton area. Something needs to change and I believe it has to start with UNT athletics reaching out.

• Upvote 3

If you actually take the time to look at his tweets and retweets, you’ll see that he does promote UNT. Seriously, go look. There are tweets about being at football practice, in-game retweets, retweets celebrating Hank’s basketball championship ring. I’ve seen him at games with his family. I think you’re off on this.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

If you actually take the time to look at his tweets and retweets, you’ll see that he does promote UNT. Seriously, go look. There are tweets about being at football practice, in-game retweets, retweets celebrating Hank’s basketball championship ring. I’ve seen him at games with his family. I think you’re off on this.

No offense meant, but that is just not true.  Yes he has posted or retweeted a few things here and there but on the week of UNT homecoming his most recent tweet is a TWU wrestling post?  Please don't accept when an elected official is not doing his damn job!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3

Promoting UNT’s homecoming football game is actually in the other duties as assigned list of job responsibilities for the mayor, in my opinion. In other words, it’s way down the list of things I want my mayor worried about. Homecoming is about alums and the school has to be the primary marketer for that. If someone from UNT picked up the phone and asked him to retweet something about Homecoming, my guess is he would do it.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1