Uniform for Homecoming

Victorygreen04

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I believe '73-'82

Best logo ever!!, and really sharp uniforms with the green pants.   

However, I do not think this retro helmet green is the exact green used in the Coach Fry era.  This one is a little too lime green.  Coach Fry's helmet was a little shade darker, more apple green.  How do I know?   I have two Fry helmets, one I had signed by Coach Fry in person.  One is on loan to UNT Athletics....you may have seen it in some of their ads.  It's normally kept in a display case I think up in the stadium suite level hallway (photo below). 

And if any of you have any old Flying Worm memoribilia, helmets, etc that your wife wants you to get rid of...send me a Personal Message!!  Maybe we can do a trade or $wap some stuff or $omething.

12010364.jpeg&width=540&height=304

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 4

The Flying Worm—-In memory of our friend Richard “Rick” Scarborough Spears—the “flying worm” creator. He first created it on a cocktail napkin then showed it to Hayden Fry who liked it back in 1973. 
Rick told his “worm” story to many of us & the official color number of the apple green that he chose (which Fry also approved). That color number escapes me now. ••• By the way, ol’ Rick never liked the name flying worm.  RIP, Rick Spears.  

4323E267-5850-4790-9D32-E87CA23284AF.png.a2dc19cb9abeb58642183286943e4306.png

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

The Flying Worm—-In memory of our friend Richard “Rick” Scarborough Spears—the “flying worm” creator. He first created it on a cocktail napkin then showed it to Hayden Fry who liked it back in 1973. 
Rick told his “worm” story to many of us & the official color number of the apple green that he chose (which Fry also approved). That color number escapes me now. ••• By the way, ol’ Rick never liked the name flying worm.  RIP, Rick Spears.  

4323E267-5850-4790-9D32-E87CA23284AF.png.a2dc19cb9abeb58642183286943e4306.png

https://meangreensports.com/news/2020/9/17/general-visual-history-of-the-flying-worm

Fry_with_Uniform.png&width=1600&type=web

11 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Longhorns too.

Isn't their burnt orange jersey their home? 

*Just saw your edit. I was interested and looked it up and found:

"Saturday's vintage white uniforms, featuring white pants, white jerseys along with burnt orange numbers and trim, will mark the first time that the Longhorns have worn their famously referenced "icy white" uniforms for a home game since Sept. 30, 1950, vs. Purdue. The Longhorns won that game, 34-26. "

I think our situation is still a little bit different. We aren't commemorating a specific game where we wore white and I'm assuming (someone who knows correct me if I'm wrong) we usually wore green at home during those years. If what @tmjerm says is true the team would have likely chosen green as the jersey color if they could have. 

All that to say I still think they look really good and glad we are doing something special for homecoming haha. Hopefully they advertise it as a white out. 

Edited by Green Otaku

10 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Fire 🔥🔥🔥 Side note, the general public seems to love our other throwbacks but does not like these ones. lol

The first time I showed my wife that logo she said, and I quote, "WTF is that?!"

She's not a fan of the Flying Worm.  I can deal with the logo, but it's never been a favorite of mine.  I absolutely despise that color of green though.  If we were gonna go with the Worm I wish we'd do it with our current green.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Nothing quite says "Retro" like changing the colors😈

A large part of the fanbase wants to go back to the worm exclusively.  On the off chance that actually were to happen, I'd pray that we didn't go with the apple green.

• Downvote 1

Yes please!  If nothing else, it creates some buzz, separates us from the crowd and gets people talking.  As the saying goes, there's no such thing as bad publicity.  The decal fits so much better on the helmet than SOW does which is why we end up with an oversized part of SOW (wing feathers) as our helmet logo.  We should somehow incorporate the green apple green (if that's what it's called) into the trim or accent parts of our uniforms.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, CMJ said:

The first time I showed my wife that logo she said, and I quote, "WTF is that?!"

She's not a fan of the Flying Worm.  I can deal with the logo, but it's never been a favorite of mine.  I absolutely despise that color of green though.  If we were gonna go with the Worm I wish we'd do it with our current green.

So you and Cousin Oliver are related?

For the old guys do you remember when the McDonals had lighting  that match the helmets of the era.  I thing each light had 4 or five mini helmets on it I wish I was around when they taking out they would looked great over our dining room table.  most likely in the garage my wife would not go for it in the dining room.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

31 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

For the old guys do you remember when the McDonals had lighting  that match the helmets of the era.  I thing each light had 4 or five mini helmets on it I wish I was around when they taking out they would looked great over our dining room table.  most likely in the garage my wife would not go for it in the dining room.

Yep.  I thought the light fixtures had four lights with full sized helmets  

2 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Even after looking up who that is, I'm still not sure what you're talking about.

Sorry.  He posted that it upset his girlfriend when Bennett yelled at the players.  My lame attempt at some humor

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep.  I thought the light fixtures had four lights with full sized helmets  

I recall them being full size helmet shells with lights in them.  I thought it was so cool McDonalds would support the school like that, and at a prime stopping spot for highway visitors and kids!

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 3