More On Homecoming Saturday..Abner Haynes/Dr.Leon King Unity Plaza Ceremony Info..Apogee Parking Already Selling Out.

PlummMeanGreen

•••UNT Homecoming Saturday    
••• Weather: Sounds like a perfect Fall Saturday.

https://meangreensports.com/news/2022/10/27/football-unt-athletics-to-dedicate-new-unity-plaza-on-nov-5

Homecoming, Fouts Field, 1985    
 (a very nice crowd that day)

Photo is Mean Green broadcast team of Bill Mercer (Rt) & UNT alum Craig Way (who is now the Radio Voice of the Texas Longhorn Network). 

A3D0A3D9-AD47-4792-A86E-7B7CE871C010.jpeg.b6d5de80f9babbf90f0ec4f9a2c6c67c.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to More On Homecoming Saturday..Abner Haynes/Dr.Leon King Unity Plaza Ceremony Info..Apogee Parking Already Selling Out.
6 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Weather.com just updated to sunny sky’s and 70s weather for the 3pm start.  Why cancel the bonfire and parade?  

They cancelled the parade last year due to some "sustainability" b.s.  Why would they cancel the bonfire?

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

https://www.ntdaily.com/homecoming-returns-to-in-person-format-set-for-second-week-of-november/#:~:text=Among the activities which will,aligning with university sustainability policy.

Among the activities which will not be returning this year is the Homecoming Parade, a decision Jackson attributed to declining student participation, as well as the amount of litter produced not aligning with university sustainability policy. 

“We decided to move our focus to events we know students will be more likely to come to,” Jackson said. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

i wonder how hard it would be to form a GOMEANGREEN.com unauthorized Homecoming Parade ?  Not the parade, the organization to put a parade together.  I think if we could get permission from the City people would participate, Greeks would build floats and maybe we could get the Green Brigade to march.  

Discuss among yourselves.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

https://www.ntdaily.com/homecoming-returns-to-in-person-format-set-for-second-week-of-november/#:~:text=Among the activities which will,aligning with university sustainability policy.

Among the activities which will not be returning this year is the Homecoming Parade, a decision Jackson attributed to declining student participation, as well as the amount of litter produced not aligning with university sustainability policy. 

“We decided to move our focus to events we know students will be more likely to come to,” Jackson said. 

I think this is just a convenient excuse.  I've looked through The University Policy Office site at https://policy.unt.edu and can't seem to find any reference to a "University Sustainability Policy."  Maybe someone else is better at finding it than me.  Anyway, if you pick up the litter, there isn't any litter produced.  Problem solved.  Or, make it a challenge to the students and organizations to hold the parade in a "sustainable" way and showcase that to the world.  Sort of like they do at the Waste Management Open in Scottsdale.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

My guess is it has less to do with sustainability than it does lack of student interest. If I’m a frat and can spend money on a killer tailgate party for my chapter and our alums coming into town or build a float that a few of our alums might show up to see, I’m throwing a tailgate party. My guess would be other student orgs have similar views.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

With all due respect to Ms Jackson, I call bs on this. It’s been a minute for me but Greek life used to have homecoming competitions that included float building. In fact, many student orgs built floats. Seems pretty student engaging to me. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

With all due respect to Ms Jackson, I call bs on this. It’s been a minute for me but Greek life used to have homecoming competitions that included float building. In fact, many student orgs built floats. Seems pretty student engaging to me. 

I agree totally with you here. Also, this ran through my mind from the beginning of your statement 

image.gif.38acfc1e54a32d808c4197f079c496cd.gif

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

•••UNT Homecoming Saturday    
••• Weather: Sounds like a perfect Fall Saturday.

https://meangreensports.com/news/2022/10/27/football-unt-athletics-to-dedicate-new-unity-plaza-on-nov-5

Homecoming, Fouts Field, 1985    
 (a very nice crowd that day)

Photo is Mean Green broadcast team of Bill Mercer (Rt) & UNT alum Craig Way (who is now the Radio Voice of the Texas Longhorn Network). 

A3D0A3D9-AD47-4792-A86E-7B7CE871C010.jpeg.b6d5de80f9babbf90f0ec4f9a2c6c67c.jpeg

Seems as if I saw something a few weeks ago about an interview with Abner Haynes and Dr. Leon King, but I can't find it.  Does anyone have a link to this interview?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tmjerm said:

Pomping sucked but what a great way to meet chicks that was.  

Yeah, it was horrible at the time, thank goodness for those sororities really doing most of the work. Still, while it was not fun at the time, I have a lot of great memories like protecting the float the night before from being messed up by another organization.

• Upvote 3