Brett Vito's Influence On The Program

2020 Sucks

2 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

Is it time for a new beat reporter for UNT and DRC/DMN?

Oh hell no! Not even maybe. He is suppose to objectively report to the best of his ability. He does a good job at that the vast majority of the time. 

2 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

it seems to me that some positive energy and spin in the reporting couldn't hurt

You don't want a reporter, you want a cheerleader that can write. If you want that, just read the press releases from the athletic department and skip all other coverage. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Oh hell no! Not even maybe. He is suppose to objectively report to the best of his ability. He does a good job at that the vast majority of the time. 

You don't want a reporter, you want a cheerleader that can write. If you want that, just read the press releases from the athletic department and skip all other coverage. 

Even then, Brett is kind of a cheerleader himself. I've seen a few times where people get on Littrell for his constant "coach-speak," which Brett just brushes off saying he gets loads of information for his articles from that coach-speak (I doubt it). I, myself, have gotten on Brett for many of his green-tinted articles which paint happier pictures than the real truth.  

• Upvote 1

I have stated several times that NT is very lucky to have a beat reporter covering the program.  There are not very many actual newspapers left anywhere.

Personally, I like Vito; but think he takes the objectivity standard too seriously. 

Who cares that his journalist standards are maintained.    My guess maybe him and very few others. 

I actually take the DRC, a fact that I have been told on this forum, no one cares about; just to read about NT sports.  

It is NT's coaches job to be open with and endure the press.  That is basically Vito and a student reporter. 

I want a Brett that is both willing to criticize NT and be a fan when things go well. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If I can have only one beat writer, then I would prefer for that person to be objective and not a cheerleader. If I have two then i would also like to have a cheerleader, but only then. Nothing pisses me more of than when nobody asks the important questions. SL already gets way to many softballs. You ask me, BV isn't tough enough on the program at times. Cheerleading a .500 program makes it look like that is the standard.

Cheerleading is the domain of the university media staff. They do that, which is ok, its their job. I rarely read them for a reason, its that it stops being informative real quick.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

What’s up with people only wanting to hear news they like or opinions they agree with?

Confirmation Bias.  People have bought into the MAGA-Trump BS, and have implemented it not only in their political beliefs, but everything that relates to their lives.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

My issue was never about quality...its about expectations and his ".500 is good enough because it's better than it used to be" attitude.  That gets communicated to the audience...it has to have an affect on ticket sales, clicks, recruits, etc.

Being objective and still wanting more from the team is perfectly acceptable.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, 2020 Sucks said:

My issue was never about quality...its about expectations and his ".500 is good enough because it's better than it used to be" attitude.  That gets communicated to the audience...it has to have an affect on ticket sales, clicks, recruits, etc.

Being objective and still wanting more from the team is perfectly acceptable.

"Wanting more from the team" is not in his job description though.   What he wants from the team are stories.   Now, you might think that after, what? 20 years? ...of covering the team, he might just be a die-hard fan like us.  But that doesn't appear to be the case.   And it doesn't have to be.

It's not the newspaper beat writer's job to stir up ticket sales, clicks, recruiting, etc...   That's the Athletic Department's and football team/staff's jobs.

I think you're mistaking Vito's interest for Brune's.

• Upvote 6

18 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I have stated several times that NT is very lucky to have a beat reporter covering the program.  There are not very many actual newspapers left anywhere.

Personally, I like Vito; but think he takes the objectivity standard too seriously. 

Who cares that his journalist standards are maintained.    My guess maybe him and very few others. 

I actually take the DRC, a fact that I have been told on this forum, no one cares about; just to read about NT sports.  

It is NT's coaches job to be open with and endure the press.  That is basically Vito and a student reporter. 

I want a Brett that is both willing to criticize NT and be a fan when things go well. 

It is very rare to see someone stick in a position like this for so long. It’s a thankless job covering G5 programs for a living. Brett is great at it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

20 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Even then, Brett is kind of a cheerleader himself. I've seen a few times where people get on Littrell for his constant "coach-speak," which Brett just brushes off saying he gets loads of information for his articles from that coach-speak (I doubt it). I, myself, have gotten on Brett for many of his green-tinted articles which paint happier pictures than the real truth.  

Your truth or the real truth? The real truth doesn’t care about happy or unhappy pictures, it simply is what it is.

If you would listen to the press conferences and then read Brett’s articles you very clearly see that essentially all of the quotes in Brett’s articles come directly from those press conferences. That isn’t fluffing up Littrell, that is simply the way it works.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If you would listen to the press conferences and then read Brett’s articles you very clearly see that essentially all of the quotes in Brett’s articles come directly from those press conferences.

That is better than Brett simply making up quotes! Of course, I'll be he could write some very interesting articles is he chose to make up some quotes! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Vito does a great job, the only thing that bothers me about him is listening to his "questions" at press conferences, which is really him just leading his subjects down a path to confirm a story idea he has.

All that being said, if the conferences weren't video'd i would never know about it.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1