Scrappy's Influence on the Program

meanJewGreen

1 hour ago, meanJewGreen said:

know Scrappy has been our mascot for many years.  But to me, it seems that their (playing into modern gender roles here) disinterest and general apathy when it comes to firing up the crowd really make a difference on how students and five year olds going to their first games feel about UNT  The players treat them as a barrier to get around during warmups...and the dancing often portrays someone that has a less than healthy relationship with the product on the field.  The coaches caravans (when they feel like coming) and other community events have a different feel, but they just seem off when it comes to their full support of UNT. 

Is it time for a new mascot for UNT?

I'm sure that Scrappy is a nice eagle and I wish them no harm, especially since Eagles are considered endangered species (both the animal and the fickle UNT football fan).  But it seems to me that some positive energy and more hip thrusting during games couldn't hurt!

Excellent, Sir. Your nail-on-the-head satire is not wasted at my house as I'm sure it's equally appreciated round about... including Vito's place.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Victorygreen04 said:

Y’all want to get rid of everybody today. Seth..Brett Vito… now scrappy. What’s wrong with you people lol

I’m starting to wonder what @Victorygreen04’s influence on the program might be.

I know he’s been a poster here for a few years, but to me, it seems like his second-guessing of our posts around here really makes a difference in how posters feel about UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Ray 1

1 hour ago, Victorygreen04 said:

Y’all want to get rid of everybody today. Seth..Brett Vito… now scrappy. What’s wrong with you people lol

We want anarchy. Storm Apogee. Pillage the field and bring the remnants back where Fouts stood so students don’t have to walk the extra 5 minutes across I-35. 

we want to bring back the past. Dig up Odus Mitchell’s grave! Have his corpse upright on the sideline! Then and only then we will have a winning coach, the ultimate standard bearer gracing us with his illuminating presence! Better yet, abolish the forward pass at UnT for we are running back university!

ok back to reality tv now 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

PETA approves this message. They think that imitating an endangered animal is offensive against those that identify as an eagle and in general it's bad for the environment.

PETA ?   Is that People Eating Tasty Animals ?

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

know Scrappy has been our mascot for many years.  But to me, it seems that their (playing into modern gender roles here) disinterest and general apathy when it comes to firing up the crowd really make a difference on how students and five year olds going to their first games feel about UNT  The players treat them as a barrier to get around during warmups...and the dancing often portrays someone that has a less than healthy relationship with the product on the field.  The coaches caravans (when they feel like coming) and other community events have a different feel, but they just seem off when it comes to their full support of UNT. 

Is it time for a new mascot for UNT?

I'm sure that Scrappy is a nice eagle and I wish them no harm, especially since Eagles are considered endangered species (both the animal and the fickle UNT football fan).  But it seems to me that some positive energy and more hip thrusting during games couldn't hurt!

I believe "old Scrappy" person graduated in the past few years, and they seem to have not been able to find a good news Scrappy. 

My kids love Scrappy and will go to the game because they might get some Scrappy Time, and over the past few years Scrappy has been less and less visible. I assume it's because they fight over who has to play Scrappy that day/half/quarter.

Years ago, it seems, whoever did Scrappy was very athletic and a very good dancer. Very entertaining at the basketball games. Don't know what the requirements are for Scrappy, but that person was very talented and added a lot to the presentation. 

There also use to be a guy who would push a dust broom across the court who wore a green pom pom type wig as he danced while pushing the broom. Anyone remember that guy? Very entertaining.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

PETA approves this message. They think that imitating an endangered animal is offensive against those that identify as an eagle and in general it's bad for the environment.

So, should this bring the nude or nearly so PETA demonstrators to Apogee some Saturday? I hope so.

Edited by eulessismore
correct spelling
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

Well after getting the animal crackers out of the cages and into an open field they do need some important to do.  I wonder If they now those animal crackers are not real animals.  Somehow I have vision of the PETA group sitting around conference table and giving high fives to each other after finding that freed the animal crackers.

May Scrappy live forever!

• Upvote 2