Brett Vito's Influence On The Program

2020 Sucks

I know Brett has been working the UNT beat for many years.  But to me, it seems that his apathy and mediocre expectations play a lot into how the community (who reads his articles) and the recruits (who get his articles and see his tweets when they search) feel about UNT.  Seth treats him as an adversary...and his articles often portray that less than healthy relationship.  The press conferences definitely are much different than how he treats Hank at the coaches show.

Is it time for a new beat reporter for UNT and DRC/DMN?

I'm sure that Brett is a good guy and I wish him no harm.  But it seems to me that some positive energy and spin in the reporting couldn't hurt!

• Upvote 8
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 6
  • Downvote 20
  • Puking Eagle 2

9 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

It's why he's won several awards for his work in the last few years for writing the articles and blogs that he does. 

Based on his performance, you'd think he'd be recruited/hired away by a P5 conference local paper. 😜

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

My problem with him is his expectations for the program are stuck in 2001. He actually inferred last week on Twitter that fans who expect UNT to be a top G5 program are delusional. He also seems to think every bowl season under Littrell has been a success. Even if we finish the year under .500. 

I know us fans want more from the athletic department. I'm sure covering this team during the Dodge and McCarney years would make you very cynical.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

Brett does a good job week in week out - he has to stay in the middle and not let his or others opinions detract from the story. 
Seth doesn’t seem to always like the questions he gets but that’s not a Brett issue its a Seth issue. Actually I think the coaches need to be more transparent with him so we could see inside a bit better but you can see that’s not something Seth supports. I say he’s doing the best he can with what he is given. He is a very practical dude and wants us to win as much as any of us but he still has to tell it like it is. Think about it as it would be a hell of a lot easier and fun to write about a team that is winning lots of games and some championships and bowls but “we ain’t that type of program are we today” 🤔

Like the old saying “don’t kill the messenger” as he has zero to do with our plight IMHO 

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, ntexeagle said:

One of the requirements of a reporter is to report.  Hopefully that reporter will truthfully report facts.

Brett is in a tough situation.  He has to report things as they happen and without bias.  He must also work closely with the head coach.  If he makes the coach angry, he stands a chance of losing his “Inside source” and causing the coach to completely cut him off.

It is my belief that Brett does a very fair job of reporting the story.  He is not supposed to be a cheerleader.

Exactly. Apparently the GMG pitchfork mob is out for blood today. I understand going after the underperforming HC making millions of dollars but to go after the local sports beat writer making a living on a reporter’s salary is savage.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

My problem with him is his expectations for the program are stuck in 2001. He actually inferred last week on Twitter that fans who expect UNT to be a top G5 program are delusional. He also seems to think every bowl season under Littrell has been a success. Even if we finish the year under .500. 

This is my thing. I like Brett but his view regarding this school is stuck in the 1990's. Every little good thing that happens to us should be appreciated because "How could we expect more than that at little ole' UNT?" Anytime we mention wanting more or having higher expectations for things, he always says something to the effect of, "Well, that's not what has been the norm in UNT's history so be happy with what you have or temper your expectations." 

I respect that Brett is stuck between a rock and a hard place regarding his coverage for NT athletics and he generally does a good job covering all sports but the above is my biggest pet peeve with him. Brett, it is fine to want and expect more from this school while still appreciating how far we have come from our past. 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

I think Vito does a stand up job! Do I agree with everything he writes, No but thats fine with me.

Do I Like to give him a hard time on occasion, Yes but thats all in good fun and doesnt diminish the fine work he does. 

Just because he still has a view of the program from 2001 doesnt make him a bad report, it gives him a history with the program and knows where we have been and where we are now. I value his work with this program. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

I think Vito does a stand up job! Do I agree with everything he writes, No but thats fine with me.

Do I Like to give him a hard time on occasion, Yes but thats all in good fun and doesnt diminish the fine work he does. 

Just because he still has a view of the program from 2001 doesnt make him a bad report, it gives him a history with the program and knows where we have been and where we are now. I value his work with this program. 

But how does a reporter who has covered a program for so long get so out of touch with the program's goals and expectations? Does he really think UNT built Apogee, the indoor practice facility, and made Littrell the highest paid coach in C-USA just to win 5-7 games? 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

25 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

But how does a reporter who has covered a program for so long get so out of touch with the program's goals and expectations? Does he really think UNT built Apogee, the indoor practice facility, and made Littrell the highest paid coach in C-USA just to win 5-7 games? 

Meanwhile, every other G5 program in the country sat back and did nothing to improve their programs over the same time span.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1